[OT]Re: [Z_Scale] Track work - a lighter side

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
      Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9

      The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!

      Dom

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
        Dom, looks like they don’t believe in ballast....or oil, for that matter. And it looks like that caboose has seen better days, but it’s sorta cute! I hope that freight doesn’t have to be where it’s going before Memorial Day.
        Jeff N

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
          Yes Jeff, about 12 to 13 hours to run the 160-kilometer distance between Merida and Valladolid. What is funny about that railroad (which will be the basis for my future Z scale layout - I already have repainted a MTL GP35 and I have 2 undec AZL GP38 for that purpose) is that it has been regauged to standard less than 30 years ago, in 1986. Prior to that it was 3' gauge and part of what was Ferrocarriles de Yucatan, a 3' gauge railroad network, with no connection with the remaining of mexican railroads until the 50's... And although the regauging trackwork was less than 30 years old it gave the feeling that it was very old...

          But for those who appreciate caboose operations and locomotives without ditchlights in 2013, this railroad is definitly a must!

          Dom

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
            Hi Dom,

            Wonderful links to railroad and aeronautical videos. Your research on
            the Mexican branch lines of the Yucatan is fun on many levels.
            Thank you for sharing.

            Reynard
            On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:02 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

            > Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9
            >
            > The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!
            >
            > Dom

            EDITED FOR LENGTH

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
              Thanks for the kind commentZ Reynard! That's true, this mexican shortline is definitly amazing... A railroad looking like abandonned and invaded with weed... Somewhere you don't see any track, you don't even suspect there's a railroad just over there, and suddenly here comes a train from nowhere, rocking and screeching, running besides wreck buildings... I fell in love with it and my purpose is to build a Z scale layout that will depict it. I'll just have to protect my locomotives's truck underneath in order to prevent static grass from beeing swallowed by gearing....But paradoxically, as this railroad will be more challenging to build than my 1st project (the Tehachapi Pass) it will be more fun to operate as well, because dedicated to switching operations, such as any other shortline...

              Dom

              Wonderful links to railroad and aeronautical videos. Your research on
              the Mexican branch lines of the Yucatan is fun on many levels.
              Thank you for sharing.

              Reynard
              On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:02 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

              > Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9

              > The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!
              >
              > Dom

              EDITED FOR LENGTH