Re: My Nest New Layout

  • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      On 05/14/2013 03:25 PM, johng800 wrote:

      > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n.

      Jonathan,

      A momentous decision indeed. If there has been any serious discussion of your question, I missed it. So:

      There is a lot more available in N than Z because N is more popular. This includes all kinds of track, switches, etc. and rolling stock, including locomotives. Doing DCC is easier in N, just because the locomotives are bigger and there will be a lot more people who can install DCC if it's not factory-installed. There are more accessories available, such as cars, trucks, buildings, etc.

      That said, Z is catching up. There are still some gaps, particularly in N. American style track (e.g., the most reliable switches are Rokuhan, but only available in European tie spacing and the only available flex track with N. American tie spacing is Micro-Trains (MTL), which comes in ridiculously short sections just over 12". As far as rolling stock goes, almost every modern freight car (modern tankers, autoracks, covered hoppers, boxcars, gondolas, flatcars) is available from either AZL or MTL. DCC is also available, some as drop-in boards. A word of caution, if you are interested in a switching layout you will have to go with MTL magnematic couplers, AZL won't do the job.

      Of course, both N and Z have a space advantage over HO and Z over N. Good luck!

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
      MCZ Models