Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 22 , May 14 2:13 PM
      Hi John,all,
      What do you have at the moment,a wee bit of both?What
      space do you have?
      Re-railers can help get rolling stock on the tracks,locos take a closer
      look and getting eye magnification helps,heck I need it with HO! :-)

      Oh,and welcome to the group!

      Dr D (a/k/a Kev)

      --
      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 22 , May 14 2:20 PM
        Let's see now, you are at a Chevy dealership asking if a Ford is better...

        Size - Rerailing is not a problem, just use a re-railer.

        Size - since Z is about 73% the size of N, this means you can do about 90%
        MORE scenery in the same space since everything is going up by the square.

        Kit building - Use an Optivizor

        About the only thing you can't do EASILY in Z is sound.

        Z Price - Not much difference than N

        Items a available in Z - Not as much as N but unless you expect to spend
        tens of thousands of dollars you should find most anything you want.

        BTW I'm close to age 80 [Not quite] so don't worry about seeing whats going
        on

        Lastly: Z has won first place in about half the National NMRA shows over
        the last 10 years.

        ...don

      • gardenrails
        Message 3 of 22 , May 14 3:06 PM
          John,

          Welcome to the group. I am fairly new to the group and the best advice the I have gotten from the group was to purchase a good track planning software. AnyRail was recommended to me and based on that I downloaded the trail version. Less than a week later I purchased the full package and it is great. I have not "N" and "Z" and quite a bit of both. I have plans for both and will start construction on the first module of "Z" in June. Good luck and again, welcome to the group.

          Mack (Greensboro, NC)

          I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.
          Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

          John
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 22 , May 14 3:58 PM
            Hi.
            Everyone is the best judge for choosing. In my opinion Z scale is a very relevant scale when considering space limitations. Or when wanting very broad curves and running rather long trains in an overall limited space. However, one has to know there are still some drawbacks with our beloved Z scale:
            - the lack of RTR power routing turnouts, without plastic roadbed and side mechanism (ie: a turnout such as Peco or Atlas release for N scale..). Very limitating in my way of seeing modelrailroading.
            - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
            - some models of locos are very difficult to be equipped with DCC decoders.
            - the overall still limited choice of motive power and rolling stock. However, regarding north american prototype, choice is vastly enhancing nowadays.
            - prices are generally higher than those of matching N scale models.
            - if your interrest is european prototype, be advised you have mostly nothing available outside of german and swiss models.

            On the other side, the available Z scale models are all very reliable. Micro-Trains and AZL release wonderful locomotives and cars. It's really a pleasure for me to run these, performing switching, on my small 4 1/2' x 3' layout, that yet consists of broad curves, thanks to MTL flextrack... The choice of available models is widening every month, and at least for american prototype modellers the available range of products allow very interresting opportunities.

            That's your choice.

            Dom

            En date de : Mar 14.5.13, johng800 <johng800@...> a écrit :

            > De: johng800 <johng800@...>
            > Objet: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout
            > À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Mardi 14 mai 2013, 17h25

            > Hello to the group:
            >

            > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three
            > months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would
            > love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to
            > share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an
            > important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and
            > locomotives on the track when they are that small.
            >

            > Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin
            >

            > John

          • Robert Kluz
            Message 5 of 22 , May 14 5:31 PM
              This is coming!

              AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!

              Rob

              On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

              > - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              Distributor American Z Line
              Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
              and Tenshodo dealer
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              www.zscaletrack.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703

            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 22 , May 14 10:54 PM
                John,
                Welcome to the group. As Kev pointed out to answer your questions, we need to ask some questions like how big do you want to make your layout? Modeling any specific region, road or era? What are you expecting to spend?
                There have been great changes in Z over the past few years, but N scale still has a larger variety of locos, rolling stock and structures. If you have no particular needs, there is a good selection of steam and diesel locos as well as rolling stock.
                The Z size provides better opportunity for shelf-sized and table-top layouts than N and allows for more prototypical layouts. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the images and videos from NTS 2011 in Sacramento.
                Z is a little more costly than N, but that is changing and the GP38s can go for under $100.
                I've found Z scale challenging and enjoyed working with it.

                Hope this helps,
                Mark

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "johng800" <johng800@...> wrote:

                > Hello to the group:
                >
                > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.
                >
                > Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin
                >
                > John

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 22 , May 15 2:04 AM
                  Wow! Breaking news, even if I don't plan to switch to DCC!
                  Dom

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 15 2:09 AM
                    You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))

                    Alex

                    On 15/05/2013 02:31, Robert Kluz wrote:

                    > This is coming!
                    >
                    > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their
                    > existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                    >
                    > Rob

                  • Robert Kluz
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 15 4:42 AM
                      Absolutely!

                      If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers� but yes ready to run!!

                      Rob

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 15 6:06 AM
                        Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                        part of my locos roster ;)

                        Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                        same layout?

                        Alex

                        On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                        > Absolutely!
                        >
                        > If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                        >
                        > Rob
                        >
                        > On May 15, 2013, at 5:09 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))
                        >>
                        >> Alex
                        >>
                        >> On 15/05/2013 02:31, Robert Kluz wrote:
                        >>> This is coming!
                        >>>
                        >>> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their
                        >>> existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                        >>>
                        >>> Rob

                        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        > Distributor American Z Line
                        > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                        > and Tenshodo dealer
                        > www.ztrack.com
                        > www.ztrackcenter.com
                        > www.ztrackresale.com
                        > www.zscaletrack.com
                        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                        > Dublin OH 43016
                        > (614) 764-1703

                        "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                        intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                      • John Mui
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 15 7:00 AM
                          No, either run dc or dcc.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          John M

                          On May 15, 2013, at 9:06 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:

                          > Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                          > part of my locos roster ;)
                          >
                          > Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                          > same layout?
                          >
                          > Alex
                          >
                          > On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                          >> Absolutely!
                          >>
                          >> If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                          >>
                          >> Rob
                          >>
                          >> On May 15, 2013, at 5:09 AM, tpalex <tpalex@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> You really mean "ready to run", "factory equipped" etc etc Rob? :))))
                          >>>
                          >>> Alex

                          >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          >> Distributor American Z Line
                          >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                          >> and Tenshodo dealer
                          >> www.ztrack.com
                          >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                          >> www.ztrackresale.com
                          >> www.zscaletrack.com
                          >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                          >> Dublin OH 43016
                          >> (614) 764-1703

                          > --
                          > "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                          > intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                        • Larry Card
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 15 8:55 AM
                            Can, but why bother? Most new DCC locos will run on DC and most DCC systems have provisions for DC locomotives (although some DC locos don't like the DCC power much). However, what you can do is wire for DC with blocks, etc. and two cabs and then connect your DCC system to one of the cabs, that way you can run DCC when you are only running the DCC locos and vice versa.

                            I think if I was starting a layout from scratch I would go DCC. Much easier wiring that way, and it is the way everything is going.

                            V/R
                            Larry P. Card
                            Franklinton NC
                            _________
                            ./__________\.
                            (]]]___o___[[[)
                            |\_o______o_/|
                            |__|..........|__|

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 15 9:08 AM
                              Thank you Larry, the problem is just to continue to use the large
                              collection of locos one already has.
                              This life is too short to wait the availability of the DCC version for
                              them all :)
                              For me it would be enough to have one Loco running at time, DCC or not,
                              so great !

                              Alex

                              On 15/05/2013 17:55, Larry Card wrote:

                              > Can, but why bother? Most new DCC locos will run on DC and most DCC
                              > systems have provisions for DC locomotives (although some DC locos
                              > don't like the DCC power much). However, what you can do is wire for
                              > DC with blocks, etc. and two cabs and then connect your DCC system to
                              > one of the cabs, that way you can run DCC when you are only running
                              > the DCC locos and vice versa.
                              >
                              > I think if I was starting a layout from scratch I would go DCC. Much
                              > easier wiring that way, and it is the way everything is going.
                              >
                              > V/R
                              > Larry P. Card
                              > Franklinton NC
                              > _________
                              > ./__________\.
                              > (]]]___o___[[[)
                              > |\_o______o_/|
                              > |__|..........|__|
                              >
                              > > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > CC: ztrack@... <mailto:ztrack%40aol.com>
                              > > From: tpalex@... <mailto:tpalex%40gmail.com>
                              > > Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:06:18 +0200
                              > > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout
                              > >

                              > > Great, this means i have to review all my layout plans :) and change
                              > > part of my locos roster ;)
                              > >
                              > > Can the two systems, analog with sections etc and DCC, coexist on the
                              > > same layout?
                              > >
                              > > Alex
                              > >
                              > > On 15/05/2013 13:42, Robert Kluz wrote:
                              > > > Absolutely!
                              > > >
                              > > > If you take it that I am the factory and will be installing these
                              > prior to shipment to dealers and customers... but yes ready to run!!
                              > > >
                              > > > Rob

                              > to come!

                              > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                              > > > Distributor American Z Line
                              > > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                              > > > and Tenshodo dealer
                              > > > www.ztrack.com
                              > > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                              > > > www.ztrackresale.com
                              > > > www.zscaletrack.com
                              > > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                              > > > Dublin OH 43016
                              > > > (614) 764-1703

                              > > --
                              > > "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                              > > intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                              "Cristina S.si vanta con il sottoscritto di non indossare biancheria
                              intima.I compagni sembrano impazziti.Non posso spiegare il gerundio"

                            • FT. Dewey
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 15 11:38 AM
                                "putting cars and locomotives on the track"

                                http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Z-scale+rerailer&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=8E0077CF504680CAF00DB38AAB3DC8EBC0A019CE&selectedIndex=19

                                It's plastic and removable.
                                DEWEY

                                o _____ || |
                                .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                                _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                                ________________________________
                                  I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

                                    Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

                                John

                              • John D. Duino

                                    I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.

                                      Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin

                                  John

                                • jonathon
                                  • Larry Card
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 17 5:00 AM
                                      AKA, Nn3.

                                      V/R
                                      Larry P. Card
                                      Franklinton NC
                                      _________
                                      ./__________\.
                                      (]]]___o___[[[)
                                      |\_o______o_/|
                                      |__|..........|__|

                                      > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                      > From: jonathon.blake@...
                                      > Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:01:12 +0000
                                      > Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

                                    • BAZ
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 17 3:10 PM
                                        Be aware: if you run with 2 different powered track mains and, you accidentally crossover, you most certainly will kill one of you power sources! DC does not like the reverse polarities of DCC and vice-versa (from me, the electronics guy).

                                        DCC'd locos do *not* as well as you would expect on DC as it takes several volts to 'turn on' the decoder, therefore they will run *noticeably* slower! Most newer DCC decodes default the DC or 'Analog Mode' to Off so they will not run at all. This can be enabled if it is off.

                                        If you have AZL, MTL GP7 or 35 or SD40, or most of Marklin's electrics, you can use sorta drop-in decoders. Any other loco requires hand wired decoders.

                                        If you have 2 or more Mains and especially sidings or spurs, DCC is the way to go. In Z scale, if no power routing turnouts, essentially 2 wires to the track and you can run *any* loco *anywhere* at *any* speed or in *any* direction !

                                        Jeff
                                        SF Bay Area Z

                                        Sent 'from the road'

                                      • Jeff
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 18 2:47 PM
                                          Hi Rob -
                                          Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?

                                          Jeff T

                                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                                          > This is coming!
                                          >
                                          > AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                                          >
                                          > Rob
                                          >
                                          > On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                                          >
                                          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                          > Distributor American Z Line
                                          > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                          > and Tenshodo dealer
                                          > www.ztrack.com
                                          > www.ztrackcenter.com
                                          > www.ztrackresale.com
                                          > www.zscaletrack.com
                                          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                          > Dublin OH 43016
                                          > (614) 764-1703

                                        • Robert Kluz
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 19 7:04 AM
                                            Jeff,

                                            AZL will be offering all existing GP30 and GP38 locomotives, as well as upcoming releases such as the new run of GP7s with DCC boards. We will not be offering this as a service for already purchased locomotive. For that, I recommend Don Fedjur. Don does amazing work with AZL and DCC and can take care of all of those needs.

                                            Rob

                                            On May 18, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Jeff <jthompson178@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Rob -
                                            > Does this mean additional series GP30 or GP38 locos will come up for sale with the option of DCC installed (including the ones already offered, like SF), or you can get DCC installed on an existing series GP30 or GP38 loco you have already purchased?
                                            >
                                            > Jeff T
                                            >
                                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> This is coming!
                                            >>
                                            >> AZL will be releasing the option for DCC locomotive on all of their existing GP30 and GP38 series of locomotives. More information to come!
                                            >>
                                            >> Rob
                                            >>
                                            >> On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >>> - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
                                            >>
                                            >> Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                            >> Distributor American Z Line
                                            >> Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                            >> and Tenshodo dealer
                                            >> www.ztrack.com
                                            >> www.ztrackcenter.com
                                            >> www.ztrackresale.com
                                            >> www.zscaletrack.com
                                            >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                            >> Dublin OH 43016
                                            >> (614) 764-1703

                                            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                            Distributor American Z Line
                                            Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                                            InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                                            www.ztrack.com
                                            www.ztrackcenter.com
                                            www.ztrackresale.com
                                            www.zscaletrack.com
                                            6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                            Dublin OH 43016
                                            (614) 764-1703

                                          • Jeff
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 20 8:56 PM
                                              Rob -
                                              Thanks for clarifying. Just trying to decide when to buy my GP30(s) & GP38(s) - now, or wait until the DCC option is available. And yes, Don does fantastic work DCCing. He's already done 5 locos for me (three with ditch lights), and another four are being done.