Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Marklin Hardend Oil Syndrome

  • Edward Scullin
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2013
      Thanks Will look them up right a way.Ed S

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2013
        Ed,
        I have a product that I was planning to market just prior to some health problems slowed me down. This is a non toxic de-gumming fluid I call "Lok-Free". The fluid dissolves hard oil deposits in motor bearings and heart trains in seconds but will not harm paint.
        I would be happy to send you a sample. Just give me your mailing address.
        Jay Greer
        Chief Conductor
        Trax Inc.
        On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Edward Scullin wrote:

        > How do I defeat HOS in a Marklin A unit?
        > I have a UP ABA set and I measure about 100 ohms on each of them motors. On an 0-6-0 I measure about 85 ohms ABA unit did not run, so I'm assuming HOS.
        > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
        > Ed Scullin
        > Roanoke VA

      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2013
          Does it work on motors also? I went to Zscale.org and found out how to take the gears off. I got them cleaned, but the motors were frozen. I as able to free one up using alcohol. The other one can be turned by hand (on the gears), but is still too tight to run off a 9 volt battery.
          Ed Scullin
          707 South Battery Drive
          Roanoke VA
          24019-4380

          > I have a product that I was planning to market just prior to
          > some health problems slowed me down.  This is a non
          > toxic de-gumming fluid I call "Lok-Free".  The fluid
          > dissolves hard oil deposits in motor bearings and heart
          > trains in seconds but will not harm paint.
          > I would be happy to send you a sample.  Just give me
          > your mailing address.
          > Jay Greer
          > Chief Conductor
          > Trax Inc.
          > On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Edward Scullin wrote:
          >
          > > How do I defeat HOS in a Marklin A unit?
          > > I have a UP ABA set and I measure about 100 ohms on
          > each of them motors. On an 0-6-0 I measure about 85 ohms ABA
          > unit did not run, so I'm assuming HOS.
          > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
          > > Ed Scullin
          > > Roanoke VA

          >     z_scale-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Jay Greer
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
            Ed,
            It does work on motor bearings as well. But, since it is water based, it must be kept aware from the field coil and armature. The armature can be turned using a tooth pick once a drop of Lok/free is applied to the bearings. Applying short bursts of power will free it further. Once hot and dry a drop of Lok-lube can then be applied to the bearings. The oil is best applied by dipping a fine needle, eye end, into the oil. Sticking a needle into a cork is handy for holding it. This oil will not gum up!
            On Apr 23, 2013, at 5:15 PM, Edward Scullin wrote:

            > Does it work on motors also? I went to Zscale.org and found out how to take the gears off. I got them cleaned, but the motors were frozen. I as able to free one up using alcohol. The other one can be turned by hand (on the gears), but is still too tight to run off a 9 volt battery.
            > Ed Scullin
            > 707 South Battery Drive
            > Roanoke VA
            > 24019-4380

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
              Ed,
              Couple of thoughts. If the motors are that messed-up, you should probably replace the brushes. Also since you've already gotten to the motors out and the mechanics cleaned, you might want to consider upgrading to a 5-pole motor from the existing 3-pole. Improves the low speed performance on the Mikado.

              Mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

              > Does it work on motors also? I went to Zscale.org and found out how to take the gears off. I got them cleaned, but the motors were frozen. I as able to free one up using alcohol. The other one can be turned by hand (on the gears), but is still too tight to run off a 9 volt battery.
              > Ed Scullin
              > 707 South Battery Drive
              > Roanoke VA
              > 24019-4380
            • Edward Scullin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
                Thanks for the information. Cant wait to try it.
                Ed S

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
                  These are on an A B A diesel unit.  Not sure I want to invest that much into it, about $125.  It looks good just as a static display on the layout whose curves are too tight to run long passenger cars.  Layout is Dave George's Golden Blackhawk and Central City.  We mostly run Micro trains diesels at show.Ed S