Re: [Z_Scale] Correcting Parents - wasTable top modules...

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8 7:52 AM
      That does NOT work in LA. Ask Garth or Mr Dave or Mrs Dave. We had an
      ADULT screw up a kids toy and her argument was since it is out for the
      public to see it is O.K. for the public to touch. I thought Mrs Dave George,
      who is a licensed gun totter, was going to try it out.

      ...d

      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ken <kenarm322@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not
      > to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for
      > example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some
      > such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the
      > experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.
      >
      > Ken Armstrong
      > Irmo, SC
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
      > >
      > > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal
      > consequences.
      > > DEWEY

    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8 8:29 AM
        Here's one for you Garth.

        I am so tempted to do like James Garner did in the movie, "Support your
        local Sheriff". The jail cell was not quite completed due to the fact the
        jail door had not been installed yet.

        The sheriff took red paint and dribbled it on the floor outside the cell
        before arresting Bruce Dern, the bad guy.

        The sheriff told Bruce to get in the cell and Bruce asked "How do you plan
        to keep me in this cell?" Then he noticed the red paint and asked what the
        red color was, James said casually......"Oh that was where the last guy
        tried to escape" Bruce jumped inside the cell enclosure quickly. One funny
        moment in movie history.

        I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
        last guy was standing when he touched the module."

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8 8:58 AM
          Don,

          It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
          headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.

          Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
          can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
          is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
          directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
          parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
          to touch.

          There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
          Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
          tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
          hopefully.

          I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
          times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
          moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.

          Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
          wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
          threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
          it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?

          On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
          touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
          Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
          they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
          attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
          especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
          child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
          a positive manner.

          I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
          hold and examine.

          There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
          moments we remember for a life time.

          Loren

          PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
          went for Judy's gun"

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8 9:31 AM
            My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
            want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.

            I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
            symbol.  One of my friends has a sign.It reads

            If you would like to handle my trains.
            Please not the Handleing Fee.
            Engine $125.00
            Freight cars $45.00
            Caboose $35.00
            I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
            Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
            I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
            problem. I know I have several stories.

            Perry

          • Thomas Scheuzger
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 8 10:04 AM
              I like the sign at my veterinarian's office:

              Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Puppy.

              Made me look twice...

              Tom

              On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Perry A Pollino wrote:

              > My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
              > want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.
              >
              > I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
              > symbol. One of my friends has a sign.It reads
              >
              > If you would like to handle my trains.
              > Please not the Handleing Fee.
              > Engine $125.00
              > Freight cars $45.00
              > Caboose $35.00
              > I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
              > Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
              > I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
              > problem. I know I have several stories.
              >
              > Perry

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 8 10:11 AM
                Now that is worth spending money on and making a nice big vinyl sign that
                goes right beneath your group sign.

                Two extra 'atta boys' for you Tom.

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8 11:05 AM
                  Considering this is a railroading forum why not just tie the parent to the tracks and ..... Those 1 foot gauge trains with the faces on them look like they could teach a parent a lesson too.

                  Mark

                  > Don,
                  >
                  > It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
                  > headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.
                  >
                  > Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
                  > can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
                  > is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
                  > directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
                  > parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
                  > to touch.
                  >

                  > There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
                  > Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
                  > tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
                  > hopefully.
                  >
                  > I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
                  > times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
                  > moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.
                  >
                  > Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
                  > wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
                  > threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
                  > it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?
                  >
                  > On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
                  > touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
                  > Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
                  > they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
                  > attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
                  > especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
                  > child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
                  > a positive manner.
                  >
                  > I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
                  > hold and examine.
                  >
                  > There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
                  > moments we remember for a life time.
                  >
                  > Loren
                  >
                  > PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
                  > went for Judy's gun"

                • Nathan Leon
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8 11:24 AM
                    Everyone has a lot of hours invested in their projects and some like to show them to the public.   Some do it out of pride, some as a service to encourage new members to the hobby, and some for fun.   Can anyone really do enough damage to your module that you couldn't fix it?   It's not worth the bad PR to appear grumpy when we are ambassadors to the hobby.

                    Damage is part of railroading anyways.  So let the anger go.  My grandkids destroy stuff, I fix it.  They will always remember the fun and their happy grandpa.  Behind the scenes I'm busy keeping the railroad running.  The same is true with the public.

                    My 2 cents.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8 11:53 AM
                      Nathan

                      I'm not sure if you have had a layout at a show -- BUT
                      Please don't touch
                      Do NOT touch
                      Keep your hands off
                      Don't you understand English
                      Dang it, do we have to call the cops
                      ....and these comments are addressed to the adults -- this is what we are
                      talking about. Little kids point, and sometimes they overshoot -- and you
                      get a few cars dumped over. It is a pain to set them back up in a working
                      show, but that is not our main complaint. It is the adult who thinks they
                      are a hot ticket and can do anything they want that cause 95% of the
                      problems. Adults who have a large liquid soppy drink while holding the cup
                      at arms length and over the layout. Wet liquid dumped on the layout is not
                      just causing a little problem. They cause serious damage -- and as soon as
                      it happens they take off. I have never seen one ask if they can pay for
                      their EXPENSIVE damage. Believe me that is not what the exhibitioner is
                      expecting.

                      ...don

                      --
                      *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8 12:21 PM
                        Nathan,

                        I see your point, but that doesn't make the pain of suffering damage to our
                        layouts any less palatable. Any damage is a step backward for the modeler.
                        Will accidents happen?......you bet.

                        We as module exhibitors need to be vigilant, diplomatic, kind, firm,
                        informative, and friendly as you allude to. The only grumpy folks I have
                        ever observed are the old guys in larger scales who like to set their trains
                        a running and then sit back in the inner circle and yak while ignoring the
                        obvious opportunity to share and grow the hobby.

                        You are so right when you call us ambassadors. Some are good, some are
                        great, and some are, well, maybe they shouldn't have shown up if it hurts
                        that much to smile and talk to strangers.

                        I think it safe to say we are all on the same page about being concerned
                        about damage to our trains, good PR, and enjoying the hobby with all
                        concerned.

                        With that said, I do have to smile a bit when I consider Mark's solution of
                        tying the adult to the tracks......
                        There is a certain poetic justice to the idea. Of course, the clean up
                        would be a bummer.

                        One more thing regarding your comment, 'can anyone really do enough damage
                        to your module that you couldn't fix it?'

                        Probably not, but have you ever tried to repair a piece of track with
                        soldered rail joiner that is an inch or two from a tunnel portal? I'd
                        rather get a notice in the mail that I'd been drafted. At least I'd get a
                        chuckle when I told the draft board I was 65 with failing eye sight and
                        tremors :o)

                        Happy modeling to all us big boys and our toys.

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 9 7:56 AM
                          "I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
                          last guy was standing when he touched the module."..."

                          Perhaps a burnt dummy with a "High Voltage" sign near by......
                          DEWEY

                          _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`