AZL May New Items Part 1

  • Robert Kluz
    Message 1 of 21 , May 5, 2013
      AMERICAN Z LINE DEALER ALERT

      May 2013 New Release � Part 1

      May is going to be another exciting month of Z scalers. We have three new body styles of heavyweight passenger cars coming their way! But first, new GP38-2s and centerbeams!

      GTW EMD GP38-2s:

      62512-1 GTW GP38-2 4910 - MSRP $99.00

      62512-2 GTW GP38-2 5824 - MSRP $99.00

      62512-3 GTW GP38-2 5827 - MSRP $99.00

      62512-4 GTW GP38-2 6222 - MSRP $99.00

      Canadian National Centerbeams:

      90358-1 CN Centerbeam 625702, 625723, 625739, 625740 4 pack: CN 625702, 625723, 625739, 625740 - MSRP $137.00

      90358-2 CN Centerbeam 625704, 625728, 625747, 625777 4 pack: CN 625704, 625728, 625747, 625777 - MSRP $137.00

      91358-1 CN Centerbeam 625752 Single Car: CN 625752 - MSRP $39.00

      91358-2 CN Centerbeam 625812 Single Car: CN 625812 - MSRP $39.00

      NEW BODY STYLES � Pullman two-tone gray 8-1-2 sleeper, 6-3 sleeper and paired window coaches!

      71202-0 8-1-2 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - MSRP $53.00

      71202-1 8-1-2 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - Centdore - MSRP $53.00

      71202-2 8-1-2 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - Centaga - MSRP $53.00

      71202-3 8-1-2 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - Centsoma - MSRP $53.00

      71302-0 6-3 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - MSRP $53.00

      71302-1 6-3 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - Glen Dee - MSRP $53.00

      71302-2 6-3 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - Glen Springs - MSRP $53.00

      71302-3 6-3 Pullman Sleeper PS Two Tone Grey - Glen Eagles - MSRP $53.00

      71702-0 Paired Window Coach PS Two Tone Grey - MSRP $53.00

      Photos of all new items can be found at: http://www.americanzline.com/

      Contact your authorized AZL dealer to order.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
      and Tenshodo dealer
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      www.zscaletrack.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Robert Kluz
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2014

        AMERICAN Z LINE May 2014 New Release – Part 1

        NEW BODY STYLE! – 33,000 Gallon LPG Tank Cars!

        AZL is extremely excited to announce an all new body style in Z scale! This is 33,000 gallon liquid petroleum gas (LPG) tanks cars! These distinctive ‘whale belly’ tank cars have a long history of operations on the rails and are still in service today.

        For the first release, AZL went simple with they basic all black ACFX cars. But look for many interesting and unique paint schemes in the months ahead.

        A set of four cars and two singles are being offered:

        http://www.americanzline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AZL_LPG_90331_ACFX_s-e1399231227365.jpg

        90331-1 ACFX 33,000 Gallon LPG 17171, 17613, 18895, 18938  - MSRP $149.00

        http://www.americanzline.com/wp-content/gallery/lpg-tank/azl_lpg_91331_acfx_s.jpg

        91331-1 ACFX 33,000 Gallon LPG 17441  - MSRP $41.00

        91331-2 ACFX 33,000 Gallon LPG 19927  - MSRP $41.00

        Conrail fans will love our next release. AZL is releasing a Conrail SD70 with standard cab. This is available in four road numbers.

        EMD SD70:

        http://www.americanzline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AZL_SD70_61007_CR_s-e1399232634488.jpg

        61007-1 Conrail SD70 2557 - MSRP $189.00

        61007-2 Conrail SD70 2569 - MSRP $189.00

        61007-3 Conrail SD70 2574 - MSRP $189.00

        61007-4 Conrail SD70 2576 - MSRP $189.00

        The EMD SD70Ms feature:

        Directional controlled LED lighting

        Traction tires

        Prototype specific details

        Brass handrails and side panels

        Add on parts

        Optional add-on plow (located under the plastic insert)

        Dual flywheels

        Maintenance free can motor

        AZL AutoLatch couplers

        Can be upgrades to DCC with Digritax's DZ123Z0 decoder (no wiring or soldering required)

        Look for another new items announcement in two weeks!

        http://www.americanzline.com

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Distribution

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        Distributor for American Z Line
        Full Throttle & Rokuhan
        Authorized MTL, InterMountain
        and Tenshodo dealer.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2014
          Congratulations AZL for yet another fine release with the whale belly.  Kind of a steep price, but a man has to do what a man has to do.    Any new body style is exciting......especially if it isn't a box car.

          Loren

          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2014
            Loren these cars are no simple task to produce. They have numerous add on details. All of the hand rails are add ons as are the diamond safely placards! Plus, there are some very intricate pad printed version coming up. This is not a one mold with all the details cast on kind-of release!

            Rob

            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2014
              Yes Rob, I fully realize the intricate detail that is going into these new cars.  They are no doubt worth every penny.  I was just lamenting the cost.  Remember, we Z scalers like to get the most for the least.  Now if they were five for a buck, well, then the cheers would be deafening.

              Any way you can let us know the road names coming up and the paint schemes or is that classified?

              I'm definitely looking forward to the 'must have some' when the right road name comes out.

              Loren

              Loren these cars are no simple task to produce. They have numerous add on details. All of the hand rails are add ons as are the diamond safely placards! Plus, there are some very intricate pad printed version coming up. This is not a one mold with all the details cast on kind-of release!

              Rob

            • BAZ
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2014
                They're nice for those of us with big layouts and/or larger radii. But for average (likely above average) user, these look silly running around 195/220 radii and take up a lot of siding/spur space and about 2 nominal cars in a train. I am glad to see new rolling stock but not these continued release of nothing under 50 feet.

                They do look good though and I have the place and train for them. ;)

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                Sent 'from the road'

                Message 7 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                  Jeff,

                  I have been running a string on 195mm and they don't look too bad. They  track VERY well.

                  Hey modern is big. We can't around that. I think it is time we start talking more about the 275mm and 245mm track versus 220 and 195!

                  Plus I have been preaching for years… more yard space, more yard space and more yard space! None of us have enough yard space, well except the ZoCal club….

                  Rob

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                    any of you who have yard space are lucky and if you are able to run the largefr engines on your layout that is fine too, but I donot have any yard space and any engine over a Geep looks silly on my layout, also any cars that are over 40' don't look right. Some of us out here in Z land don't have the space or aspare bedroom to build a large layout in. Maybe I should have had Jim build me a 4'x3' layout in lieu of this one but at the time coming up with an extra ,$2000 to $3000 wasn't an option. He is the one who recommended that I run F7s as they are the right size for my curves. Hard to find any of these, I do have some that run good after being sent back to MTL several times, but any of the new ones that come out have the same problem ,NOISY and "I Think I can , but I can't attitude.
                  • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                      Folks,

                      On Sun May 4, 2014 7:24 pm (PDT) .

                      "BAZ" sj_baz_man

                        wrote:
                      >They're nice for those of us with big layouts and/or >larger radii. But for average (likely above average) user, these look silly running around 195/220 radii and take up >a lot of siding/spur space and about 2 nominal cars in a train. I am glad to see new
                      rolling stock but not these >continued release of nothing under 50 feet.
                      >Jeff
                      >SF Bay Area Z

                        Have to agree with Jeff, especially long cars on 195mm radii curves.  220mm is not much better.  AZL has decided to stick with releasing modern freight stock after their release of old reefers, and it's hard to find modern rolling stock under 50', unless you are looking at carrying really heavy loads, e.g., coil cars or some covered hoppers.  I, for one, welcome these releases because I model modern and we all know that Micro-Trains is never going to release these.  I think the most modern MTL release is the 70' Gunderson well car and it cannot carry 53' containers except in the top position.  Intermountain is coming out with mechanical reefers, of which I predict that they will sell a boatload (I know I have a pre-release order in).  So, with the modern reefers, standard tank cars, hi-cube boxcars, 3- and 4-bay covered hoppers, Thrall well cars, 89' flat cars, center beam flats, and now whale belly tankers, etc., we're pretty well covered, with the exception of coil cars.  I know coil cars are available as "one-offs" from craftsmen, but I don't have the money, even if I knew who to contact.  The situation is so much better now than it was when I got into Z, it is unbelievable.  And it is largely due to AZL.

                        The only criticism of AZL that I could think of is the lack of an AZL-backed service structure for locomotives.  I sent some locos along with a check to a guy who advertises that he services AZL locos and he has had them for several years now, with no action.  We're talking 1000s of $$ worth of brass locos.  Hope he sees this.  But it just emphasizes the need for a formal service structure.  The Stiskas are no help with AZL locos, they seem to specialize in the MTL line.

                      CheerZ,
                        -- Malcolm Z
                      MCZ Models

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                        Malcolm,

                        I hope what I was told by IM is not true in the long run, but presently, IM is holding off on the mechanical reefers because of low pre orders.  Only time will tell as to whether IM continues with Z products.

                        And it might be a service to any AZL loco owner if you either discreetly or openly shared the name of the person holding your locos.  No one wants to have their locos held captive.  That is a serious issue by any standard.

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                          I'm in the same but with a sound install. 'Done' on multiple e-mails but not in my hands. Missed a nice SP meet where I could have showed off Z and a show where we had some awesome sun entry that would have helped get some magazine shots.

                          Jeff
                          SF Bay Area Z

                          Sent 'from the road'

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                            Jeff,
                            I just received the following from IM.....

                            CANCELLATIONS

                            Over the past few months there have been a few items that have not generated enough interest through the Advance Reservation system to justify production. We will be noting the cancellations on the Advance Reservation section of the website. They will be marked CANCELLED for three months and then removed from the list.

                             This seems to confirm what I was told months ago.  There is no mention of any particular item, but I can only guess the announcement may refer to Z scale also.

                            Loren

                            I'm in the same but with a sound install. 'Done' on multiple e-mails but not in my hands. Missed a nice SP meet where I could have showed off Z and a show where we had some awesome sun entry that would have helped get some magazine shots.
                            Jeff
                            SF Bay Area Z

                          • Dave Mummery
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                              Loren and Gang,
                              Silly question of the day; I was under the impression that these where to be distributed in March 2014, I never heard of a delay, so how is it these are just being canceled now?
                              I did place an order for 6 of them

                              Dave Mummery

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 5, 2014
                                Well Dave,

                                Months ago I was wondering just how late, (the usual delivery time for new products) the new body style would be released.

                                I called IM and was told the project was on 'hold' because of low pre orders.  It appears to me that IM is NOT going to invest  money in a product they don't think will sell well.

                                The announcement today was sent out to all IM dealers.  Looks to me like the project may be dead in the water.  We won't know for sure until the announcement appears on their web site.  Don't know when that will be.

                                Loren

                                  Silly question of the day; I was under the impression that these where to be distributed in March 2014, I never heard of a delay, so how is it these are just being canceled now?
                                  I did place an order for 6 of them

                                  Dave Mummery

                                • thomas cipelle

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 7, 2014

                                      Malcolm,

                                      I sympathize with your dilemma on the locomotives.  I sent my unfinished SW00 to a certain well known craftsman for finishing and lighting, with full payment.  That was almost three years ago now.  He won’t even answer emails or private messages now, even though he keeps showing up on the Trainboard Forum.  Very frustrating.

                                      And I have a number of AZL locos (brass) that are dead and requiring service, but with no reliable options for motor replacement, etc., they remain very expensive paperweights.

                                      Unfortunately, it seems the growth we’ve seen in Z over the past 15 years has slowed to a crawl.  Now with the expected IM announcement, things are definitely cooling off.  Bummer.

                                      Bryan

                                      >They're nice for those of us with big layouts and/or >larger radii. But for average (likely above average) user, these look silly running around 195/220 radii and take up >a lot of siding/spur space and about 2 nominal cars in a train. I am glad to see new rolling stock but not these >continued release of nothing under 50 feet.
                                      >Jeff
                                      >SF Bay Area Z

                                        Have to agree with Jeff, especially long cars on 195mm radii curves.  220mm is not much better.  AZL has decided to stick with releasing modern freight stock after their release of old reefers, and it's hard to find modern rolling stock under 50', unless you are looking at carrying really heavy loads, e.g., coil cars or some covered hoppers.  I, for one, welcome these releases because I model modern and we all know that Micro-Trains is never going to release these.  I think the most modern MTL release is the 70' Gunderson well car and it cannot carry 53' containers except in the top position.  Intermountain is coming out with mechanical reefers, of which I predict that they will sell a boatload (I know I have a pre-release order in).  So, with the modern reefers, standard tank cars, hi-cube boxcars, 3- and 4-bay covered hoppers, Thrall well cars, 89' flat cars, center beam flats, and now whale belly tankers, etc., we're pretty well covered, with the exception of coil cars.  I know coil cars are available as "one-offs" from craftsmen, but I don't have the money, even if I knew who to contact.  The situation is so much better now than it was when I got into Z, it is unbelievable.  And it is largely due to AZL.

                                        The only criticism of AZL that I could think of is the lack of an AZL-backed service structure for locomotives.  I sent some locos along with a check to a guy who advertises that he services AZL locos and he has had them for several years now, with no action.  We're talking 1000s of $$ worth of brass locos.  Hope he sees this.  But it just emphasizes the need for a formal service structure.  The Stiskas are no help with AZL locos, they seem to specialize in the MTL line.

                                      CheerZ,
                                        -- Malcolm Z
                                      MCZ Models

                                    • Alan Cox
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 7, 2014
                                        > Unfortunately, it seems the growth we've seen in Z over the past 15 years
                                        > has slowed to a crawl. Now with the expected IM announcement, things are
                                        > definitely cooling off. Bummer.

                                        Likewise over here in the UK. Actually Z in the UK has basically died at
                                        this point. There are no Z stockists of any note, nobody carries any of
                                        the US stuff, it's rarely seen at shows and never gets a note in the
                                        press. Even things like 3mm fine scale get more coverage. Z was never
                                        strong in the UK but its basically vanished.

                                        I think its sort of inevitable - N has been driven by heavy competition
                                        giving low prices and a large modeller base. The competition and the
                                        userbase have driven us from the point where Z was smaller but often
                                        better made and with more features like lighting, to the point where the
                                        N standard is DCC ready, lighting fitted, sound often easy to add.

                                        Even the trackwork has been driven by that competition. Code 40 finescale
                                        track is fairly routine in N, it's still soldering iron and templates in
                                        Z even though Z track is cruder than N was.

                                        Z is IMHO simply not quite enough smaller than N to survive that battle
                                        except as a specialist scale and for narrow gauge N work.

                                        People still run, build and exhibit in scales long dead in the RTR world,
                                        or scales like 3mm where there was never any serious RTR so I'm sure Z
                                        will survive providing there are small manufacturers making fine scale
                                        track parts, producing wheels, turned components and the like for scratch
                                        building. And we have 3D print... so the world is not all doom and gloom!

                                        Alan
                                      • John Mui

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 7, 2014
                                            Alan,

                                            I am a bit surprised to read your post. I have been following Z in the UK and it seems to be doing okay. Their is the Zedex show every year, plus Continental  Modeller publishes Z scale articles quite ofter. There is definitely room for growth though!

                                            As for dealers, I can't argue with you there. I have been trying to find a dealer to carry AZL in the UK, but have had no success. Graham Jones is a dealer, but he is the only one.

                                            Rob

                                            On May 7, 2014, at 7:02 AM, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:

[...]

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                               Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                               z_scale-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                               z_scale-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 7, 2014
                                              On Wed, 7 May 2014 08:17:29 -0400
                                              Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                                              > Alan,
                                              >
                                              > I am a bit surprised to read your post. I have been following Z in the UK and it seems to be doing okay. Their is the Zedex show every year, plus Continental Modeller publishes Z scale articles quite ofter. There is definitely room for growth though!

                                              Specialist show and corners of specialist magazines.

                                              > As for dealers, I can't argue with you there. I have been trying to find a dealer to carry AZL in the UK, but have had no success. Graham Jones is a dealer, but he is the only one.

                                              Märklin did most of the damage here when they changed all the rules about
                                              dealerships and stockists.