Re: Kato Controller

  • joeszajko
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 24, 2013
      I have not posted here in a bit, but I have read many of the replies and well, I think many people responded who have never used a Kato controller, and that bugs me a bit.

      Truth, the voltage could get too high...if you run trains at light speed then yes this could be an issue.

      Fact, kato is pure DC, it might be the "best" power pack of any scale. You would be fine using it for Z if you do not go too fast. If you run it too fast and ruin your loco's that is on you. It is better than the MRC 1300 or tech 2. The white marklin packs are in my mind junk.

      If you want the best DC controller for Z get a Jorger, it has EMF and your trains can run at a slow constant speed better than anything. The snail speed is ok, not close to the jorger.

      Well, it is your choice, but take a look at the "Pro Z" power pack, they are sometimes on sale on ebay. Quite frankly I think they are the same thing as the Kato. I do not own a pro Z power supply but boy do they look the same.

      As for Rokuhan, I do not own one but I was not impressed with the slow speed operation based on the video on youtube.

      My two cents baised on my personal equipment and what I have ran and seen with my eyes. All the best.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "heljan" <kbuxton71@...> wrote:

      > Is it okay to use a Kato Controller on Z Marklin loco's ??? - I find that Marklin controller does not allow loco's to run slowly at bottom position of dial - I use Kato controller on N scale which seems more sensitive and produces very slow speeds

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2013
        There are a large variety of Kato controllers and no model information was given. I have two of the least expensive of Kato Controllers, the blue box which uses a wall transformer for your connection to household AC, which I use for N-scale, yes they can be used for Z -scale, but I don't use them because when I am at shows I prefer to use a controller where guest operators can operate and there is not fear of them inadvertently putting too much juice to an engine. Yes you can glue a block on the front panel to limit the power output. There is also the consideration of what happens in a short as the unit has current protection, but I have not tested to see how fast it reacts. at 1.5 amps it is not excessive, when operating multiple engines.putting a coin across the track definitely pops the breaker and you have to push to reset. I certainly prefer it to the 1300 controller that is sold by Micro Trains, but that is just personal preference, there is not technical reason for that choice.

        regards Garth

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2013
          I agree wtih you 100% if you are not the one at the controller, then never use a power supply that can go over the recommended voltage for Z. For some reason there is a select group of people that always wants to see "how fast" they go. That can cause dammage for sure.