Re: Steve's new layout (and good fortune)

  • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 1999
      Steve:

      > Unfortunately the track (tons of track) needs a good cleaning.
      > What is the best way to clean up the track?

      You will get many opinions, but I expect there is nothing like good ole
      fashion hard work to clean track that has set up for a while.

      What would I do? Same thing I (and our group) does after a lot of scenic
      work has been done, and oversprays, white glue and unknown chemicals get on
      the rails:

      1. Bright boy(s) until your arms fall off and the track looks bright and
      shinny
      2. Track cleaner (I use charcole lighter fluid, some use Goo Gone, others
      something else - basically an excellent solvent to get the residue from the
      bright boy off)
      3. Alcohol rub down
      4. Another alcohol rub down
      5. Run trains
      6. Re do the spots the trains don't run well on
      7. Run trains.
      8. Put a single drop of Wahl clipper oil on my index finger and touch the
      track every 3 feet (one meter).
      9. Run trains for a looooong time and enjoy.
      10. Some folks like to put a Relco unit on the track to help keep it running
      well.

      Opinions may vary. Contents may settle during shipment.

      Enjoy your new layout.

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston