Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin 0-6-0 engine gears - can they be bought without wheels

  • Thomas Creighton Sr
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2013
      why don't you make a cradle and connect one end of the axle to your dremel and
      use emery paper to remove the flange but leave the wheel to still rest on the
      rail, I've done it and it works! tom Creighton Sr

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2013
        Dave,

        I'll make another comment concerning the radius question. If you email me
        at ljsnyder@charter. I can send you a picture of a 2 1/2" radius on a layout
        I made for a 0-6-0 which ran fine without any wheel modification.

        Loren

        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2013
          If I remember correctly, quite often the center axle does not really touch the railhead, or it does in one direction and not in the other.

          That is actually helpful, since if you really need to remove the flange on the center driver, then that implies that the curve is such that the driver could actually "leave" the rail head laterally.

          When you are in this situation, often a loco will derail when the driver tries to "climb back on" the railhead on tangent (straight) track.

          In prototype locos, usually the blind driver has a much wider tread to keep the driver on the rail head.

          Regards, Greg

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dlhort1955" <dlhort1955@...> wrote:

          > We run the little 0-6-0 engine in cigar box layouts. In order to make the circle you have to remove the middle axle. The result is that only the rear axle is powered and the front axle is in essence a dummy. If I could purchase the center axle with just a gear and no wheels, then I could power the front axle as well. Are these available anywhere or do I need to find a jeweler that can remove the wheels or cut the wheels off the axle?
          >
          > Thank you for your help.
          >
          > dave

        • dlhort1955
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2013

            I sent you an e-mail thru yahoo. Did you receive it?
            The address below is incomplete. charter. what?

            dave