Munchkins up close.

  • David George
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8 1:45 PM
      I have two "opposite end" show stories.

      1. Early on in my train show career I was bending down alongside a 4 year old Munchkin as we were watching the trains come by on my modules. My head was at his level ,, with his MOM on the other side of him. The train came across in front of us and it stopped. I reached in to touch the loco when my shoulder was grabbed forcefully as any 4 year old boy could do. I turned to be 6 inches away,, face to face ,, with him .He had a look of pure horror on his face as he said to me ,,,"DON'T TOUCH !".
       Now there was a boy who was schooled well by his MOM,,and he was protecting me from HIS MOM. I treasure that moment as did the MOM.

      2. To balance the above. A 4 year old Munchkin girl reached into my rail yard module and grabbed a few cars and tossed them down the module when I displayed the "G~B&CC" at the Bush Presidential Library. I said "Whoa,,Don't Do That !" The mother ,,who made no move to pull her daughter away,,said "She is only 4 years old".
      I said to her,,,," BUT YOU ARE NOT ". I then asked her to leave my layout. This was before I even had my little rope barriers so there was no protection except parental common sense.
      However,,I,,as will all of my crew,, always put up with the occasional rough handling and bumping so that every one can " Get your noses as close as you can to the layout,,BUT,, No Fingers". That has been my mantra since day one.
      Cordially,
      Mister Dave

    • Jay Greer
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8 4:08 PM
        Mister Dave,
        I like your message. In fact,
        it is the winner of the day for me!
        Jay Greer
        Trax Inc.
        On Mar 8, 2013, at 1:45 PM, David George wrote:

        > I have two "opposite end" show stories.
        >
        > 1. Early on in my train show career I was bending down alongside a 4 year old Munchkin as we were watching the trains come by on my modules. My head was at his level ,, with his MOM on the other side of him. The train came across in front of us and it stopped. I reached in to touch the loco when my shoulder was grabbed forcefully as any 4 year old boy could do. I turned to be 6 inches away,, face to face ,, with him .He had a look of pure horror on his face as he said to me ,,,"DON'T TOUCH !".
        > Now there was a boy who was schooled well by his MOM,,and he was protecting me from HIS MOM. I treasure that moment as did the MOM.
        >
        > 2. To balance the above. A 4 year old Munchkin girl reached into my rail yard module and grabbed a few cars and tossed them down the module when I displayed the "G~B&CC" at the Bush Presidential Library. I said "Whoa,,Don't Do That !" The mother ,,who made no move to pull her daughter away,,said "She is only 4 years old".
        > I said to her,,,," BUT YOU ARE NOT ". I then asked her to leave my layout. This was before I even had my little rope barriers so there was no protection except parental common sense.
        > However,,I,,as will all of my crew,, always put up with the occasional rough handling and bumping so that every one can " Get your noses as close as you can to the layout,,BUT,, No Fingers". That has been my mantra since day one.
        > Cordially,
        > Mister Dave

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8 4:24 PM
          Tar and feathers would have been too good for that idiot mom who claimed age
          as an excuse. You must have a level head Dave. I might have gone to jail,
          but as I sat forlornly in my cell, I would have had a small smile on my face

          For all you serious types out there........Dave knows I am just kidding.
          Loren

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9 6:54 AM
            hello  Mr. George we call it children control we found running circle gauge with 2 emt from Chech republic german metal  beetles works well other times we set up lego keep kiddies busy. hey for got ask hows misses Judi??  oh  Dave we got the T gauge run now down to 15mph with a trick we also running the T  gauge auto rack  2decks high with 10 cars will bring georiga tom and gayle

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9 11:48 AM
              Hi all,
              At the 2012 Big E (Amherst) train show in one of the buildings
              there was set a 'play-pen' area of Brio trains which the munchkins could
              handle to the hearts delight.Which was located near the Lego train layout.
              I know not every show can have these but I thought it was brilliant idea.
              I will refrain from the less than PC statements! :-)

              Dr Dirt.

              On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM, thomas cipelle <thomasc600@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > hello Mr. George we call it children control we found running circle
              > gauge with 2 emt from Chech republic german metal beetles works well other
              > times we set up lego keep kiddies busy. hey for got ask hows misses Judi??
              > oh Dave we got the T gauge run now down to 15mph with a trick we also
              > running the T gauge auto rack 2decks high with 10 cars will bring georiga
              > tom and gayle

              Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service