Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin 0-6-0 engine gears - can they be bought without wheels

  • Thomas Creighton Sr
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2013
      why don't you make a cradle and connect one end of the axle to your dremel and
      use emery paper to remove the flange but leave the wheel to still rest on the
      rail, I've done it and it works! tom Creighton Sr

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2013
        Dave -
        An idea from my Lionel Hudson would be to remove the flanges from the
        wheels on the center axle. This way they still drive some and transmit
        power to the front wheels. If you like that idea, I hope someone can
        suggest how to do it. All I can think of is chucking it in a drill and
        filing or sanding angling on the inside to be safe.

        Rich Morrical
      • Nathan Leon
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2013
          Dave,
          I would just grind the middle wheel flat so the lip is gone.  A grinder or a file should work.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2013
            What radius of track are you running your 0-6-0 on that you need to remove
            the middle axle or do other modifications on?

            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2013
              Dave,

              I'll make another comment concerning the radius question. If you email me
              at ljsnyder@charter. I can send you a picture of a 2 1/2" radius on a layout
              I made for a 0-6-0 which ran fine without any wheel modification.

              Loren

              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2013
                If I remember correctly, quite often the center axle does not really touch the railhead, or it does in one direction and not in the other.

                That is actually helpful, since if you really need to remove the flange on the center driver, then that implies that the curve is such that the driver could actually "leave" the rail head laterally.

                When you are in this situation, often a loco will derail when the driver tries to "climb back on" the railhead on tangent (straight) track.

                In prototype locos, usually the blind driver has a much wider tread to keep the driver on the rail head.

                Regards, Greg

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dlhort1955" <dlhort1955@...> wrote:

                > We run the little 0-6-0 engine in cigar box layouts. In order to make the circle you have to remove the middle axle. The result is that only the rear axle is powered and the front axle is in essence a dummy. If I could purchase the center axle with just a gear and no wheels, then I could power the front axle as well. Are these available anywhere or do I need to find a jeweler that can remove the wheels or cut the wheels off the axle?
                >
                > Thank you for your help.
                >
                > dave

              • dlhort1955
                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2013
                  Loren

                  I sent you an e-mail thru yahoo. Did you receive it?
                  The address below is incomplete. charter. what?

                  dave