Re: Marklin Hardend Oil Syndrome

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23 12:14 PM
      Ed,
      HOS is usually from the loco setting unused for years, the cure is generally a good cleaning and lub. www.zscale.org has some good info.

      Mark

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

      > How do I defeat HOS in a Marklin A unit?
      > I have a UP ABA set and I measure about 100 ohms on each of them motors. On an 0-6-0 I measure about 85 ohms ABA unit did not run, so I'm assuming HOS.
      > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      > Ed Scullin
      > Roanoke VA

    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23 12:30 PM
        Thanks Will look them up right a way.Ed S

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23 3:32 PM
          Ed,
          I have a product that I was planning to market just prior to some health problems slowed me down. This is a non toxic de-gumming fluid I call "Lok-Free". The fluid dissolves hard oil deposits in motor bearings and heart trains in seconds but will not harm paint.
          I would be happy to send you a sample. Just give me your mailing address.
          Jay Greer
          Chief Conductor
          Trax Inc.
          On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Edward Scullin wrote:

          > How do I defeat HOS in a Marklin A unit?
          > I have a UP ABA set and I measure about 100 ohms on each of them motors. On an 0-6-0 I measure about 85 ohms ABA unit did not run, so I'm assuming HOS.
          > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
          > Ed Scullin
          > Roanoke VA

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23 5:15 PM
            Does it work on motors also? I went to Zscale.org and found out how to take the gears off. I got them cleaned, but the motors were frozen. I as able to free one up using alcohol. The other one can be turned by hand (on the gears), but is still too tight to run off a 9 volt battery.
            Ed Scullin
            707 South Battery Drive
            Roanoke VA
            24019-4380

            > I have a product that I was planning to market just prior to
            > some health problems slowed me down.  This is a non
            > toxic de-gumming fluid I call "Lok-Free".  The fluid
            > dissolves hard oil deposits in motor bearings and heart
            > trains in seconds but will not harm paint.
            > I would be happy to send you a sample.  Just give me
            > your mailing address.
            > Jay Greer
            > Chief Conductor
            > Trax Inc.
            > On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Edward Scullin wrote:
            >
            > > How do I defeat HOS in a Marklin A unit?
            > > I have a UP ABA set and I measure about 100 ohms on
            > each of them motors. On an 0-6-0 I measure about 85 ohms ABA
            > unit did not run, so I'm assuming HOS.
            > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
            > > Ed Scullin
            > > Roanoke VA

            >     z_scale-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Jay Greer
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26 12:27 PM
              Ed,
              It does work on motor bearings as well. But, since it is water based, it must be kept aware from the field coil and armature. The armature can be turned using a tooth pick once a drop of Lok/free is applied to the bearings. Applying short bursts of power will free it further. Once hot and dry a drop of Lok-lube can then be applied to the bearings. The oil is best applied by dipping a fine needle, eye end, into the oil. Sticking a needle into a cork is handy for holding it. This oil will not gum up!

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26 12:54 PM
                Ed,
                Couple of thoughts. If the motors are that messed-up, you should probably replace the brushes. Also since you've already gotten to the motors out and the mechanics cleaned, you might want to consider upgrading to a 5-pole motor from the existing 3-pole. Improves the low speed performance on the Mikado.

                Mark

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                > Does it work on motors also? I went to Zscale.org and found out how to take the gears off. I got them cleaned, but the motors were frozen. I as able to free one up using alcohol. The other one can be turned by hand (on the gears), but is still too tight to run off a 9 volt battery.
                > Ed Scullin
                > 707 South Battery Drive
                > Roanoke VA
                > 24019-4380
              • Edward Scullin
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26 1:15 PM
                  Thanks for the information. Cant wait to try it.
                  Ed S

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 26 1:20 PM
                    These are on an A B A diesel unit.  Not sure I want to invest that much into it, about $125.  It looks good just as a static display on the layout whose curves are too tight to run long passenger cars.  Layout is Dave George's Golden Blackhawk and Central City.  We mostly run Micro trains diesels at show.Ed S