Re: My nest new layout

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 22 , May 14 10:54 PM
      John,
      Welcome to the group. As Kev pointed out to answer your questions, we need to ask some questions like how big do you want to make your layout? Modeling any specific region, road or era? What are you expecting to spend?
      There have been great changes in Z over the past few years, but N scale still has a larger variety of locos, rolling stock and structures. If you have no particular needs, there is a good selection of steam and diesel locos as well as rolling stock.
      The Z size provides better opportunity for shelf-sized and table-top layouts than N and allows for more prototypical layouts. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the images and videos from NTS 2011 in Sacramento.
      Z is a little more costly than N, but that is changing and the GP38s can go for under $100.
      I've found Z scale challenging and enjoyed working with it.

      Hope this helps,
      Mark

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "johng800" <johng800@...> wrote:

      > Hello to the group:
      >
      > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.
      >
      > Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin
      >
      > John

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 22 , May 15 2:04 AM
        Wow! Breaking news, even if I don't plan to switch to DCC!
        Dom

        Message 3 of 22 , May 15 2:09 AM
          You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))

          Alex

          On 15/05/2013 02:31, Robert Kluz wrote:

          > This is coming!
          >
          > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their
          > existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
          >
          > Rob

        • Robert Kluz
          Message 4 of 22 , May 15 4:42 AM
            Absolutely!

            If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers� but yes ready to run!!

            Rob

            Message 5 of 22 , May 15 6:06 AM
              Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
              part of my locos roster ;)

              Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
              same layout?

              Alex

              On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
              > Absolutely!
              >
              > If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
              >
              > Rob
              >
              > On May 15, 2013, at 5:09 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:
              >
              >> You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))
              >>
              >> Alex
              >>
              >> On 15/05/2013 02:31, Robert Kluz wrote:
              >>> This is coming!
              >>>
              >>> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their
              >>> existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
              >>>
              >>> Rob

              > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              > Distributor American Z Line
              > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
              > and Tenshodo dealer
              > www.ztrack.com
              > www.ztrackcenter.com
              > www.ztrackresale.com
              > www.zscaletrack.com
              > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
              > Dublin OH 43016
              > (614) 764-1703

              "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
              intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

            • John Mui
              Message 6 of 22 , May 15 7:00 AM
                No, either run dc or dcc.

                Sent from my iPhone

                John M

                On May 15, 2013, at 9:06 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:

                > Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                > part of my locos roster ;)
                >
                > Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                > same layout?
                >
                > Alex
                >
                > On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                >> Absolutely!
                >>
                >> If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                >>
                >> Rob
                >>
                >> On May 15, 2013, at 5:09 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))
                >>>
                >>> Alex

                >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                >> Distributor American Z Line
                >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                >> and Tenshodo dealer
                >> www.ztrack.com
                >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                >> www.ztrackresale.com
                >> www.zscaletrack.com
                >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                >> Dublin OH 43016
                >> (614) 764-1703

                > --
                > "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                > intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

              • Larry Card
                Message 7 of 22 , May 15 8:55 AM
                  Can, but why bother? Most new DCC locos will run on DC and most DCC systems have provisions for DC locomotives (although some DC locos don't like the DCC power much). However, what you can do is wire for DC with blocks, etc. and two cabs and then connect your DCC system to one of the cabs, that way you can run DCC when you are only running the DCC locos and vice versa.

                  I think if I was starting a layout from scratch I would go DCC. Much easier wiring that way, and it is the way everything is going.

                  V/R
                  Larry P. Card
                  Franklinton NC
                  _________
                  ./__________\.
                  (]]]___o___[[[)
                  |\_o______o_/|
                  |__|..........|__|

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 15 9:08 AM
                    Thank you Larry, the problem is just to continue to use the large
                    collection of locos one already has.
                    This life is too short to wait the availability of the DCC version for
                    them all :)
                    For me it would be enough to have one Loco running at time, DCC or not,
                    so great !

                    Alex

                    On 15/05/2013 17:55, Larry Card wrote:

                    > Can, but why bother? Most new DCC locos will run on DC and most DCC
                    > systems have provisions for DC locomotives (although some DC locos
                    > don't like the DCC power much). However, what you can do is wire for
                    > DC with blocks, etc. and two cabs and then connect your DCC system to
                    > one of the cabs, that way you can run DCC when you are only running
                    > the DCC locos and vice versa.
                    >
                    > I think if I was starting a layout from scratch I would go DCC. Much
                    > easier wiring that way, and it is the way everything is going.
                    >
                    > V/R
                    > Larry P. Card
                    > Franklinton NC
                    > _________
                    > ./__________\.
                    > (]]]___o___[[[)
                    > |\_o______o_/|
                    > |__|..........|__|
                    >
                    > > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > CC: ztrack@... <mailto:ztrack%40aol.com>
                    > > From: tpalex@... <mailto:tpalex%40gmail.com>
                    > > Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:06:18 +0200
                    > > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout
                    > >

                    > > Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                    > > part of my locos roster ;)
                    > >
                    > > Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                    > > same layout?
                    > >
                    > > Alex
                    > >
                    > > On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                    > > > Absolutely!
                    > > >
                    > > > If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these
                    > prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                    > > >
                    > > > Rob

                    > to come!

                    > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > > > Distributor American Z Line
                    > > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                    > > > and Tenshodo dealer
                    > > > www.ztrack.com
                    > > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                    > > > www.ztrackresale.com
                    > > > www.zscaletrack.com
                    > > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    > > > Dublin OH 43016
                    > > > (614) 764-1703

                    > > --
                    > > "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                    > > intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                    "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                    intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                  • FT. Dewey
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 15 11:38 AM
                      "putting cars and locomotives on the track"

                      http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Z-scale+rerailer&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=8E0077CF504680CAF00DB38AAB3DC8EBC0A019CE&selectedIndex=19

                      It's plastic and removable.
                      DEWEY

                      o _____ || |
                      .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                      _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                      ________________________________
                        I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

                          Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

                      John

                    • John D. Duino

                          I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

                            Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

                        John

                      • jonathon
                        • Larry Card
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 17 5:00 AM
                            AKA, Nn3.

                            V/R
                            Larry P. Card
                            Franklinton NC
                            _________
                            ./__________\.
                            (]]]___o___[[[)
                            |\_o______o_/|
                            |__|..........|__|

                            > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: jonathon.blake@...
                            > Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:01:12 +0000
                            > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

                          • BAZ
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 17 3:10 PM
                              Be aware: if you run with 2 different powered track mains and, you accidentally crossover, you most certainly will kill one of you power sources! DC does not like the reverse polarities of DCC and vice-versa (from me, the electronics guy).

                              DCC'd locos do *not* as well as you would expect on DC as it takes several volts to 'turn on' the decoder, therefore they will run *noticeably* slower! Most newer DCC decodes default the DC or 'Analog Mode' to Off so they will not run at all. This can be enabled if it is off.

                              If you have AZL, MTL GP7 or 35 or SD40, or most of Marklin's electrics, you can use sorta drop-in decoders. Any other loco requires hand wired decoders.

                              If you have 2 or more Mains and especially sidings or spurs, DCC is the way to go. In Z scale, if no power routing turnouts, essentially 2 wires to the track and you can run *any* loco *anywhere* at *any* speed or in *any* direction !

                              Jeff
                              SF Bay Area Z

                              Sent 'from the road'

                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 18 2:47 PM
                                Hi Rob -
                                Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?

                                Jeff T

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                                > This is coming!
                                >
                                > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                                >
                                > Rob
                                >
                                > On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                                >
                                > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                > Distributor American Z Line
                                > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                > and Tenshodo dealer
                                > www.ztrack.com
                                > www.ztrackcenter.com
                                > www.ztrackresale.com
                                > www.zscaletrack.com
                                > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                > Dublin OH 43016
                                > (614) 764-1703

                              • Robert Kluz
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 19 7:04 AM
                                  Jeff,

                                  AZL will be offering all existing GP30 and GP38 locomotives, as well as upcoming releases such as the new run of GP7s with DCC boards. We will not be offering this as a service for already purchased locomotive. For that, I recommend Don Fedjur. Don does amazing work with AZL and DCC and can take care of all of those needs.

                                  Rob

                                  On May 18, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Jeff <jthompson178@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Rob -
                                  > Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?
                                  >
                                  > Jeff T
                                  >
                                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> This is coming!
                                  >>
                                  >> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                                  >>
                                  >> Rob
                                  >>
                                  >> On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                                  >>
                                  >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  >> Distributor American Z Line
                                  >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                  >> and Tenshodo dealer
                                  >> www.ztrack.com
                                  >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                                  >> www.ztrackresale.com
                                  >> www.zscaletrack.com
                                  >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                  >> Dublin OH 43016
                                  >> (614) 764-1703

                                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  Distributor American Z Line
                                  Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                  InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                                  www.ztrack.com
                                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                                  www.ztrackresale.com
                                  www.zscaletrack.com
                                  6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                  Dublin OH 43016
                                  (614) 764-1703

                                • Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 20 8:56 PM
                                    Rob -
                                    Thanks for clarifying. Just trying to decide when to buy my GP30(s) & GP38(s) - now, or wait until the DCC option is available. And yes, Don does fantastic work DCCing. He's already done 5 locos for me (three with ditch lights), and another four are being done.