Re: Correcting Parents - wasTable top modules...

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
      Considering this is a railroading forum why not just tie the parent to the tracks and ..... Those 1 foot gauge trains with the faces on them look like they could teach a parent a lesson too.

      Mark

      > Don,
      >
      > It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
      > headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.
      >
      > Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
      > can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
      > is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
      > directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
      > parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
      > to touch.
      >

      > There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
      > Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
      > tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
      > hopefully.
      >
      > I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
      > times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
      > moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.
      >
      > Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
      > wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
      > threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
      > it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?
      >
      > On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
      > touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
      > Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
      > they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
      > attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
      > especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
      > child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
      > a positive manner.
      >
      > I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
      > hold and examine.
      >
      > There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
      > moments we remember for a life time.
      >
      > Loren
      >
      > PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
      > went for Judy's gun"

    • Nathan Leon
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
        Everyone has a lot of hours invested in their projects and some like to show them to the public.   Some do it out of pride, some as a service to encourage new members to the hobby, and some for fun.   Can anyone really do enough damage to your module that you couldn't fix it?   It's not worth the bad PR to appear grumpy when we are ambassadors to the hobby.

        Damage is part of railroading anyways.  So let the anger go.  My grandkids destroy stuff, I fix it.  They will always remember the fun and their happy grandpa.  Behind the scenes I'm busy keeping the railroad running.  The same is true with the public.

        My 2 cents.

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
          Nathan

          I'm not sure if you have had a layout at a show -- BUT
          Please don't touch
          Do NOT touch
          Keep your hands off
          Don't you understand English
          Dang it, do we have to call the cops
          ....and these comments are addressed to the adults -- this is what we are
          talking about. Little kids point, and sometimes they overshoot -- and you
          get a few cars dumped over. It is a pain to set them back up in a working
          show, but that is not our main complaint. It is the adult who thinks they
          are a hot ticket and can do anything they want that cause 95% of the
          problems. Adults who have a large liquid soppy drink while holding the cup
          at arms length and over the layout. Wet liquid dumped on the layout is not
          just causing a little problem. They cause serious damage -- and as soon as
          it happens they take off. I have never seen one ask if they can pay for
          their EXPENSIVE damage. Believe me that is not what the exhibitioner is
          expecting.

          ...don

          --
          *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
            Nathan,

            I see your point, but that doesn't make the pain of suffering damage to our
            layouts any less palatable. Any damage is a step backward for the modeler.
            Will accidents happen?......you bet.

            We as module exhibitors need to be vigilant, diplomatic, kind, firm,
            informative, and friendly as you allude to. The only grumpy folks I have
            ever observed are the old guys in larger scales who like to set their trains
            a running and then sit back in the inner circle and yak while ignoring the
            obvious opportunity to share and grow the hobby.

            You are so right when you call us ambassadors. Some are good, some are
            great, and some are, well, maybe they shouldn't have shown up if it hurts
            that much to smile and talk to strangers.

            I think it safe to say we are all on the same page about being concerned
            about damage to our trains, good PR, and enjoying the hobby with all
            concerned.

            With that said, I do have to smile a bit when I consider Mark's solution of
            tying the adult to the tracks......
            There is a certain poetic justice to the idea. Of course, the clean up
            would be a bummer.

            One more thing regarding your comment, 'can anyone really do enough damage
            to your module that you couldn't fix it?'

            Probably not, but have you ever tried to repair a piece of track with
            soldered rail joiner that is an inch or two from a tunnel portal? I'd
            rather get a notice in the mail that I'd been drafted. At least I'd get a
            chuckle when I told the draft board I was 65 with failing eye sight and
            tremors :o)

            Happy modeling to all us big boys and our toys.

            Loren

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
              "I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
              last guy was standing when he touched the module."..."

              Perhaps a burnt dummy with a "High Voltage" sign near by......
              DEWEY

              _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`