Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

  • Robert Kluz
    Message 1 of 22 , May 14, 2013
      This is coming!

      AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!

      Rob

      On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

      > - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
      and Tenshodo dealer
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      www.zscaletrack.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 22 , May 14, 2013
        John,
        Welcome to the group. As Kev pointed out to answer your questions, we need to ask some questions like how big do you want to make your layout? Modeling any specific region, road or era? What are you expecting to spend?
        There have been great changes in Z over the past few years, but N scale still has a larger variety of locos, rolling stock and structures. If you have no particular needs, there is a good selection of steam and diesel locos as well as rolling stock.
        The Z size provides better opportunity for shelf-sized and table-top layouts than N and allows for more prototypical layouts. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the images and videos from NTS 2011 in Sacramento.
        Z is a little more costly than N, but that is changing and the GP38s can go for under $100.
        I've found Z scale challenging and enjoyed working with it.

        Hope this helps,
        Mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "johng800" <johng800@...> wrote:

        > Hello to the group:
        >
        > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.
        >
        > Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin
        >
        > John

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 22 , May 15, 2013
          Wow! Breaking news, even if I don't plan to switch to DCC!
          Dom

          Message 4 of 22 , May 15, 2013
            You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))

            Alex

            On 15/05/2013 02:31, Robert Kluz wrote:

            > This is coming!
            >
            > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their
            > existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
            >
            > Rob

          • Robert Kluz
            Message 5 of 22 , May 15, 2013
              Absolutely!

              If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers� but yes ready to run!!

              Rob

              Message 6 of 22 , May 15, 2013
                Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                part of my locos roster ;)

                Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                same layout?

                Alex

                On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                > Absolutely!
                >
                > If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                >
                > Rob
                >
                > On May 15, 2013, at 5:09 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:
                >
                >> You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))
                >>
                >> Alex
                >>
                >> On 15/05/2013 02:31, Robert Kluz wrote:
                >>> This is coming!
                >>>
                >>> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their
                >>> existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                >>>
                >>> Rob

                > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                > Distributor American Z Line
                > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                > and Tenshodo dealer
                > www.ztrack.com
                > www.ztrackcenter.com
                > www.ztrackresale.com
                > www.zscaletrack.com
                > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                > Dublin OH 43016
                > (614) 764-1703

                "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

              • John Mui
                Message 7 of 22 , May 15, 2013
                  No, either run dc or dcc.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  John M

                  On May 15, 2013, at 9:06 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:

                  > Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                  > part of my locos roster ;)
                  >
                  > Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                  > same layout?
                  >
                  > Alex
                  >
                  > On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                  >> Absolutely!
                  >>
                  >> If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                  >>
                  >> Rob
                  >>
                  >> On May 15, 2013, at 5:09 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))
                  >>>
                  >>> Alex

                  >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  >> Distributor American Z Line
                  >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                  >> and Tenshodo dealer
                  >> www.ztrack.com
                  >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                  >> www.ztrackresale.com
                  >> www.zscaletrack.com
                  >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  >> Dublin OH 43016
                  >> (614) 764-1703

                  > --
                  > "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                  > intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                • Larry Card
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 15, 2013
                    Can, but why bother? Most new DCC locos will run on DC and most DCC systems have provisions for DC locomotives (although some DC locos don't like the DCC power much). However, what you can do is wire for DC with blocks, etc. and two cabs and then connect your DCC system to one of the cabs, that way you can run DCC when you are only running the DCC locos and vice versa.

                    I think if I was starting a layout from scratch I would go DCC. Much easier wiring that way, and it is the way everything is going.

                    V/R
                    Larry P. Card
                    Franklinton NC
                    _________
                    ./__________\.
                    (]]]___o___[[[)
                    |\_o______o_/|
                    |__|..........|__|

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 15, 2013
                      Thank you Larry, the problem is just to continue to use the large
                      collection of locos one already has.
                      This life is too short to wait the availability of the DCC version for
                      them all :)
                      For me it would be enough to have one Loco running at time, DCC or not,
                      so great !

                      Alex

                      On 15/05/2013 17:55, Larry Card wrote:

                      > Can, but why bother? Most new DCC locos will run on DC and most DCC
                      > systems have provisions for DC locomotives (although some DC locos
                      > don't like the DCC power much). However, what you can do is wire for
                      > DC with blocks, etc. and two cabs and then connect your DCC system to
                      > one of the cabs, that way you can run DCC when you are only running
                      > the DCC locos and vice versa.
                      >
                      > I think if I was starting a layout from scratch I would go DCC. Much
                      > easier wiring that way, and it is the way everything is going.
                      >
                      > V/R
                      > Larry P. Card
                      > Franklinton NC
                      > _________
                      > ./__________\.
                      > (]]]___o___[[[)
                      > |\_o______o_/|
                      > |__|..........|__|
                      >
                      > > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > CC: ztrack@... <mailto:ztrack%40aol.com>
                      > > From: tpalex@... <mailto:tpalex%40gmail.com>
                      > > Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:06:18 +0200
                      > > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout
                      > >

                      > > Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                      > > part of my locos roster ;)
                      > >
                      > > Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                      > > same layout?
                      > >
                      > > Alex
                      > >
                      > > On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                      > > > Absolutely!
                      > > >
                      > > > If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these
                      > prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                      > > >
                      > > > Rob

                      > to come!

                      > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > > > Distributor American Z Line
                      > > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                      > > > and Tenshodo dealer
                      > > > www.ztrack.com
                      > > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                      > > > www.ztrackresale.com
                      > > > www.zscaletrack.com
                      > > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                      > > > Dublin OH 43016
                      > > > (614) 764-1703

                      > > --
                      > > "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                      > > intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                      "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                      intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                    • FT. Dewey
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 15, 2013
                        "putting cars and locomotives on the track"

                        http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Z-scale+rerailer&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=8E0077CF504680CAF00DB38AAB3DC8EBC0A019CE&selectedIndex=19

                        It's plastic and removable.
                        DEWEY

                        o _____ || |
                        .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                        _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                        ________________________________
                          I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

                            Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

                        John

                      • John D. Duino

                            I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

                              Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

                          John

                        • jonathon
                          • Larry Card
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 17, 2013
                              AKA, Nn3.

                              V/R
                              Larry P. Card
                              Franklinton NC
                              _________
                              ./__________\.
                              (]]]___o___[[[)
                              |\_o______o_/|
                              |__|..........|__|

                              > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: jonathon.blake@...
                              > Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:01:12 +0000
                              > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

                            • BAZ
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 17, 2013
                                Be aware: if you run with 2 different powered track mains and, you accidentally crossover, you most certainly will kill one of you power sources! DC does not like the reverse polarities of DCC and vice-versa (from me, the electronics guy).

                                DCC'd locos do *not* as well as you would expect on DC as it takes several volts to 'turn on' the decoder, therefore they will run *noticeably* slower! Most newer DCC decodes default the DC or 'Analog Mode' to Off so they will not run at all. This can be enabled if it is off.

                                If you have AZL, MTL GP7 or 35 or SD40, or most of Marklin's electrics, you can use sorta drop-in decoders. Any other loco requires hand wired decoders.

                                If you have 2 or more Mains and especially sidings or spurs, DCC is the way to go. In Z scale, if no power routing turnouts, essentially 2 wires to the track and you can run *any* loco *anywhere* at *any* speed or in *any* direction !

                                Jeff
                                SF Bay Area Z

                                Sent 'from the road'

                              • Jeff
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 18, 2013
                                  Hi Rob -
                                  Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?

                                  Jeff T

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                                  > This is coming!
                                  >
                                  > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                                  >
                                  > Rob
                                  >
                                  > On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                                  >
                                  > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  > Distributor American Z Line
                                  > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                  > and Tenshodo dealer
                                  > www.ztrack.com
                                  > www.ztrackcenter.com
                                  > www.ztrackresale.com
                                  > www.zscaletrack.com
                                  > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                  > Dublin OH 43016
                                  > (614) 764-1703

                                • Robert Kluz
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 19, 2013
                                    Jeff,

                                    AZL will be offering all existing GP30 and GP38 locomotives, as well as upcoming releases such as the new run of GP7s with DCC boards. We will not be offering this as a service for already purchased locomotive. For that, I recommend Don Fedjur. Don does amazing work with AZL and DCC and can take care of all of those needs.

                                    Rob

                                    On May 18, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Jeff <jthompson178@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Rob -
                                    > Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?
                                    >
                                    > Jeff T
                                    >
                                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> This is coming!
                                    >>
                                    >> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                                    >>
                                    >> Rob
                                    >>
                                    >> On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                                    >>
                                    >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                    >> Distributor American Z Line
                                    >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                    >> and Tenshodo dealer
                                    >> www.ztrack.com
                                    >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                                    >> www.ztrackresale.com
                                    >> www.zscaletrack.com
                                    >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                    >> Dublin OH 43016
                                    >> (614) 764-1703

                                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                    Distributor American Z Line
                                    Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                    InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                                    www.ztrack.com
                                    www.ztrackcenter.com
                                    www.ztrackresale.com
                                    www.zscaletrack.com
                                    6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                    Dublin OH 43016
                                    (614) 764-1703

                                  • Jeff
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 20, 2013
                                      Rob -
                                      Thanks for clarifying. Just trying to decide when to buy my GP30(s) & GP38(s) - now, or wait until the DCC option is available. And yes, Don does fantastic work DCCing. He's already done 5 locos for me (three with ditch lights), and another four are being done.