Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Rokuhan Control and Turnouts

  • Gardenrails
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
      Thanks for the information. I have a few MT locos but none of those.
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 24, 2013, at 4:47 PM, "Allan B" <themohican2003@...> wrote:

      > I would say your only limit to number of turnout switches would be the amount of table space to hold them. Since the switches are only turned on when you move the turnout there is no limit due to no load at idle. I have found that certain motors take a lot more current and tend to overload the controller. MicroTrains F units in particular are hard to keep running.
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone on the group have experience with the ROK-RC-01 transformer?

    • thomas cipelle
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
        ive been using the rc001 coupler yrs have no problem double heading running just remember marklin motors will trip  the roukhan control sooner zero problems withAZL andMTL engines
        I run them 8hrs day at train shows personly  avoid croo2 2other people and I had one them shoot wild voltage took my bad one back hobby shop paid difference for another rcoo1. been using rokuhan power pac for over 2yrs really like them. Also use duel 2800 MRC units. times I,m running up 5 layouts at shows but use MRC or Marklin  power pac,s for Marklin engines  Thomas C.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
          Thanks for the information. Guess I need to start saving money for 3 of these transformers.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 24, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

          > This controller can handle up to 1 amp before it trips the breaker so
          > it will handle double or triple headed front end power no problem. for turnouts with the Y cable you can control 2 turnouts from one switch like in a passing siding where you want to open and close both ends simultaneously the RC03 is the turnout controller and it can be powered with the wall transformer as a stand alone unit with multiple ganged switches or it can be ganged on the side of a controller either RC01 or RC02. With these controllers you have the ability to operate 2 sidings from each switch unit with the A))5 Y cable and there are extension cables for track feed and turnout control wires available so complete plug and play . The turnouts as supplied are power routing. ie power follow the points and the other track is disconnected. however they come with screws that will change them to non power routing like the micro trains and Marklin turnouts.
          >
          > So you have a choice
          >
          > regards Garth
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone on the group have experience with the ROK-RC-01 transformer?
          > >
          > > I am planning a layout that would allow me to run up to (6) trains at once and most of those would be double headed so what are the limitations of this transformer. There will be (3) loops so I assume I need (3) seperate transformers, (1) for each loop would probably be the most pratical.
          > >
          > > Also, I also know from what I have been reading that I can control (2) pairs of turnouts with this transformer and then snap only more switches to the end of the transformer but is there a limit of how many of these ROK-C002 switches that can be added?
          > >
          > > Mack

        • Gardenrails
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
            Thanks for the information. I only have MT locos at this point. Hoping to run two double headed trains at a time on each of the 3 loops. Looks like I will need 3 of these RC001'S. Looks like Klein has the best price on these.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 24, 2013, at 9:55 PM, thomas cipelle <thomasc600@...> wrote:

            > ive been using the rc001 coupler yrs have no problem double heading running just remember marklin motors will trip the roukhan control sooner zero problems withAZL andMTL engines
            > I run them 8hrs day at train shows personly avoid croo2 2other people and I had one them shoot wild voltage took my bad one back hobby shop paid difference for another rcoo1. been using rokuhan power pac for over 2yrs really like them. Also use duel 2800 MRC units. times I,m running up 5 layouts at shows but use MRC or Marklin power pac,s for Marklin engines Thomas C.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Lee Barry
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
              you're right about those MT F units, mostly junk and super noisy !!!
              I would say your only limit to number of turnout switches would be the amount of table space to hold them. Since the switches are only turned on when you move the turnout there is no limit due to no load at idle. I have found that certain motors take a lot more current and tend to overload the controller. MicroTrains F units in particular are hard to keep running.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone on the group have experience with the ROK-RC-01 transformer?

            • Edward Scullin
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                If all of your MTL locos are diesels you should have no problems running double headed.  The coreless motors MTL and AZL use draw about 15-25 Milli amps while Marklin 3 pole motors draw about 200 milli amps each.Ed Scullin

                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2013
                  Lee,

                  Kind of high jacking the thread here a bit, but I had to tell you that Karin
                  has a F7 A powered and unpowered B unit that she had not run in several
                  years. The other day Karin decided to sell them and I cleaned a test track
                  and when I put the A unit on the track I was dumbfounded at how quiet the A
                  unit was. It defys all logic because normally the A powered units are
                  threshing machine noise worthy. I was so surprised I called her out to the
                  shop and had her watch it for a minute. I seem to have the opposite of a
                  factory lemon. Don't know what to call it except "sweet".

                  you're right about those MT F units, mostly junk and super noisy !!!