RE: [Z_Scale] Re: NE-5 caboose?yes we need them

  • Larry Card
    Message 1 of 10 , May 17, 2013
      N5C. The porthole windows were my favorite PRR cabooses.

      http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/exhibits/equipment/cabooses/penn-n5c-cabin-car

      V/R
      Larry P. Card
      Franklinton NC
      _________
      ./__________\.
      (]]]___o___[[[)
      |\_o______o_/|
      |__|..........|__|

      > Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: NE-5 caboose?yes we need them
      >
      > > if there round window something we lacking <
      >
      > Thomas,
      >
      > Here is a link to an restored NE-5 caboose at the Illinois Railway Museum:
      > http://www.irm.org/gallery/CGW601/aad
      >
      > Round windows, a PRR caboose type? It is not an NE-5, off hand I don't know its designation.
      >
      > -Brian Chapman
      > Evansdale, Iowa

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 10 , May 17, 2013
        > As someone who is doing a different caboose for N scale, with an eye on Z, I decided against doing rivets. . . . A half inch detail in N is slightly smaller than the thickness of a sheet of paper (.004) .003 in N, .0022 thousandths in Z. Good luck with your project. -Joe S. <

        Joe, maybe this issue could be called "pyschological detail" <g>. You can't see the detail, it's so small (e.g., .0022" dia. rivets), but it's there and, thus, makes you feel good knowing it's there. I might try to mill a few tiny rivets on a small square of plastic, out of curiosity, to see what results. Nice thing about the NE-5 caboose, it's welded, not riveted.

        http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=N5a-E419126A.gif&sel=cbn&sz=sm&fr=

        > In the photo from the Illinois railroad museum,one window is sealed over. Would
        your model be that way or with both open? -Dan S. <

        I believe the plated window in the photo of the NE-5 was added by the CGW, to all of its 25 cabooses of this type. IIRC, the cabooses came to the CGW without stoves; when the railroad added them, the near window was plated over. I would not include the plate as part of the casting but as a separate item.

        You know, looking at a list on my wall here, I promised someone I would work on a Pennsy N5. Maybe, two birds with one stone? . . . (Although I would never throw a rock at a bird).

        > N5C. The porthole windows were my favorite PRR cabooses. -Larry C. <
        http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/exhibits/equipment/cabooses/penn-n5c-cabin-car

        Larry, if a prototype ever looked more like a Lionel model than the real thing, that photo shows it!

        Thanks much, fellas, for the information.

        -Brian Chapman
        Evansdale, Iowa
      • Ell
        Message 3 of 10 , May 17, 2013
          For those interested, check

          http://www.bing.com/search?q=NE-5+caboose&go=&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=ne-5+caboose&sc=1-12&sp=-1&sk=

          for a bunch of links including one with lots of images of NE 5 cabooses.

          Ell

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am cnc-cutting NE-5 cabooses (cabeese?) in TT scale (1:120) and N scale (1:160). I'd like to see what results I can get in Z scale. But, first, a couple of questions if I may:
          >
          > 1 - Does an NE-5 caboose exist in Z scale?
          >
          > 2 - The smallest end mill I have is .005" diameter, a bit larger than one scale inch in Z scale (.0045" is the correct figure?) What sort of detail level does the Z scale modeler demand - every rivet in its place, or if it can't be seen at a two foot distance forget about it? (Or something else?)
          >
          > 3 - What is the typical thickness of a car side in Z scale? That is, considering an NE-5 caboose, what thickness is acceptable for the sides and ends?
          >
          > Thanks much,
          >
          > Brian Chapman
          > Evansdale, Iowa

        • StonyS
          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2013
            If anyone is interested, I could change any these to round windows rather easily.. I just need to know what it is that people are looking for.

            http://shpws.me/lDcI
            http://shpws.me/lnIW
            http://shpws.me/lsS4