Correcting Parents - wasTable top modules...

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
      I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.

      Ken Armstrong
      Irmo, SC

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

      > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
      >
      > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal consequences.
      > DEWEY

    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
        That does NOT work in LA. Ask Garth or Mr Dave or Mrs Dave. We had an
        ADULT screw up a kids toy and her argument was since it is out for the
        public to see it is O.K. for the public to touch. I thought Mrs Dave George,
        who is a licensed gun totter, was going to try it out.

        ...d

        On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ken <kenarm322@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not
        > to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for
        > example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some
        > such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the
        > experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.
        >
        > Ken Armstrong
        > Irmo, SC
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
        > >
        > > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal
        > consequences.
        > > DEWEY

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
          Here's one for you Garth.

          I am so tempted to do like James Garner did in the movie, "Support your
          local Sheriff". The jail cell was not quite completed due to the fact the
          jail door had not been installed yet.

          The sheriff took red paint and dribbled it on the floor outside the cell
          before arresting Bruce Dern, the bad guy.

          The sheriff told Bruce to get in the cell and Bruce asked "How do you plan
          to keep me in this cell?" Then he noticed the red paint and asked what the
          red color was, James said casually......"Oh that was where the last guy
          tried to escape" Bruce jumped inside the cell enclosure quickly. One funny
          moment in movie history.

          I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
          last guy was standing when he touched the module."

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
            Don,

            It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
            headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.

            Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
            can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
            is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
            directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
            parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
            to touch.

            There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
            Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
            tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
            hopefully.

            I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
            times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
            moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.

            Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
            wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
            threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
            it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?

            On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
            touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
            Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
            they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
            attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
            especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
            child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
            a positive manner.

            I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
            hold and examine.

            There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
            moments we remember for a life time.

            Loren

            PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
            went for Judy's gun"

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
              My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
              want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.

              I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
              symbol.  One of my friends has a sign.It reads

              If you would like to handle my trains.
              Please not the Handleing Fee.
              Engine $125.00
              Freight cars $45.00
              Caboose $35.00
              I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
              Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
              I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
              problem. I know I have several stories.

              Perry

            • Thomas Scheuzger
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                I like the sign at my veterinarian's office:

                Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Puppy.

                Made me look twice...

                Tom

                On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Perry A Pollino wrote:

                > My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
                > want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.
                >
                > I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
                > symbol. One of my friends has a sign.It reads
                >
                > If you would like to handle my trains.
                > Please not the Handleing Fee.
                > Engine $125.00
                > Freight cars $45.00
                > Caboose $35.00
                > I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
                > Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
                > I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
                > problem. I know I have several stories.
                >
                > Perry

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Now that is worth spending money on and making a nice big vinyl sign that
                  goes right beneath your group sign.

                  Two extra 'atta boys' for you Tom.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Considering this is a railroading forum why not just tie the parent to the tracks and ..... Those 1 foot gauge trains with the faces on them look like they could teach a parent a lesson too.

                    Mark

                    > Don,
                    >
                    > It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
                    > headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.
                    >
                    > Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
                    > can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
                    > is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
                    > directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
                    > parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
                    > to touch.
                    >

                    > There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
                    > Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
                    > tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
                    > hopefully.
                    >
                    > I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
                    > times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
                    > moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.
                    >
                    > Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
                    > wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
                    > threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
                    > it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?
                    >
                    > On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
                    > touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
                    > Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
                    > they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
                    > attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
                    > especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
                    > child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
                    > a positive manner.
                    >
                    > I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
                    > hold and examine.
                    >
                    > There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
                    > moments we remember for a life time.
                    >
                    > Loren
                    >
                    > PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
                    > went for Judy's gun"

                  • Nathan Leon
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Everyone has a lot of hours invested in their projects and some like to show them to the public.   Some do it out of pride, some as a service to encourage new members to the hobby, and some for fun.   Can anyone really do enough damage to your module that you couldn't fix it?   It's not worth the bad PR to appear grumpy when we are ambassadors to the hobby.

                      Damage is part of railroading anyways.  So let the anger go.  My grandkids destroy stuff, I fix it.  They will always remember the fun and their happy grandpa.  Behind the scenes I'm busy keeping the railroad running.  The same is true with the public.

                      My 2 cents.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Nathan

                        I'm not sure if you have had a layout at a show -- BUT
                        Please don't touch
                        Do NOT touch
                        Keep your hands off
                        Don't you understand English
                        Dang it, do we have to call the cops
                        ....and these comments are addressed to the adults -- this is what we are
                        talking about. Little kids point, and sometimes they overshoot -- and you
                        get a few cars dumped over. It is a pain to set them back up in a working
                        show, but that is not our main complaint. It is the adult who thinks they
                        are a hot ticket and can do anything they want that cause 95% of the
                        problems. Adults who have a large liquid soppy drink while holding the cup
                        at arms length and over the layout. Wet liquid dumped on the layout is not
                        just causing a little problem. They cause serious damage -- and as soon as
                        it happens they take off. I have never seen one ask if they can pay for
                        their EXPENSIVE damage. Believe me that is not what the exhibitioner is
                        expecting.

                        ...don

                        --
                        *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                          Nathan,

                          I see your point, but that doesn't make the pain of suffering damage to our
                          layouts any less palatable. Any damage is a step backward for the modeler.
                          Will accidents happen?......you bet.

                          We as module exhibitors need to be vigilant, diplomatic, kind, firm,
                          informative, and friendly as you allude to. The only grumpy folks I have
                          ever observed are the old guys in larger scales who like to set their trains
                          a running and then sit back in the inner circle and yak while ignoring the
                          obvious opportunity to share and grow the hobby.

                          You are so right when you call us ambassadors. Some are good, some are
                          great, and some are, well, maybe they shouldn't have shown up if it hurts
                          that much to smile and talk to strangers.

                          I think it safe to say we are all on the same page about being concerned
                          about damage to our trains, good PR, and enjoying the hobby with all
                          concerned.

                          With that said, I do have to smile a bit when I consider Mark's solution of
                          tying the adult to the tracks......
                          There is a certain poetic justice to the idea. Of course, the clean up
                          would be a bummer.

                          One more thing regarding your comment, 'can anyone really do enough damage
                          to your module that you couldn't fix it?'

                          Probably not, but have you ever tried to repair a piece of track with
                          soldered rail joiner that is an inch or two from a tunnel portal? I'd
                          rather get a notice in the mail that I'd been drafted. At least I'd get a
                          chuckle when I told the draft board I was 65 with failing eye sight and
                          tremors :o)

                          Happy modeling to all us big boys and our toys.

                          Loren

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                            "I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
                            last guy was standing when he touched the module."..."

                            Perhaps a burnt dummy with a "High Voltage" sign near by......
                            DEWEY

                            _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`