Re: New to the Group

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
      Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
      I do not model american but the principals are the same

      Regards Ralph

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
      >
      > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

    • Gardenrails
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
        Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:

        > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
        > I do not model american but the principals are the same
        >
        > Regards Ralph
      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
          Mack,
          The Zephyr set is great for a small layout, I've run mine for years off and on on small layouts and modeling parts of its route in California has been my main interest in recent years. Couple thoughts for you.
          If you haven't run the Zephyr engine much, it may be a victim of "harden oil syndrome" (HOS). Early on, Marklin used a lubricant that doesn't age well. So, check the gears for a waxy build-up and if so, clean and re-lub.
          Also, the Marklin F7 doesn't DCC very easily, so you'll probably want to keep it DC.

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Gardenrails <gardenrails@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
          > > I do not model american but the principals are the same
          > >
          > > Regards Ralph

        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
            DCCing can be done as Glen Chenier did both a F7A & F7B for me a number of
            years ago. More recently Don Fedjur has done a number of engines for me
            and based upon the ultra fine detail ditch lights he put in one I would
            suspect he also could do the Marklins. Also consider putting in a decoder
            in one or two cars behind the engine, such as steam. It does require
            permanent coupling, but IMHO that is a very minor problem.

            --
            *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

          • Jeff Thompson
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
              Welcome! I visited your area a few weeks ago, and came across rolling stock
              from this line - Aberedeen & Rockfish Railroad Co.:

              http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/

              They also have a subsidiary line - the Pee Dee River Line:

              http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/html/pdrr-home.html

              They are both only a couple of hours south of Greensboro. I don't know what
              you are planning on modeling, but you said you were planning on going small.
              You could almost do both lines, in their entirety, on a couple of modules.
              ;-)

              Seriously, welcome to Z!! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of a GREAT
              hobby!

              Jeff T

              ZoCal

            • Gardenrails
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
                Thanks Jeff. We hope to get out on the bike and go see the Aberdeen & Rockfish as well as the Aberdeen, Carolina & Western RR. As far as modeling it will be CP, CN and BCRail
                Sent from my iPhone