Re: Injection molding

  • Ken Armstrong
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2013
      A year or so ago N-Scale magazine had a long article on making a molding
      machine from a pottery wheel. They used silicone molding compound to
      make the molds from handmade or copied prototypes. Molded items were
      thin and fairly small but it worked.
      Ken A.
    • etendam
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ken Armstrong <kenarm322@...> wrote:

        > A year or so ago N-Scale magazine had a long article on making a molding
        > machine from a pottery wheel. >
        can anyone help me getting the article?

        Ed
      • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
          Folks,

          On Tue June 11 2013 etendam wrote: "I've seen molds made of liquid Aluminum (Resin)used by hobbyist."

          Ed,

          I think I've seen that, too. My impression is that even milled aluminum molds have a very limited lifespan, and I am going to want to make thousands of shots. My belief is that is way more than an aluminum resin, and perhaps even more than a milled aluminum mold could do.

          On the other hand, Bowser insisted on making me a chrome steel mold guaranteed for a million clean shots (I think the price mentioned was $15k, at which point I almost fell off my chair). I told them that if they guaranteed I'd live long enough to sell a million, I'd pay the price, because it would be a guarantee of immortality.

          CheerZ,
          -- Malcolm Z
          MCZ Models

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
            > On the other hand, Bowser insisted on making me a chrome steel mold guaranteed for a million clean shots (

            Boggle. I don't think even the big name vendors are using chrome steel
            moulds any more.

            Alan
          • BAZ
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
              Aluminum can do 1,000's if the right grain and treated like T3. Aluminum is generally $5K a pair. Add-on details (slides), accessories (roof walks, railings, trucks, etch.) and you spend easily another $5K+. Most anywhere in the world now.

              Jeff

              Sent 'from the road'

              On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Malcolm Kent Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

              > Folks,
              >
              > On Tue June 11 2013 etendam wrote: "I've seen molds made of liquid Aluminum (Resin)used by hobbyist."
              >
              > Ed,
              >
              > I think I've seen that, too. My impression is that even milled aluminum molds have a very limited lifespan, and I am going to want to make thousands of shots. My belief is that is way more than an aluminum resin, and perhaps even more than a milled aluminum mold could do.
              >
              > On the other hand, Bowser insisted on making me a chrome steel mold guaranteed for a million clean shots (I think the price mentioned was $15k, at which point I almost fell off my chair). I told them that if they guaranteed I'd live long enough to sell a million, I'd pay the price, because it would be a guarantee of immortality.
              >
              > CheerZ,
              > -- Malcolm Z
              > MCZ Models

            • David Mummery
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2013
                Malcolm,

                Just a thought, if you have the drawings ready to go there are 100s of CNC Mills on the secondary market, lightly used from a very soft market, everything from bench top to room size.
                Thinking out loud,
                Dave

                Dave Mummery

                http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/