Re: MTL F Units

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
      Paul,
      There really should have been a sheet with an exploded schematic and care and feeding instructions in the bottom of the box. If not I can email you a copy.
      Being new to Z, be aware that it doesn't take much grit or hair to jam a motor. Also, driving the unit above 10V DC can definitely shorten the life of the unit (see the recent Horror Story post).
      I don't believe MTL does any repairs beyond warranty work, but they do have good customer service and can generally supply replacement parts of the F units.

      Hope this helps,

      Mark

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <atsf359@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...
      >
      > Paul

    • paul
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
        Mark,
        I got this unit used at a local train show...It ran fine for a bit...I don't think its anything serious but i don't have a schematic to show me how to disassemble it...A copy would be great if you could email it...BTW, MTL wants 50$ plus parts to repair..that's out of the question...if you want to email me direct its ATSF359@......thanks again...
        Paul

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

        > Paul,
        > There really should have been a sheet with an exploded schematic and care and feeding instructions in the bottom of the box. If not I can email you a copy.
        > Being new to Z, be aware that it doesn't take much grit or hair to jam a motor. Also, driving the unit above 10V DC can definitely shorten the life of the unit (see the recent Horror Story post).
        > I don't believe MTL does any repairs beyond warranty work, but they do have good customer service and can generally supply replacement parts of the F units.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <atsf359@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...
        > >
        > > Paul

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
          Paul,
          It seems that Yahoo is reluctant to let me email the info. Send me a private message and I should be able to to get them to you. Actually, the MTL non-waranty repair quote you have is better than I expected.
          By the way, welcome to Z. Do you have any specific Z scale modeling plans yet?