Re: [Z_Scale] Track work - a lighter side

  • jonathon
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
      On 03/08/2013 09:43 PM, Ell wrote:

      > I guess I really shouldn't complain about the rough track sections on my Acela ride to Boston last summer. lol

      I stumbled across this one the other day.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXXjjUWe_E
      If I did a layout like that, the train would derail.

      jonathon
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
        I just love those chicken crossing the track at about 3:40...
      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
          ..and crossing on the assumption that the train will never make it as far
          as they are.

          ....d

          --
          *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
            I wonder if the first locomotive is the Guinea pig.  If he makes it, the one with the loaded cars will continue.Ed S

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
              I wonder how many trains per year use this track.  Can't be too many.Ed S

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                With faith like that (that there actually are rails hidden in the weeds) this engineer could become Pope!

                Michael

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, jonathon <jonathon.blake@...> wrote:

                > On 03/08/2013 09:43 PM, Ell wrote:
                >
                > > I guess I really shouldn't complain about the rough track sections on my Acela ride to Boston last summer. lol
                >
                > I stumbled across this one the other day.
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXXjjUWe_E
                > If I did a layout like that, the train would derail.
                >
                > jonathon

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                  On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
                  Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                  > I wonder how many trains per year use this track.  Can't be too many

                  Or the traffic is seasonal. The trackwork itself doesn't look too bad
                  given the amount of sway and the speed of movement. Railway tracks are
                  also very forgiving at low speed.

                  The subsidence showing here is much more alarming 8) wouldn't want to
                  take that with doublestacks 8)

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=YYHUTbyPUS0

                  part of it got shutdown and some of it was only normally used for storage
                  of old wagons which may explain the vegetation depending upon where the
                  video was shot.

                  It got bought out end of last year by Pioneer who plan to do something
                  about a couple of sections still in use

                  Alan
                • Kevin Brady
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                    Hi jonathon,all,

                    On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM, jonathon <jonathon.blake@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > On 03/08/2013 09:43 PM, Ell wrote:
                    >
                    > > I guess I really shouldn't complain about the rough track sections on my
                    > Acela ride to Boston last summer. lol<

                    Amtrak only owns about 150 miles of that track,CSX the rest.Still it the
                    NY-Boston route is the only part to Amtrak make money!

                    > I stumbled across this one the other day.
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXXjjUWe_E
                    > If I did a layout like that, the train would derail.

                    Scale weight,...

                    Best,Kev

                    --
                    Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
                      Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9

                      The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!

                      Dom

                      On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
                      Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                      > I wonder how many trains per year use this track.  Can't be too many

                      Or the traffic is seasonal. The trackwork itself doesn't look too bad
                      given the amount of sway and the speed of movement. Railway tracks are
                      also very forgiving at low speed.

                      The subsidence showing here is much more alarming 8) wouldn't want to
                      take that with doublestacks 8)

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=YYHUTbyPUS0

                      part of it got shutdown and some of it was only normally used for storage
                      of old wagons which may explain the vegetation depending upon where the
                      video was shot.

                      It got bought out end of last year by Pioneer who plan to do something
                      about a couple of sections still in use

                      Alan

                    • Jeff Newburg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
                        Dom, looks like they don’t believe in ballast....or oil, for that matter. And it looks like that caboose has seen better days, but it’s sorta cute! I hope that freight doesn’t have to be where it’s going before Memorial Day.
                        Jeff N

                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
                          Yes Jeff, about 12 to 13 hours to run the 160-kilometer distance between Merida and Valladolid. What is funny about that railroad (which will be the basis for my future Z scale layout - I already have repainted a MTL GP35 and I have 2 undec AZL GP38 for that purpose) is that it has been regauged to standard less than 30 years ago, in 1986. Prior to that it was 3' gauge and part of what was Ferrocarriles de Yucatan, a 3' gauge railroad network, with no connection with the remaining of mexican railroads until the 50's... And although the regauging trackwork was less than 30 years old it gave the feeling that it was very old...

                          But for those who appreciate caboose operations and locomotives without ditchlights in 2013, this railroad is definitly a must!

                          Dom

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
                            Hi Dom,

                            Wonderful links to railroad and aeronautical videos. Your research on
                            the Mexican branch lines of the Yucatan is fun on many levels.
                            Thank you for sharing.

                            Reynard
                            On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:02 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                            > Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).
                            >
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9
                            >
                            > The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!
                            >
                            > Dom

                            EDITED FOR LENGTH

                          • de Champeaux Dominique
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 12, 2013
                              Thanks for the kind commentZ Reynard! That's true, this mexican shortline is definitly amazing... A railroad looking like abandonned and invaded with weed... Somewhere you don't see any track, you don't even suspect there's a railroad just over there, and suddenly here comes a train from nowhere, rocking and screeching, running besides wreck buildings... I fell in love with it and my purpose is to build a Z scale layout that will depict it. I'll just have to protect my locomotives's truck underneath in order to prevent static grass from beeing swallowed by gearing....But paradoxically, as this railroad will be more challenging to build than my 1st project (the Tehachapi Pass) it will be more fun to operate as well, because dedicated to switching operations, such as any other shortline...

                              Dom

                              Wonderful links to railroad and aeronautical videos. Your research on
                              the Mexican branch lines of the Yucatan is fun on many levels.
                              Thank you for sharing.

                              Reynard
                              On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:02 PM, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                              > Some 5 years ago I shot the video below, in Yucatan, Mexico. I was lucky enough to hold the railroad dispatcher's phone number, and lucky enough to manage to speak a few words of spanish. Provided there is only one to two trains a week each way on this railroad, every time I spent a few days in Cancun I gave the dispatcher a phone call, and very kindly he told me the next scedules... Then I just had to rent a car and to join the train at known spots, provided I knew its time of departure from Merida and its average speed (~10 mph).
                              >
                              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXN6uGfTDE&list=UU7wCE2Fk3jnlH_dVBdZt-xw&index=9

                              > The train looks like tilted to its right hand side because I put my digital camera on the automobile's roof, that wasn't fully flat... But the screetch of wheels and the twisting cars give an idea of track condition!
                              >
                              > Dom

                              EDITED FOR LENGTH