Re : [Z_Scale] electric pick-up problems Wheel spacing

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 2:57 AM
      Unfortunately there is no real standard for Z scale wheel gauge. Maybe there's a NMRA recommended value but as far as I know there is no available NMRA track and wheel gauge. But one can use the Micro-Trains track and wheel gauge (#988 00 032) in order to have a wheel spacing that matches at least with MTL track and turnouts.

      Dom

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 7:36 AM
        Dom,
        The NMRA standard document S-4.2 is: http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-4.2%202010.02.24.pdf
        I know this standard has been around for at least 25 years as I have a paper copy from the mid eighties. Also, the NMRA has recently issued at least one warrant of compliance for an MTL frieght car. So it is being used. I really haven't measured much of my rolling stock, so I don't know how common compliance is.
        There is a European standard in the NEM310 series. I don't know much more as my railroad German is poor and my railroad French nonexistent.
        Last year I had the time to really study the NMRA standard and Jeff is right: if a wheel set is manufactured to the wrong directions of tolerance, one can have a set that meets the standard that don't work. I brought it up to the Z Standards committee last year and still waiting to hear from them.

        Mark

        > Unfortunately there is no real standard for Z scale wheel gauge. Maybe there's a NMRA recommended value but as far as I know there is no available NMRA track and wheel gauge. But one can use the Micro-Trains track and wheel gauge (#988 00 032) in order to have a wheel spacing that matches at least with MTL track and turnouts.
        >
        > Dom

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 7:47 AM
          Thanks for your input, Mark. But indeed I was (and still am) wondering about the existence of a gauge following NMRA recommendations. I've no knowledge of such a device, that's why I'm sticking to my MTL sample.
          Dom

          I know this standard has been around for at least 25 years as I have a paper copy from the mid eighties. Also, the NMRA has recently issued at least one warrant of compliance for an MTL frieght car. So it is being used. I really haven't measured much of my rolling stock, so I don't know how common compliance is.
          There is a European standard in the NEM310 series. I don't know much more as my railroad German is poor and my railroad French nonexistent.
          Last year I had the time to really study the NMRA standard and Jeff is right: if a wheel set is manufactured to the wrong directions of tolerance, one can have a set that meets the standard that don't work. I brought it up to the Z Standards committee last year and still waiting to hear from them.

          Mark

          > Unfortunately there is no real standard for Z scale wheel gauge. Maybe there's a NMRA recommended value but as far as I know there is no available NMRA track and wheel gauge. But one can use the Micro-Trains track and wheel gauge (#988 00 032) in order to have a wheel spacing that matches at least with MTL track and turnouts.
          >
          > Dom

        • mark2playz
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30 8:55 AM
            Dom,
            As I understand it, DKS looked into such a gauge when he did the Z clearance gauges, but the costs of doing it right was prohibitively expensive.

            Mark