Continuing in Z (was Re: Getting Started in Z... New Starter Sets Available!)

  • vincentgoudreault
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "vincentgoudreault" <vgoudreault@...> wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@> wrote:
      > >
      > > While these are great ideas, I don't see them appropriate for a starter set. The goal of a starter set has to be the price. My Marklin 3 car F7 starter was the better part of $500 over 2 decades ago and the prices haven't drop since. I don't see many people running out to buy the current sets. This is the first thing a newcomer is going to look at and in current production I only see AZL's GP38 & MTL's F7 fitting the price range.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > Those desires of mine were not meant to be for starter sets. I do not need starter sets, I am already started (and had been started well over 25 years ago).
      > And I have a hunch most of us here on this forum do not really have a need for starter sets, except if they happen to combine cars that one was about to purchase independently anyway.
      > But starter sets are a great way for us, speaking to fiends and

      *fRiends* evidently.

      acquaintances, to let them know that they could catch the "bug" easily with what seems to be very attractive sets.

      > Once you get going and already have a roster, one looks for whatever else is needed to round up the old operation roster, and in may case,

      *my*, not 'may'

      I would like to see some GE hood units and modern tanks cars.

      > Sorry if the fact that new starters sets were the things that got me started on a different tangent let to a confusion about my posting.

      *led*, not 'let'

      > I should have changed the title (there, it is done).
      >

      > CBVG

      Sorry about the typos. The meds I am taking for this darn kidney stone are effective pain killers, but they also apparently doing some weird tricks with vigilance.

      And, yes, as it was suggested by someone else, those starter sets would make great gifts 6 months from now. So, if there is someone special on your list, get them sooner rather than later or risk seeing them sold out...

      CBVG
    • Robert Kluz
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013
        Just give it a little more time! GE hood units are coming. AZL is working on at least one that I know of. I am also sure we will see more modern tank cars. The 27,000 funnel flows have done very well. But that is just one design out of many.

        I am also open to suggestions on the sets. The first two set are larger and I am thinning about doing a smaller over set with a loco, battery controller and a couple of cars.

        I agree completely with Mark. I bought my Marklin stater set in 1985. I got a deal purchasing it in Germany. But when I got back to the US, the same set was selling for more than the cost of the sets I am offering!

        By the way, just this week, AZL sold out of their remaining SD70s. These were extremely popular. We are expecting another run later this year.

        Rob

        On Jun 1, 2013, at 5:44 PM, vincentgoudreault <vgoudreault@...> wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> While these are great ideas, I don't see them appropriate for a starter set. The goal of a starter set has to be the price. My Marklin 3 car F7 starter was the better part of $500 over 2 decades ago and the prices haven't drop since. I don't see many people running out to buy the current sets. This is the first thing a newcomer is going to look at and in current production I only see AZL's GP38 & MTL's F7 fitting the price range.
        >>
        >> Mark
        >>

        > Those desires of mine were not meant to be for starter sets. I do not need starter sets, I am already started (and had been started well over 25 years ago).
        > And I have a hunch most of us here on this forum do not really have a need for starter sets, except if they happen to combine cars that one was about to purchase independently anyway.
        > But starter sets are a great way for us, speaking to fiends and acquaintances, to let them know that they could catch the "bug" easily with what seems to be very attractive sets.
        >
        > Once you get going and already have a roster, one looks for whatever else is needed to round up the old operation roster, and in may case, I would like to see some GE hood units and modern tanks cars.
        >
        > Sorry if the fact that new starters sets were the things that got me started on a different tangent let to a confusion about my posting.
        > I should have changed the title (there, it is done).
        >

        > CBVG

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        Distributor American Z Line
        Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
        InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        www.zscaletrack.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • vincentgoudreault
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

          > Just give it a little more time! GE hood units are coming. AZL is working on at least one that I know of. I am also sure we will see more modern tank cars. The 27,000 funnel flows have done very well. But that is just one design out of many.

          Very glad to hear it!

          > I am also open to suggestions on the sets. The first two set are larger and I am thinning about doing a smaller over set with a loco, battery controller and a couple of cars.
          >
          > I agree completely with Mark. I bought my Marklin stater set in 1985. I got a deal purchasing it in Germany. But when I got back to the US, the same set was selling for more than the cost of the sets I am offering!

          Indeed. That AZL can offer quality at a price that is comparatively affordable, especially considering the inflation of the last 25+ years, does reflect positively on the soundness of the business model, and ultimately, the robustness of our favorite scale.

          > By the way, just this week, AZL sold out of their remaining SD70s. These were extremely popular. We are expecting another run later this year.

          Not wanting to get overly nosy and asking for what could be strategically sensitive business data, but how many units would that be?
          I am asking because, should this info be available, it could incite other promoters to enter the field with new products. While some may be a bit uncomfortable at seeing a limited size pie divided though harsh competitions, the fact remains that there are enough prototypes that have not yet been modeled in Z that several more ventures could be launched that would not directly compete with an alternate rendition of an already available specific model.
          How big a market do we Z-heads, either on this forum or off it, represent?

          CBVG
        • Robert Kluz
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
            Sorry I am not able to share sale numbers. But there were a good number made. AZL would have sold even more if we had not run out of the UP, CNs, BNSF, and UPs early on.

            The Z market is much larger than we give it credit. I think over 10,000 is not an unreasonable number. But many are just dabbling or experimenting in the scale. Also many are not active. But the market is growing.

            Rob

            Yes, the Z market is very much open. There are a lot of good products out there and more are in the works.

            On Jun 2, 2013, at 10:31 AM, vincentgoudreault <vgoudreault@...> wrote:

            > Not wanting to get overly nosy and asking for what could be strategically sensitive business data, but how many units would that be?
            > I am asking because, should this info be available, it could incite other promoters to enter the field with new products. While some may be a bit uncomfortable at seeing a limited size pie divided though harsh competitions, the fact remains that there are enough prototypes that have not yet been modeled in Z that several more ventures could be launched that would not directly compete with an alternate rendition of an already available specific model.
            > How big a market do we Z-heads, either on this forum or off it, represent?
            >

            > CBVG

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            Distributor American Z Line
            Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
            InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            www.ztrackresale.com
            www.zscaletrack.com
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Eddie Hen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2013
              I have to agree, for starter sets,  the price is the main issue. When I started looking at Z scale sets, I first looked at the price and then what came in the set.  I was lucky in that I found a shop getting out of the Z scale business and sold me a Marklin set at a great price.

              Eddie