Re: [Z_Scale] NE-5 caboose?yes we need them

  • thomas cipelle
    Message 1 of 10 , May 16, 2013
      if there round window something we lacking

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16, 2013
        > if there round window something we lacking <

        Thomas,

        Here is a link to an restored NE-5 caboose at the Illinois Railway Museum:
        http://www.irm.org/gallery/CGW601/aad

        Round windows, a PRR caboose type? It is not an NE-5, off hand I don't know its designation.

        -Brian Chapman
        Evansdale, Iowa
      • thomas cipelle
        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2013
          check few others  I like it id buy 1

          ________________________________
          > if there round window something we lacking <

          Thomas,

          Here is a link to an restored NE-5 caboose at the Illinois Railway Museum:
          http://www.irm.org/gallery/CGW601/aad

          Round windows, a PRR caboose type? It is not an NE-5, off hand I don't know its designation.

          -Brian Chapman
          Evansdale, Iowa

        • JOE SWOGGER
          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2013
             As someone who is doing a different caboose for N scale,with an eye on Z, I decided against doing rivets. They are oversize in most N scale models. So it is proportionately  true for Z. A half inch detail in N is slightly smaller than the thickness of a sheet of paper (.004)  003 in N  ,.0022 thousandths in Z.Good luck with your project.

          • dpstripe
            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2013
              The caboose Thomas is thinking of is the Pennsy N5c. However, the NE-5 would be a good representation of the pennsy N5, N5a and N5b. Better than the "standard" Northeastern caboose.
              http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=N5a-E419126A.gif&sel=cbn&sz=sm&fr=
              In the photo from the Illinois railroad museum,one window is sealed over. Would your model be that way or with both open?

              I would be interested in a couple of them to modify into Pennsys (end details on Pennsy Cabin cars are reversed for some reason, ladders and brake wheels are opposite).

              Dan S.

              > if there round window something we lacking <

              Thomas,

              Here is a link to an restored NE-5 caboose at the Illinois Railway Museum:
              http://www.irm.org/gallery/CGW601/aad

              Round windows, a PRR caboose type? It is not an NE-5, off hand I don't know its designation.

              -Brian Chapman
              Evansdale, Iowa

            • Larry Card
              Message 6 of 10 , May 17, 2013
                N5C. The porthole windows were my favorite PRR cabooses.

                http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/exhibits/equipment/cabooses/penn-n5c-cabin-car

                V/R
                Larry P. Card
                Franklinton NC
                _________
                ./__________\.
                (]]]___o___[[[)
                |\_o______o_/|
                |__|..........|__|

                > Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: NE-5 caboose?yes we need them
                >
                > > if there round window something we lacking <
                >
                > Thomas,
                >
                > Here is a link to an restored NE-5 caboose at the Illinois Railway Museum:
                > http://www.irm.org/gallery/CGW601/aad
                >
                > Round windows, a PRR caboose type? It is not an NE-5, off hand I don't know its designation.
                >
                > -Brian Chapman
                > Evansdale, Iowa

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 10 , May 17, 2013
                  > As someone who is doing a different caboose for N scale, with an eye on Z, I decided against doing rivets. . . . A half inch detail in N is slightly smaller than the thickness of a sheet of paper (.004) .003 in N, .0022 thousandths in Z. Good luck with your project. -Joe S. <

                  Joe, maybe this issue could be called "pyschological detail" <g>. You can't see the detail, it's so small (e.g., .0022" dia. rivets), but it's there and, thus, makes you feel good knowing it's there. I might try to mill a few tiny rivets on a small square of plastic, out of curiosity, to see what results. Nice thing about the NE-5 caboose, it's welded, not riveted.

                  > The caboose Thomas is thinking of is the Pennsy N5c. However, the NE-5 would be a good representation of the pennsy N5, N5a and N5b. Better than the "standard" Northeastern caboose. <
                  http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=N5a-E419126A.gif&sel=cbn&sz=sm&fr=

                  > In the photo from the Illinois railroad museum,one window is sealed over. Would
                  your model be that way or with both open? -Dan S. <

                  I believe the plated window in the photo of the NE-5 was added by the CGW, to all of its 25 cabooses of this type. IIRC, the cabooses came to the CGW without stoves; when the railroad added them, the near window was plated over. I would not include the plate as part of the casting but as a separate item.

                  You know, looking at a list on my wall here, I promised someone I would work on a Pennsy N5. Maybe, two birds with one stone? . . . (Although I would never throw a rock at a bird).

                  > N5C. The porthole windows were my favorite PRR cabooses. -Larry C. <
                  http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/exhibits/equipment/cabooses/penn-n5c-cabin-car

                  Larry, if a prototype ever looked more like a Lionel model than the real thing, that photo shows it!

                  Thanks much, fellas, for the information.

                  -Brian Chapman
                  Evansdale, Iowa
                • Ell
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2013
                    For those interested, check

                    http://www.bing.com/search?q=NE-5+caboose&go=&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=ne-5+caboose&sc=1-12&sp=-1&sk=

                    for a bunch of links including one with lots of images of NE 5 cabooses.

                    Ell

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I am cnc-cutting NE-5 cabooses (cabeese?) in TT scale (1:120) and N scale (1:160). I'd like to see what results I can get in Z scale. But, first, a couple of questions if I may:
                    >
                    > 1 - Does an NE-5 caboose exist in Z scale?
                    >
                    > 2 - The smallest end mill I have is .005" diameter, a bit larger than one scale inch in Z scale (.0045" is the correct figure?) What sort of detail level does the Z scale modeler demand - every rivet in its place, or if it can't be seen at a two foot distance forget about it? (Or something else?)
                    >
                    > 3 - What is the typical thickness of a car side in Z scale? That is, considering an NE-5 caboose, what thickness is acceptable for the sides and ends?
                    >
                    > Thanks much,
                    >
                    > Brian Chapman
                    > Evansdale, Iowa

                  • StonyS
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 23, 2013
                      If anyone is interested, I could change any these to round windows rather easily.. I just need to know what it is that people are looking for.

                      http://shpws.me/lDcI
                      http://shpws.me/lnIW
                      http://shpws.me/lsS4