Pad Printing

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
      > What about pad printing? Who in the U.S. does pad printing for hire? - Malcolm Z <

      Deluxe Innovations. Some years ago, I recall reading/hearing something about DI's willingness to pad print cars not their own. I don't know if that applies to other scales, or if it's still accurate information.

      Would you mind posting if you find a good source?

      -Brian Chapman
      Evansdale, Iowa
    • Jonathon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
        On 06/14/2013 01:00 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

        > for such technology because the costs are heavily based on material
        > volume. Z is big enough the features are printable, small enough to be cheap, N likewise.

        This assumes that the 3D design plans will be easily obtain.
        It also assumes that the non-printable parts will be easily obtainable.

        > I mostly do N these days but a lot of my recent stock is stuff I designed and built from a mix of 3D print, cut vinyl, etching and other technologies. Much more fun than buying little boxes from shops.

        For the layout I'm working on, all of the rolling stock will have to be
        either scratch-built, or printed from 3D plans I create.

        jonathon
        --
        Email with a status of other than "junk", "bulk", or "list" is forwarded
        to Dave Null, unread.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2013
          On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 03:15:08 +0000
          Jonathon <jonathon.blake@...> wrote:

          > On 06/14/2013 01:00 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
          >
          > > for such technology because the costs are heavily based on material
          > > volume. Z is big enough the features are printable, small enough to be cheap, N likewise.
          >
          > This assumes that the 3D design plans will be easily obtain.
          > It also assumes that the non-printable parts will be easily obtainable.

          3D models take some time to learn to construct but its a skill you can
          learn which does not require access to expensive machinery and in fact
          the design side can be done with software that's either free software or
          zero cost proprietary software. It's also (at least this side of the
          pond) a skill that is now taught in schools as part of technical
          education - so kids are coming out of college having done 3D printing
          work, 3D CAD and the like.

          For non printable parts American Z is well served with trucks, wheels and
          couplers easily available.

          For things like weights or small parts that are too fragile when printed
          you can also do white metal drop casting at home without anything major
          (except maybe permission from the household authorities to use the
          kitchen as a metalworks ;) )

          There isn't a fundamental barrier to doing this stuff yourself, likewise
          CNC machining and tool making. You can get hand plastic moulding machines
          for peanuts second hand. Not something you'd want to run a major
          production run on but perfectly good for very low volume work, and much
          easier to cut tools for as you don't need ejector pins and other
          complexities.

          The key to bringing production back home wherever you are is to go do it.

          Alan
        • Greg Elmassian
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
            Yes, NOT to get political...

            Please tread carefully gentlemen, facts good, political aspersions or rants will result in things disappearing.

            Thank you in advance for keeping "on track" with trains.

            The moderators.