Re : [Z_Scale] MTL F Units

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
      Was it a brand new unit? Normally there is an instruction sheet in the bottom of the box of any brand new MTL locomotive...
      Dom

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
        Paul,
        There really should have been a sheet with an exploded schematic and care and feeding instructions in the bottom of the box. If not I can email you a copy.
        Being new to Z, be aware that it doesn't take much grit or hair to jam a motor. Also, driving the unit above 10V DC can definitely shorten the life of the unit (see the recent Horror Story post).
        I don't believe MTL does any repairs beyond warranty work, but they do have good customer service and can generally supply replacement parts of the F units.

        Hope this helps,

        Mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <atsf359@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...
        >
        > Paul

      • paul
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
          Mark,
          I got this unit used at a local train show...It ran fine for a bit...I don't think its anything serious but i don't have a schematic to show me how to disassemble it...A copy would be great if you could email it...BTW, MTL wants 50$ plus parts to repair..that's out of the question...if you want to email me direct its ATSF359@......thanks again...
          Paul

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

          > Paul,
          > There really should have been a sheet with an exploded schematic and care and feeding instructions in the bottom of the box. If not I can email you a copy.
          > Being new to Z, be aware that it doesn't take much grit or hair to jam a motor. Also, driving the unit above 10V DC can definitely shorten the life of the unit (see the recent Horror Story post).
          > I don't believe MTL does any repairs beyond warranty work, but they do have good customer service and can generally supply replacement parts of the F units.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <atsf359@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...
          > >
          > > Paul

        • mark2playz
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
            Paul,
            It seems that Yahoo is reluctant to let me email the info. Send me a private message and I should be able to to get them to you. Actually, the MTL non-waranty repair quote you have is better than I expected.
            By the way, welcome to Z. Do you have any specific Z scale modeling plans yet?