Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

  • FT. Dewey
    Message 1 of 22 , May 15, 2013
      "putting cars and locomotives on the track"

      http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Z-scale+rerailer&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=8E0077CF504680CAF00DB38AAB3DC8EBC0A019CE&selectedIndex=19

      It's plastic and removable.
      DEWEY

      o _____ || |
      .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
      _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

      ________________________________

          I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

            Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

        John

      • jonathon
        • Larry Card
          Message 4 of 22 , May 17, 2013
            AKA, Nn3.

            V/R
            Larry P. Card
            Franklinton NC
            _________
            ./__________\.
            (]]]___o___[[[)
            |\_o______o_/|
            |__|..........|__|

            > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            > From: jonathon.blake@...
            > Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:01:12 +0000
            > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

          • BAZ
            Message 5 of 22 , May 17, 2013
              Be aware: if you run with 2 different powered track mains and, you accidentally crossover, you most certainly will kill one of you power sources! DC does not like the reverse polarities of DCC and vice-versa (from me, the electronics guy).

              DCC'd locos do *not* as well as you would expect on DC as it takes several volts to 'turn on' the decoder, therefore they will run *noticeably* slower! Most newer DCC decodes default the DC or 'Analog Mode' to Off so they will not run at all. This can be enabled if it is off.

              If you have AZL, MTL GP7 or 35 or SD40, or most of Marklin's electrics, you can use sorta drop-in decoders. Any other loco requires hand wired decoders.

              If you have 2 or more Mains and especially sidings or spurs, DCC is the way to go. In Z scale, if no power routing turnouts, essentially 2 wires to the track and you can run *any* loco *anywhere* at *any* speed or in *any* direction !

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z

              Sent 'from the road'

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 22 , May 18, 2013
                Hi Rob -
                Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?

                Jeff T

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                > This is coming!
                >
                > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                >
                > Rob
                >
                > On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                >
                > > - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                >
                > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                > Distributor American Z Line
                > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                > and Tenshodo dealer
                > www.ztrack.com
                > www.ztrackcenter.com
                > www.ztrackresale.com
                > www.zscaletrack.com
                > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                > Dublin OH 43016
                > (614) 764-1703

              • Robert Kluz
                Message 7 of 22 , May 19, 2013
                  Jeff,

                  AZL will be offering all existing GP30 and GP38 locomotives, as well as upcoming releases such as the new run of GP7s with DCC boards. We will not be offering this as a service for already purchased locomotive. For that, I recommend Don Fedjur. Don does amazing work with AZL and DCC and can take care of all of those needs.

                  Rob

                  On May 18, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Jeff <jthompson178@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rob -
                  > Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?
                  >
                  > Jeff T
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> This is coming!
                  >>
                  >> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                  >>
                  >> Rob
                  >>
                  >> On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                  >>
                  >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  >> Distributor American Z Line
                  >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                  >> and Tenshodo dealer
                  >> www.ztrack.com
                  >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                  >> www.ztrackresale.com
                  >> www.zscaletrack.com
                  >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  >> Dublin OH 43016
                  >> (614) 764-1703

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  Distributor American Z Line
                  Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                  InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  www.ztrackresale.com
                  www.zscaletrack.com
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  Dublin OH 43016
                  (614) 764-1703

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 20, 2013
                    Rob -
                    Thanks for clarifying. Just trying to decide when to buy my GP30(s) & GP38(s) - now, or wait until the DCC option is available. And yes, Don does fantastic work DCCing. He's already done 5 locos for me (three with ditch lights), and another four are being done.