MTL F Units

  • paul
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hello,

      Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...

      Paul
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
        Was it a brand new unit? Normally there is an instruction sheet in the bottom of the box of any brand new MTL locomotive...
        Dom

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
          Paul,
          There really should have been a sheet with an exploded schematic and care and feeding instructions in the bottom of the box. If not I can email you a copy.
          Being new to Z, be aware that it doesn't take much grit or hair to jam a motor. Also, driving the unit above 10V DC can definitely shorten the life of the unit (see the recent Horror Story post).
          I don't believe MTL does any repairs beyond warranty work, but they do have good customer service and can generally supply replacement parts of the F units.

          Hope this helps,

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <atsf359@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...
          >
          > Paul

        • paul
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
            Mark,
            I got this unit used at a local train show...It ran fine for a bit...I don't think its anything serious but i don't have a schematic to show me how to disassemble it...A copy would be great if you could email it...BTW, MTL wants 50$ plus parts to repair..that's out of the question...if you want to email me direct its ATSF359@......thanks again...
            Paul

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

            > Paul,
            > There really should have been a sheet with an exploded schematic and care and feeding instructions in the bottom of the box. If not I can email you a copy.
            > Being new to Z, be aware that it doesn't take much grit or hair to jam a motor. Also, driving the unit above 10V DC can definitely shorten the life of the unit (see the recent Horror Story post).
            > I don't believe MTL does any repairs beyond warranty work, but they do have good customer service and can generally supply replacement parts of the F units.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <atsf359@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > Recently got a MTL F unit....ran fine then just up and died...Headlight comes on but nothing else....Any suggestions?...I cant seem to find a schematic to tear it apart and see.......Does MTL do repairs? thanks..I'm new to Z...
            > >
            > > Paul

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
              Paul,
              It seems that Yahoo is reluctant to let me email the info. Send me a private message and I should be able to to get them to you. Actually, the MTL non-waranty repair quote you have is better than I expected.
              By the way, welcome to Z. Do you have any specific Z scale modeling plans yet?