Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Correcting Parents - wasTable top modules...

  • Nathan Leon
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
      Everyone has a lot of hours invested in their projects and some like to show them to the public.   Some do it out of pride, some as a service to encourage new members to the hobby, and some for fun.   Can anyone really do enough damage to your module that you couldn't fix it?   It's not worth the bad PR to appear grumpy when we are ambassadors to the hobby.

      Damage is part of railroading anyways.  So let the anger go.  My grandkids destroy stuff, I fix it.  They will always remember the fun and their happy grandpa.  Behind the scenes I'm busy keeping the railroad running.  The same is true with the public.

      My 2 cents.

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
        Nathan

        I'm not sure if you have had a layout at a show -- BUT
        Please don't touch
        Do NOT touch
        Keep your hands off
        Don't you understand English
        Dang it, do we have to call the cops
        ....and these comments are addressed to the adults -- this is what we are
        talking about. Little kids point, and sometimes they overshoot -- and you
        get a few cars dumped over. It is a pain to set them back up in a working
        show, but that is not our main complaint. It is the adult who thinks they
        are a hot ticket and can do anything they want that cause 95% of the
        problems. Adults who have a large liquid soppy drink while holding the cup
        at arms length and over the layout. Wet liquid dumped on the layout is not
        just causing a little problem. They cause serious damage -- and as soon as
        it happens they take off. I have never seen one ask if they can pay for
        their EXPENSIVE damage. Believe me that is not what the exhibitioner is
        expecting.

        ...don

        --
        *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
          Nathan,

          I see your point, but that doesn't make the pain of suffering damage to our
          layouts any less palatable. Any damage is a step backward for the modeler.
          Will accidents happen?......you bet.

          We as module exhibitors need to be vigilant, diplomatic, kind, firm,
          informative, and friendly as you allude to. The only grumpy folks I have
          ever observed are the old guys in larger scales who like to set their trains
          a running and then sit back in the inner circle and yak while ignoring the
          obvious opportunity to share and grow the hobby.

          You are so right when you call us ambassadors. Some are good, some are
          great, and some are, well, maybe they shouldn't have shown up if it hurts
          that much to smile and talk to strangers.

          I think it safe to say we are all on the same page about being concerned
          about damage to our trains, good PR, and enjoying the hobby with all
          concerned.

          With that said, I do have to smile a bit when I consider Mark's solution of
          tying the adult to the tracks......
          There is a certain poetic justice to the idea. Of course, the clean up
          would be a bummer.

          One more thing regarding your comment, 'can anyone really do enough damage
          to your module that you couldn't fix it?'

          Probably not, but have you ever tried to repair a piece of track with
          soldered rail joiner that is an inch or two from a tunnel portal? I'd
          rather get a notice in the mail that I'd been drafted. At least I'd get a
          chuckle when I told the draft board I was 65 with failing eye sight and
          tremors :o)

          Happy modeling to all us big boys and our toys.

          Loren

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
            "I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
            last guy was standing when he touched the module."..."

            Perhaps a burnt dummy with a "High Voltage" sign near by......
            DEWEY

            _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`