Azl gp-38 Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific, CSx

  • harold grady
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
      hi folks, iam deliriously happy after purchasing the above items from king Anthony and receiving his royal
      Treatment and service. the gp-38's were painted most exquisite
      And looked just as good almost as brass, especially the CSx unit, as a matter of fact I can't stop staring at it.
      I know John is as happy as I am. I also purchased 3 Micron Art diesel detailing handrail kits, but you know what,
      The gp-38's didn't look that bad even with the stock handrails.

      I have nothing but praise for the way Hans and AZL has refined and evolved these units, simply beautiful,
      Keep up the good work. My only critism is the air horns should be moved a tad bit forward and slightly
      Overhang on top of the cab.

      why aren't z scalers talking about these units more. They are a much needed source of scarce z scale locomotives.

      I also bought a Intermoutain cylindrical hopper, my first one, and it is georgous, true state of the art, and like the
      Gp-38 nobody is talking about it why. Why.

      Harold Grady

    • Gardenrails
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
        I was wondering myself why I had not read more about these. I had 3 of the AZL SD 70s and they ran really well but at $200.00 plus each they should. They were just too big. I have several of the MT SD40-2 and the GP9 and they run great. So how do the AZL GP-38s run?

        Mack Canady

        Sent from my iPhone

      • harold grady
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
          Mack the GP-38's run like a well oiled precision machine, in a word flawless.
          Yeah it's a damn shame all the new AZL stuff from the intermodal. Stuff to the waffle side gon
          You don't hear o.

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
            Mine runs great, but it in the shops getting a repaint and added features.Ed ScullinRoanoke VA

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
              Ed what are you repainting it into?

              Rob

              On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

              > Mine runs great, but it in the shops getting a repaint and added features.Ed ScullinRoanoke VA

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              Distributor American Z Line
              Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
              and Tenshodo dealer
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              www.zscaletrack.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703

            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
                Harold,
                I posted comments on the GP38-2 right after returning from the Z Scale convention last year but I guess it's worth repeating. It's the best performing loco I have with the AZL GP30 close behind. Speed profile similar to the prototype. With a PWM DC throttle (Snail) will run a single digit MPH (scale) and will pull at least 20 40' box cars to 40 MPH (scale). I've posted a speed/power curve on the AZL site.
                The paint jobs on the SP & UP units is excellent as is the level of detail. The headlight LED is a little too blue for my tastes, but that is easily fixed. I also recently purchased the Micron Art detailing kit. It looks good, but I'm not sure how much of it I want to use: at least the fans and railings. Beyond that, I'm not sure I'm ready to start cutting into the shell, unless AZL will be offering to sell replacement shells.
                In the case of both Anthony and AZL, it seems that they have consistently set such a high standard that the community takes it for granted. Also, IMHO the national pass time of critism has passed into our hobby to the point that far more space is committed to slipped schedules and shipping charges than the overall quality of products and services we receive. I still remember when the highlight of a Z scaler's year was the announcement of which paint scheme would be on the F7 for the year.

                Mark

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, harold grady <butch60619@...> wrote:

                > hi folks, iam deliriously happy after purchasing the above items from king Anthony and receiving his royal
                > Treatment and service. the gp-38's were painted most exquisite
                > And looked just as good almost as brass, especially the CSx unit, as a matter of fact I can't stop staring at it.
                > I know John is as happy as I am. I also purchased 3 Micron Art diesel detailing handrail kits, but you know what,
                > The gp-38's didn't look that bad even with the stock handrails.
                >
                > I have nothing but praise for the way Hans and AZL has refined and evolved these units, simply beautiful,
                > Keep up the good work. My only critism is the air horns should be moved a tad bit forward and slightly
                > Overhang on top of the cab.
                >
                > why aren't z scalers talking about these units more. They are a much needed source of scarce z scale locomotives.
                >
                > I also bought a Intermoutain cylindrical hopper, my first one, and it is georgous, true state of the art, and like the
                > Gp-38 nobody is talking about it why. Why.
                >
                > Harold Grady

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 27, 2013
                  The AZL GP38 runs very fine. Awesome low speed caracteristics, fully steady at 3 scale mph... Just have to swap the truck mounted couplers with body mounted MTL couplers in order to perform switching operations with my 2 units (guess I'll shortly purchase a 3rd one..).

                  Dom

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 27, 2013
                    Miniatures by Eric makes the new end plates for the GP38-2  for body mount couplers. Eric

                  • John Mui
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 27, 2013
                      Eric, I don't see it in your catalog.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      John M

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 27, 2013
                        Into the skull river and Whitt valley railroad. A short line that runs around my brain.
                        Ed S

                        Sent from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

                        On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Robert Kluz <ztrack@...> wrote:

                        > Ed what are you repainting it into?
                        >
                        > Rob
                        >
                        > On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Mine runs great, but it in the shops getting a repaint and added features.Ed ScullinRoanoke VA

                      • BAZ
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 27, 2013
                          http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itmidx2.htm

                          Jeff