Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Rokuhan tight curves

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
      Hello Richard,

      > I don't think that the Rokuhan roadbed track is that much easier to
      > assemble than Marklin track; it's probably a little sturdier and of
      > course the ends and connectors are a little better protected.

      In my opinion the MTL sections are a little easier to connect then
      the Maerklin sections, and yes they are also better protected at the
      ends, because of the roadbed and those roadbed joiners.

      > there's not much difference at all between MTL roadbed track and
      > Rokuhan; I subjectively prefer Rokuhan, but that's just me. And of
      > course Rokuhan offers a lot more variety than MTL.

      I don't understand why MTL didn't made more different sections.
      Somehow the MTL system looks like work started, but not finished. Also
      the turn out drives are uglier then the Maerklin ones.

      So I will think about a change to the Rokuhan system. Besides I also
      like the idea of a batterie run system.

      GreetingZ

      Uwe
    • Gardenrails
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
        Thanks for the information. I have ordered some of the track and switches so we will see. I have a lot of the MT track but I have had problems with the switches so I am making the change. I like the power routing concept of the Rokuhan switches and the battery power as well. Transformer is the next purchase.

        Mack

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 30, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

        > Hello Richard,
        >
        > > I don't think that the Rokuhan roadbed track is that much easier to
        > > assemble than Marklin track; it's probably a little sturdier and of
        > > course the ends and connectors are a little better protected.
        >
        > In my opinion the MTL sections are a little easier to connect then
        > the Maerklin sections, and yes they are also better protected at the
        > ends, because of the roadbed and those roadbed joiners.
        >
        > > there's not much difference at all between MTL roadbed track and
        > > Rokuhan; I subjectively prefer Rokuhan, but that's just me. And of
        > > course Rokuhan offers a lot more variety than MTL.
        >
        > I don't understand why MTL didn't made more different sections.
        > Somehow the MTL system looks like work started, but not finished. Also
        > the turn out drives are uglier then the Maerklin ones.
        >
        > So I will think about a change to the Rokuhan system. Besides I also
        > like the idea of a batterie run system.
        >
        > GreetingZ
        >
        > Uwe

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
          Richard,
          Thanks for the railbus info. I'd been wondering how they would perform, since I don't have any myself. I suspect if you wanted to rethink the drawbar, the set would work just find.
          We talk about tight curves, but most people don't realize how much we do a "radius compression": the prototype I'm modeling (WP) had a rule of less than 1% grade and 4-degree ( nearly 2m if I did the math right) So,while I appreciate the 245 & 270 mm curves, I'd like to see a 490 mm 30-degree curve.

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

          > Mark,
          >
          > You're quite right about the coupler factors being a critical factor, and yeah, however they're measured and/or described, tight curves in general don't look prototypical.
          >
          > Interesting comment about the street car track; led me to try a pair of Marklin 8817-style railbusses that I have. This particular set was modified 9not by me) with a permanent drawbar connection between the cars. The curves themselves present no problem, but in the one section of the inner dogbone where the curve reverses the drawbar essentially flips the one car off the track as the other car changes angle. An individual railbus would probably be fine.
          >
          > RGM

        • thomas cipelle
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2013
            Iproberly have more rokuhan track than most you it works well just remember rokuhan power packs not very  fond of marklin engines  may trip electronic safty device I run rokuhan from litte as 6inch circle all way up better 22inch circle plus  using engines from marklin   micro train and azl. pulling set 28cars  single engine on 30inch by 4foot track my average train  is 16 cars long.
            tried both  4wheel marklin and 2boogie marklin also some 18 axle marklin pulling thru  roukhan cross over as well as marklin double  slip switch  at present running20 car tank train  mix  marklintank cars  mtl tank cars as well as 8 single dome MTL tank cars second train is 9 MTL flat cars 3balk head 5uncle wills hoppers2 mtl covered hoppers.opps by the way roukhan is 13degree cross over also mixed  track 1/3 is MTL to prove point how blendable the  MFG most inporant ruleNEVER glue down  roukhan switches let them  float.fact protect bottom switches while secenery drys I use wax paper   Thomas C