Re: [Z_Scale] New to the Group

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 15, 2013
      On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:45:29 -0000
      "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos

      The modern MTL locos run well but Z demands good track laying and
      cleanliness even more than N.

      DCC in Z is much more of a challenge - lot less space, much fiddlier and
      some of the parts you may need if you lose a spring or something are way
      harder to get than Kato or Bachmann spares.

      As to DCC sound.. thats really for the totally insane in Z, although
      pretty easy in N nowdays.

      Alan
    • thewag013
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 15, 2013
        Well howdy neighbor! Said with my not so best southern drawl. I'm
        next door in Kernersville. I've got some modules I've shown at the
        two Thompson's shows in Winston-Salem the past falls. Still not much
        more than the plywood pacific, but growing. Always glad to hear about
        Z in the area...especially the NEAR area.

        Ben

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
        >
        > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
          Hi Garden,
          Welcome to modeling Z. Nearly all your questions can be answered with: "It depends...". Choices for track or throttles or layout techniques really depends on what you want your layout to be, what your modeling skills are, what you'd like your skills to become and how much time and money you want to invest.
          In Z you'll find briefcase layouts, coffee table layouts (I've done a couple of these) to basement size, fantasy versus prototypical. It would seem from that from your CP comment, that you're leaning toward the prototypical. The smaller layouts tend to be battery powered and larger trend toward DCC.
          If you want to get up and running quickly, the roadbed sectional track from MTL or Rokuhan are decent choices, although using MTL or Pecos flex track or hand-laid track, while much more time consuming, will give better looking results.
          The GP9/GP35 from MTL are good running "second generation" units and run well on clean, well-laid track. I'm happy with mine. AZL has brought out what could be called "third generation" GPs that IMHO run exceptionally well, matching anything in the larger scales. I believe they have a CP GP38-2 you might find interesting.
          My rules for Z scale modeling are:
          It can never be too clean.
          Always use a 1/32" or finer metal ruler.
          "Close enough", "flat enough" or "straight enough" generally isn't.

          Hope this helps,
          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
          >
          > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

        • Mack Canady
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
            Thanks for your input Mark.

            Mack

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
              Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
              I do not model american but the principals are the same

              Regards Ralph

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

              > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
              >
              > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

            • Gardenrails
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
                Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:

                > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
                > I do not model american but the principals are the same
                >
                > Regards Ralph
              • mark2playz
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
                  Mack,
                  The Zephyr set is great for a small layout, I've run mine for years off and on on small layouts and modeling parts of its route in California has been my main interest in recent years. Couple thoughts for you.
                  If you haven't run the Zephyr engine much, it may be a victim of "harden oil syndrome" (HOS). Early on, Marklin used a lubricant that doesn't age well. So, check the gears for a waxy build-up and if so, clean and re-lub.
                  Also, the Marklin F7 doesn't DCC very easily, so you'll probably want to keep it DC.

                  Mark

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Gardenrails <gardenrails@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
                  > > I do not model american but the principals are the same
                  > >
                  > > Regards Ralph

                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
                    DCCing can be done as Glen Chenier did both a F7A & F7B for me a number of
                    years ago. More recently Don Fedjur has done a number of engines for me
                    and based upon the ultra fine detail ditch lights he put in one I would
                    suspect he also could do the Marklins. Also consider putting in a decoder
                    in one or two cars behind the engine, such as steam. It does require
                    permanent coupling, but IMHO that is a very minor problem.

                    --
                    *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                  • Jeff Thompson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
                      Welcome! I visited your area a few weeks ago, and came across rolling stock
                      from this line - Aberedeen & Rockfish Railroad Co.:

                      http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/

                      They also have a subsidiary line - the Pee Dee River Line:

                      http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/html/pdrr-home.html

                      They are both only a couple of hours south of Greensboro. I don't know what
                      you are planning on modeling, but you said you were planning on going small.
                      You could almost do both lines, in their entirety, on a couple of modules.
                      ;-)

                      Seriously, welcome to Z!! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of a GREAT
                      hobby!

                      Jeff T

                      ZoCal

                    • Gardenrails
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 17, 2013
                        Thanks Jeff. We hope to get out on the bike and go see the Aberdeen & Rockfish as well as the Aberdeen, Carolina & Western RR. As far as modeling it will be CP, CN and BCRail
                        Sent from my iPhone