"Z" Scale Track and Switches

  • gardenrails
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
      I am just getting started on a plan for a small layout for my office. I have some of the MT snap track but have started looking at the Rokuhan track and trying to decide which way to go. I like the diverted power switching capabilities of the Rokuhan and the flex track. They seem to have a little more to offer in track.

      Any recommendations from the group?

      Mack Canady
      Greensboro, NC
    • BAZ
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
        A *lot more! Multi-radii, curved turnouts, crossings, etc. makes for a much more flexible design (i.e. not an oval ! )

        Jeff

        Sent 'from the road'

        On Mar 27, 2013, at 4:37 AM, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

        > I am just getting started on a plan for a small layout for my office. I have some of the MT snap track but have started looking at the Rokuhan track and trying to decide which way to go. I like the diverted power switching capabilities of the Rokuhan and the flex track. They seem to have a little more to offer in track.
        >
        > Any recommendations from the group?
        >
        > Mack Canady
        > Greensboro, NC

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
          Mack,
          I too like the Rokuhan power routing turnouts. The flex track is interesting, but because of the roadbed segments, I would use it more as a filler piece with small excursions from straight than for major curves.
          Rokuhan makes every sectional piece anybody else makes, plus a couple more. The smaller radius curves are particularly valuable for a small tabletop layout. I would suggest not going smaller than the 120mm radius for U.S. locos and rolling stock.
          The big issue is generally the tie spacing, which is more European or Japanese than U.S. It's most noticable on layouts you would look down on. I don't find the spacing a big issue, particularly if you use a bit of ballast on the outside edges of the plastic roadbed.
          Others may disagree with me, but I don't consider the track choice to be an either/or decision. Rokuhan makes an adapter for non roadbed track. The plans I have for my new layout is to use Rokuhan turnouts, 90-degree crossing and large radius curves to MTL flex through the adapters to MTL sectional to get the best of operation and appearance.

          Hope this helps,

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

          > I am just getting started on a plan for a small layout for my office. I have some of the MT snap track but have started looking at the Rokuhan track and trying to decide which way to go. I like the diverted power switching capabilities of the Rokuhan and the flex track. They seem to have a little more to offer in track.
          >
          > Any recommendations from the group?
          >
          > Mack Canady
          > Greensboro, NC

        • Mack Canady
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
            Mark,

            Thanks again for you input, I guess I just need to order some of the Rokuhan track from Anthony and at least get started. I bought the AnyRail 5 software and it is great for planning a layout of nearly and size or scale.

            Thanks again,

            Mack Canady
            Greensboro, NC