Re: Injection molding

  • etendam
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ken Armstrong <kenarm322@...> wrote:

      > A year or so ago N-Scale magazine had a long article on making a molding
      > machine from a pottery wheel. >
      can anyone help me getting the article?

      Ed
    • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
        Folks,

        On Tue June 11 2013 etendam wrote: "I've seen molds made of liquid Aluminum (Resin)used by hobbyist."

        Ed,

        I think I've seen that, too. My impression is that even milled aluminum molds have a very limited lifespan, and I am going to want to make thousands of shots. My belief is that is way more than an aluminum resin, and perhaps even more than a milled aluminum mold could do.

        On the other hand, Bowser insisted on making me a chrome steel mold guaranteed for a million clean shots (I think the price mentioned was $15k, at which point I almost fell off my chair). I told them that if they guaranteed I'd live long enough to sell a million, I'd pay the price, because it would be a guarantee of immortality.

        CheerZ,
        -- Malcolm Z
        MCZ Models

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
          > On the other hand, Bowser insisted on making me a chrome steel mold guaranteed for a million clean shots (

          Boggle. I don't think even the big name vendors are using chrome steel
          moulds any more.

          Alan
        • BAZ
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
            Aluminum can do 1,000's if the right grain and treated like T3. Aluminum is generally $5K a pair. Add-on details (slides), accessories (roof walks, railings, trucks, etch.) and you spend easily another $5K+. Most anywhere in the world now.

            Jeff

            Sent 'from the road'

            On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Malcolm Kent Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

            > Folks,
            >
            > On Tue June 11 2013 etendam wrote: "I've seen molds made of liquid Aluminum (Resin)used by hobbyist."
            >
            > Ed,
            >
            > I think I've seen that, too. My impression is that even milled aluminum molds have a very limited lifespan, and I am going to want to make thousands of shots. My belief is that is way more than an aluminum resin, and perhaps even more than a milled aluminum mold could do.
            >
            > On the other hand, Bowser insisted on making me a chrome steel mold guaranteed for a million clean shots (I think the price mentioned was $15k, at which point I almost fell off my chair). I told them that if they guaranteed I'd live long enough to sell a million, I'd pay the price, because it would be a guarantee of immortality.
            >
            > CheerZ,
            > -- Malcolm Z
            > MCZ Models

          • David Mummery
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
              Malcolm,

              Just a thought, if you have the drawings ready to go there are 100s of CNC Mills on the secondary market, lightly used from a very soft market, everything from bench top to room size.
              Thinking out loud,
              Dave

              Dave Mummery

              http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/