Re: [Z_Scale] Re: New to the Group

  • Gardenrails
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
      Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:

      > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
      > I do not model american but the principals are the same
      >
      > Regards Ralph
    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
        Mack,
        The Zephyr set is great for a small layout, I've run mine for years off and on on small layouts and modeling parts of its route in California has been my main interest in recent years. Couple thoughts for you.
        If you haven't run the Zephyr engine much, it may be a victim of "harden oil syndrome" (HOS). Early on, Marklin used a lubricant that doesn't age well. So, check the gears for a waxy build-up and if so, clean and re-lub.
        Also, the Marklin F7 doesn't DCC very easily, so you'll probably want to keep it DC.

        Mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Gardenrails <gardenrails@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
        > > I do not model american but the principals are the same
        > >
        > > Regards Ralph

      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
          DCCing can be done as Glen Chenier did both a F7A & F7B for me a number of
          years ago. More recently Don Fedjur has done a number of engines for me
          and based upon the ultra fine detail ditch lights he put in one I would
          suspect he also could do the Marklins. Also consider putting in a decoder
          in one or two cars behind the engine, such as steam. It does require
          permanent coupling, but IMHO that is a very minor problem.

          --
          *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

        • Jeff Thompson
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
            Welcome! I visited your area a few weeks ago, and came across rolling stock
            from this line - Aberedeen & Rockfish Railroad Co.:

            http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/

            They also have a subsidiary line - the Pee Dee River Line:

            http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/html/pdrr-home.html

            They are both only a couple of hours south of Greensboro. I don't know what
            you are planning on modeling, but you said you were planning on going small.
            You could almost do both lines, in their entirety, on a couple of modules.
            ;-)

            Seriously, welcome to Z!! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of a GREAT
            hobby!

            Jeff T

            ZoCal

          • Gardenrails
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
              Thanks Jeff. We hope to get out on the bike and go see the Aberdeen & Rockfish as well as the Aberdeen, Carolina & Western RR. As far as modeling it will be CP, CN and BCRail
              Sent from my iPhone