Re: Marklin vs Micro Train coupler.

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 5, 2013
      copied this from the Micro trains store web site

      Item #PriceDescription

      002 02 010 $4.65 Short shank coupler for Marklin® cars & locomotives (902)2 pr. per pack

      002 02 020 $4.65 Body mount coupler for Z & Nn3 cars
      (903)2 pr. per pack

      002 02 021 $7.60 Assembled #903 body mount coupler
      for Z & Nn3 cars (
      905)2 pr. per pack

      002 04 010 $2.60 Marklin-compatible, body mount replacement couplers (907) 3 pr. per paxk

      002 04 011$ 3.25 Marklin-compatible coupler, fits F-7 loco & caboose (908)2 pr per pack
      902 and 903 require you to remove the metal plate that holds the fish hook in place intall the 903 or 903 and replace the plate. The plate is held in place by heate selding the plate onto plastic pillars, if you use a small jewelers file you can remove the metled plastic while still leaving a bit of the post sticking up through the plate so when you reinstall the plated just touch the top of the post with a soldering iron to hold in place. Other wise cut off the melted plastic and remove the plate. after re installing the cover plate a dab of rubber cement can be used to hold cover in place, but go easy you don't want any glue below the cover plate, and it takes a bit of time to set. Other wise you can use ACC gel and don't go crazy just a drop on the junction between post and plate. do not use the liquid type of ACC as it will flow into pocket and jam coupler and spring so the whole thing is useless. The other option is to remove the coupler and pocket from the Marklin truck and body mount the coupler to the car. You need a 00-90 tap and drill set to drill and tap the mounting hole for mounting the coupler with 00-90 screw supplied and you use a (905 coupler for body mounting. The other option is to replace the Marklin trucks with Micro Trains ones. If you can find a conversion plate for the car then it is pretty straight forward if not you need to make a new bolster to glue to car bottom and it has to be positioned at teh correct distance from the end of the car and then drill a hole for the truck pin that comes with the Micro trains trucks in the bolster. You could also use the trucksand bolster pins with couplers from Full Throttle or from American Z lines.

      need help with where to go for this stuff or more help send me a private e-mail off the list.

      regards Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Hen <southridge90@...> wrote:

      > Is it even possible to convert a Marklin coupler to an Micro Train type? Looking at
      > my Marklin set, I'm not sure it is.
      >
      > Eddie

    • Eddie Hen
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 11, 2013
        Thanks Mark. I saw the layout in the file section of the Yahoo Group. I could not get the link you provided in your responce to work though.

        Eddie