Marklin 0-6-0 engine gears - can they be bought without wheels

  • dlhort1955
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2013
      We run the little 0-6-0 engine in cigar box layouts. In order to make the circle you have to remove the middle axle. The result is that only the rear axle is powered and the front axle is in essence a dummy. If I could purchase the center axle with just a gear and no wheels, then I could power the front axle as well. Are these available anywhere or do I need to find a jeweler that can remove the wheels or cut the wheels off the axle?

      Thank you for your help.

      dave
    • Thomas Creighton Sr
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2013
        why don't you make a cradle and connect one end of the axle to your dremel and
        use emery paper to remove the flange but leave the wheel to still rest on the
        rail, I've done it and it works! tom Creighton Sr

        ________________________________
        We run the little 0-6-0 engine in cigar box layouts. In order to make the circle
        you have to remove the middle axle. The result is that only the rear axle is
        powered and the front axle is in essence a dummy. If I could purchase the center
        axle with just a gear and no wheels, then I could power the front axle as well.
        Are these available anywhere or do I need to find a jeweler that can remove the
        wheels or cut the wheels off the axle?

        Thank you for your help.

        dave

      • Richard E. Morrical, PE
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2013
          Dave -
          An idea from my Lionel Hudson would be to remove the flanges from the
          wheels on the center axle. This way they still drive some and transmit
          power to the front wheels. If you like that idea, I hope someone can
          suggest how to do it. All I can think of is chucking it in a drill and
          filing or sanding angling on the inside to be safe.

          Rich Morrical
        • Nathan Leon
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2013
            Dave,
            I would just grind the middle wheel flat so the lip is gone.  A grinder or a file should work.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2013
              What radius of track are you running your 0-6-0 on that you need to remove
              the middle axle or do other modifications on?

              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2013
                Dave,

                I'll make another comment concerning the radius question. If you email me
                at ljsnyder@charter. I can send you a picture of a 2 1/2" radius on a layout
                I made for a 0-6-0 which ran fine without any wheel modification.

                Loren

                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2013
                  If I remember correctly, quite often the center axle does not really touch the railhead, or it does in one direction and not in the other.

                  That is actually helpful, since if you really need to remove the flange on the center driver, then that implies that the curve is such that the driver could actually "leave" the rail head laterally.

                  When you are in this situation, often a loco will derail when the driver tries to "climb back on" the railhead on tangent (straight) track.

                  In prototype locos, usually the blind driver has a much wider tread to keep the driver on the rail head.

                  Regards, Greg

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dlhort1955" <dlhort1955@...> wrote:

                  > We run the little 0-6-0 engine in cigar box layouts. In order to make the circle you have to remove the middle axle. The result is that only the rear axle is powered and the front axle is in essence a dummy. If I could purchase the center axle with just a gear and no wheels, then I could power the front axle as well. Are these available anywhere or do I need to find a jeweler that can remove the wheels or cut the wheels off the axle?
                  >
                  > Thank you for your help.
                  >
                  > dave

                • dlhort1955
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2013

                    I sent you an e-mail thru yahoo. Did you receive it?
                    The address below is incomplete. charter. what?

                    dave