Re: Today In History

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 768 , Apr 1, 2013
      Reynard,
      Yeah the cable cars started in 1873, but the concept came out of a streetcar accident in the late 1860s. As I recall (from one of the Today in History posts from last year) the first SF streetcar was 1858.
      As far as a Z scale horse-drawn streetcar, how about a motorized street car that pushes the horse on a stiff harness? A small wheel between the legs to simulate motion?

      Mark

      > Hi Mark,
      >
      > One liner violation:
      > Yes, a monorail that floats on air pressure is a flying railway!
      >
      > Most stuff on the internet says that the SF cable-cars
      > first ran in 1873 - but ye olde dates and times can become
      > unproductive hairsplitting. Seeing John Dunno's reference
      > to the pictures of LA horse-drawn streetcars has inspired
      > a notion to design something usable for Z scale---
      > But getting those tiny zinc-cast horses to pull the trolleys
      > would be the real challenge...oats wont work.
      >
      > Reynard

    • FT. Dewey
      Message 768 of 768 , Jan 31

        1855 Western railroads blocked by snow
        1874 Jesse James gang robs train at Gads Hill MO
        1932 US railway unions accept 10% wage reduction

        _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`