Re: [Z_Scale]

  • Rick Saviano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
      Not to get political, but it's more like they want to run the
      non-Chinese mold makers out of business. That's what happened to the
      U.S. clothing industry.

      - Rick Saviano

      On 6/13/2013 5:50 PM, Malcolm Kent Cleaveland wrote:
      > More and more, I get the impression that the Chinese are eating our lunch because some of them really care about each customer, even the small ones.

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
        On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:39:41 -0500
        Rick Saviano <saviano@...> wrote:

        > Not to get political, but it's more like they want to run the
        > non-Chinese mold makers out of business. That's what happened to the
        > U.S. clothing industry.

        It's simply a matter of their wage bills being much much lower than very
        expensive US labour. That is changing rapidly because China is rapidly
        building a middle class of its own and they also want flat screen
        televison, nice cars and the rest of it.

        Quite a lot of clothing has been moving back the other way. Some of our
        model companies in the UK are doing more of their work here as well, and
        Hornby (our biggest model brand) is moving about 10% more of its
        production back to the UK.

        Plus you need to remember that in some cases (eg Bachmann) it's a Chinese
        company in the first place - they merely outsource some business to the
        USA ;-)

        Europe does have a fair number of people doing tooling and moulding work,
        or you can do your own. There is nothing intrinsically "magic" about
        plastic moulding that requires massive production lines. In fact I know
        people who cut plastic kit tooling and run them in their shed. They are
        CNC cutting rather electro-eroding so the quality is a tiny shade lower
        but its rare that matters.

        Pad printing is also widely available because it's not a 'speciality' -
        there are people pad printing everything imaginable all over the world.
        Again it's not a speciality art - the machinery is not that cheap but it
        is available off the shelf, and Europe is full of people who will run pad
        print jobs.

        3D print is also beginning to change the rules. although we are not quite
        at the critical point (which is going to be a $10K printer with
        acceptable media costs at Shapeways FUD range of quality). It'll get
        there and that plus home CNC kit will change the world. Z is also ideal
        for such technology because the costs are heavily based on material
        volume. Z is big enough the features are printable, small enough to be
        cheap, N likewise. By the time you hit HO it's incredibly expensive 8)

        I mostly do N these days but a lot of my recent stock is stuff I designed
        and built from a mix of 3D print, cut vinyl, etching and other
        technologies. Much more fun than buying little boxes from shops.

        You don't need to buy pre-assembled little plastic trains from China, you
        have a choice.

        Alan
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
          > What about pad printing? Who in the U.S. does pad printing for hire? - Malcolm Z <

          Deluxe Innovations. Some years ago, I recall reading/hearing something about DI's willingness to pad print cars not their own. I don't know if that applies to other scales, or if it's still accurate information.

          Would you mind posting if you find a good source?

          -Brian Chapman
          Evansdale, Iowa
        • Jonathon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
            On 06/14/2013 01:00 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

            > for such technology because the costs are heavily based on material
            > volume. Z is big enough the features are printable, small enough to be cheap, N likewise.

            This assumes that the 3D design plans will be easily obtain.
            It also assumes that the non-printable parts will be easily obtainable.

            > I mostly do N these days but a lot of my recent stock is stuff I designed and built from a mix of 3D print, cut vinyl, etching and other technologies. Much more fun than buying little boxes from shops.

            For the layout I'm working on, all of the rolling stock will have to be
            either scratch-built, or printed from 3D plans I create.

            jonathon
            --
            Email with a status of other than "junk", "bulk", or "list" is forwarded
            to Dave Null, unread.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 15, 2013
              On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 03:15:08 +0000
              Jonathon <jonathon.blake@...> wrote:

              > On 06/14/2013 01:00 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
              >
              > > for such technology because the costs are heavily based on material
              > > volume. Z is big enough the features are printable, small enough to be cheap, N likewise.
              >
              > This assumes that the 3D design plans will be easily obtain.
              > It also assumes that the non-printable parts will be easily obtainable.

              3D models take some time to learn to construct but its a skill you can
              learn which does not require access to expensive machinery and in fact
              the design side can be done with software that's either free software or
              zero cost proprietary software. It's also (at least this side of the
              pond) a skill that is now taught in schools as part of technical
              education - so kids are coming out of college having done 3D printing
              work, 3D CAD and the like.

              For non printable parts American Z is well served with trucks, wheels and
              couplers easily available.

              For things like weights or small parts that are too fragile when printed
              you can also do white metal drop casting at home without anything major
              (except maybe permission from the household authorities to use the
              kitchen as a metalworks ;) )

              There isn't a fundamental barrier to doing this stuff yourself, likewise
              CNC machining and tool making. You can get hand plastic moulding machines
              for peanuts second hand. Not something you'd want to run a major
              production run on but perfectly good for very low volume work, and much
              easier to cut tools for as you don't need ejector pins and other
              complexities.

              The key to bringing production back home wherever you are is to go do it.

              Alan
            • Greg Elmassian
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
                Yes, NOT to get political...

                Please tread carefully gentlemen, facts good, political aspersions or rants will result in things disappearing.

                Thank you in advance for keeping "on track" with trains.

                The moderators.