New Peco Rail Joiners

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7 8:42 PM
      I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has seen them and can comment?

      Mark
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8 8:18 AM
        Hi Mark,all,
        I do use Peco N-scale code 55 on the Z layout I am
        building(still!)
        I usually solder feeders underneath the rails,....

        Best,Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8 9:41 AM
          Kev,
          As you describe, is exactly how I do it. However Peco is advertising them prefab: http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=PL80
          and was wondering about the cost/labor trade-off.
          Mark

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8 10:05 AM
            Hi Mark,all,
            Well IMHO soldering is a skill needed in MRR,so why not do
            it yourself? :-)
            What I don't like is how the wire is soldered to the side,yes it can be
            buried in ballast but still,...

            Best,Kev

            On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM, mark2playz <mark.markham@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Kev,
            > As you describe, is exactly how I do it. However Peco is advertising them
            > prefab: http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=PL80
            > and was wondering about the cost/labor trade-off.
            > Mark
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Mark,all,
            > > I do use Peco N-scale code 55 on the Z layout I am
            > > building(still!)
            > > I usually solder feeders underneath the rails,....
            > >
            > > Best,Kev
            > >
            > > On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM, mark2playz <mark.markham@...>wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power
            > feed
            > > > rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has
            > > > seen them and can comment?
            > > >
            > > > Mark
            > > >

            > > --
            > > Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

          • BAZ
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 8 1:38 PM
              I solder to both under rail (between ties) or under the joiner. Works reliably for our DCC modules for years.

              You still have to connect to the short Peco wires.

              Jeff

              Sent 'from the road'

              On Jul 8, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mark,all,
              > Well IMHO soldering is a skill needed in MRR,so why not do
              > it yourself? :-)
              > What I don't like is how the wire is soldered to the side,yes it can be
              > buried in ballast but still,...
              >
              > Best,Kev
              >
              > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM, mark2playz <mark.markham@...>wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Kev,
              >> As you describe, is exactly how I do it. However Peco is advertising them
              >> prefab: http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=PL80
              >> and was wondering about the cost/labor trade-off.
              >> Mark
              >>
              >> --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Hi Mark,all,
              >>> I do use Peco N-scale code 55 on the Z layout I am
              >>> building(still!)
              >>> I usually solder feeders underneath the rails,....
              >>>
              >>> Best,Kev

              >> feed

              >>> --
              >>> Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

              > --
              > Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

            • Garth
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8 8:04 PM
                The Peco illustration show the wire soldered at right angles to the rail joiner in Z scale this is a very small cross section and joint can easily be broken it the wire is move to much. I solder the wire in line with the joiner with an elbow already bent in it, so wire is already pointing down below joiner. I it is easy to make a jig for soldering wire to rail joiners. Just need a short piece of scrap rail put it into a pin vice to hold it and put the pin vise in the jaws of a bigger vice with the bottom of the rail facing up, push rail joiner onto rail, then solder wire to back of rail joiner making sure you don't over do it solder rail joiner to the rail being used as a jig. Once done install on track and put wire down through the road bed through a small hole, so wire is hidden as well as solder joint, this insures no melted ties on track. This is best done with new rail joiners so they are a tight fit to the rail across the joint of two rails. To make the joint tin the end of the wire and the back of the rail joiner. bend the elbow in the wire put foot of elbow on rail joiner and apply heat from iron to the wire when you see solder melt in the joint between the wire and joiner remove the iron from your joint and let cool should be done, now you can install it. You want to use a rosin core solder fairly fine in diameter. DO not use plumbing type older and flux as it is not designed for this application and will destroy your track at joint over time. Use solder designed for soldering component to a circuit board.

                regards Garth

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

                > Kev,
                > As you describe, is exactly how I do it. However Peco is advertising them prefab: http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=PL80
                > and was wondering about the cost/labor trade-off.
                > Mark
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Mark,all,
                > > I do use Peco N-scale code 55 on the Z layout I am
                > > building(still!)
                > > I usually solder feeders underneath the rails,....
                > >
                > > Best,Kev
                > >
                > > On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM, mark2playz <mark.markham@>wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed
                > > > rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has
                > > > seen them and can comment?
                > > >
                > > > Mark
                > > >

                > > --
                > > Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

              • rgminutillo
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9 4:11 AM
                  I only have experience with sectional track, but I have used the Atlas N-scale pre-wired rail joiners and they seem to work very well on Marklin track. Tougher to use them on road-bed track, or course, but not impossible.

                  RGM

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

                  > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has seen them and can comment?
                  >
                  > Mark

                • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 9 10:13 AM
                    Folks,

                    I believe that Atlas has had these rail joiners with feeders pre-soldered available for some time. As Garth says, it's easy enough to do for yourself, but if it's too much hassle (I'm certain not everyone has Garth's skills), the Atlas joiners would be satisfactory.

                    CheerZ,
                    -- Malcolm Z
                    MCZ Models

                  • mark2playz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 9 10:41 AM
                      All,
                      Thanks for the input. My main interest was whether Peco was doing something superior to what I can do, such as a spot weld.

                      Mark

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

                      > I only have experience with sectional track, but I have used the Atlas N-scale pre-wired rail joiners and they seem to work very well on Marklin track. Tougher to use them on road-bed track, or course, but not impossible.
                      >
                      > RGM
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has seen them and can comment?
                      > >
                      > > Mark

                    • Kevin Brady
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 9 2:58 PM
                        Hi Mark,all,
                        That I doubt.Easy to do,...

                        And yes Atlas did these per-solderered rail joiners in HO and N.
                        As I stated before I had to solder Veissmann Z-scale signal kits with macro
                        LED's and circuit boards.

                        Best,Kev

                        --
                        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service