Re: Track work - a lighter side

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
      With faith like that (that there actually are rails hidden in the weeds) this engineer could become Pope!

      Michael

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, jonathon <jonathon.blake@...> wrote:

      > On 03/08/2013 09:43 PM, Ell wrote:
      >
      > > I guess I really shouldn't complain about the rough track sections on my Acela ride to Boston last summer. lol
      >
      > I stumbled across this one the other day.
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXXjjUWe_E
      > If I did a layout like that, the train would derail.
      >
      > jonathon

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
        On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
        Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

        > I wonder how many trains per year use this track.  Can't be too many

        Or the traffic is seasonal. The trackwork itself doesn't look too bad
        given the amount of sway and the speed of movement. Railway tracks are
        also very forgiving at low speed.

        The subsidence showing here is much more alarming 8) wouldn't want to
        take that with doublestacks 8)

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=YYHUTbyPUS0

        part of it got shutdown and some of it was only normally used for storage
        of old wagons which may explain the vegetation depending upon where the
        video was shot.

        It got bought out end of last year by Pioneer who plan to do something
        about a couple of sections still in use

        Alan
      • Kevin Brady
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
          Hi jonathon,all,

          On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM, jonathon <jonathon.blake@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On 03/08/2013 09:43 PM, Ell wrote:
          >
          > > I guess I really shouldn't complain about the rough track sections on my
          > Acela ride to Boston last summer. lol<

          Amtrak only owns about 150 miles of that track,CSX the rest.Still it the
          NY-Boston route is the only part to Amtrak make money!

          > I stumbled across this one the other day.
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXXjjUWe_E
          > If I did a layout like that, the train would derail.

          Scale weight,...

          Best,Kev

          --
          Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
            Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9

            The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!

            Dom

            On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
            Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

            > I wonder how many trains per year use this track.  Can't be too many

            Or the traffic is seasonal. The trackwork itself doesn't look too bad
            given the amount of sway and the speed of movement. Railway tracks are
            also very forgiving at low speed.

            The subsidence showing here is much more alarming 8) wouldn't want to
            take that with doublestacks 8)

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=YYHUTbyPUS0

            part of it got shutdown and some of it was only normally used for storage
            of old wagons which may explain the vegetation depending upon where the
            video was shot.

            It got bought out end of last year by Pioneer who plan to do something
            about a couple of sections still in use

            Alan

          • Jeff Newburg
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
              Dom, looks like they don’t believe in ballast....or oil, for that matter. And it looks like that caboose has seen better days, but it’s sorta cute! I hope that freight doesn’t have to be where it’s going before Memorial Day.
              Jeff N

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
                Yes Jeff, about 12 to 13 hours to run the 160-kilometer distance between Merida and Valladolid. What is funny about that railroad (which will be the basis for my future Z scale layout - I already have repainted a MTL GP35 and I have 2 undec AZL GP38 for that purpose) is that it has been regauged to standard less than 30 years ago, in 1986. Prior to that it was 3' gauge and part of what was Ferrocarriles de Yucatan, a 3' gauge railroad network, with no connection with the remaining of mexican railroads until the 50's... And although the regauging trackwork was less than 30 years old it gave the feeling that it was very old...

                But for those who appreciate caboose operations and locomotives without ditchlights in 2013, this railroad is definitly a must!

                Dom

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
                  Hi Dom,

                  Wonderful links to railroad and aeronautical videos. Your research on
                  the Mexican branch lines of the Yucatan is fun on many levels.
                  Thank you for sharing.

                  Reynard
                  On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:02 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                  > Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9
                  >
                  > The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!
                  >
                  > Dom

                  EDITED FOR LENGTH

                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
                    Thanks for the kind commentZ Reynard! That's true, this mexican shortline is definitly amazing... A railroad looking like abandonned and invaded with weed... Somewhere you don't see any track, you don't even suspect there's a railroad just over there, and suddenly here comes a train from nowhere, rocking and screeching, running besides wreck buildings... I fell in love with it and my purpose is to build a Z scale layout that will depict it. I'll just have to protect my locomotives's truck underneath in order to prevent static grass from beeing swallowed by gearing....But paradoxically, as this railroad will be more challenging to build than my 1st project (the Tehachapi Pass) it will be more fun to operate as well, because dedicated to switching operations, such as any other shortline...

                    Dom

                    Wonderful links to railroad and aeronautical videos. Your research on
                    the Mexican branch lines of the Yucatan is fun on many levels.
                    Thank you for sharing.

                    Reynard
                    On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:02 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                    > Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).
                    >
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9

                    > The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!
                    >
                    > Dom

                    EDITED FOR LENGTH