Re: [Z_Scale] .Table top modules...

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
      Dewey,

      Years ago when Bill Kronenberger was still alive he told me of one lady who
      picked up a structure off his layout surface and said to her child....."see,
      it isn't glued down" Then she placed the building back on the layout in a
      different position than how it faced originally and walked off. Bill came
      close to going to prison that day for what he wanted to do to that lady. He
      told me he was speechless.

      I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. It is amazing
      some kids grow up to be decent citizens after the way they are not raised.

      The subject of rope barriers, signs, Plexiglass protective guards, even
      cattle prods, to control the masses has been discussed several times before.
      I guess the problem of touching and jarring will always be with display
      folks.

      It's the nature of the business, again...(sigh.)

      Loren

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
        A number of years back I was exhibiting with an HO scale modular group. One kid about 6 years old kept grabbing things. He even reached over a plexiglass barrier that was about 16 inches high. His grandfather (I assumed) stood behind him all the time and just let the kid do what he wanted. That venue was the only time I have had something stolen from a module. I refused to exhibit there anymore.

        I exhibit a 2 ft x 4 ft z-scale layout with a 16 in high hinged plexiglass sheet that goes around 3 sides. I set it up on a 30 in high table and have had very few problems. Most parents seem to do a pretty good job watching their little ones, but indeed the little ones can be quick.

        Ell

        > Dewey,
        >
        > Years ago when Bill Kronenberger was still alive he told me of one lady who
        > picked up a structure off his layout surface and said to her child....."see,
        > it isn't glued down" Then she placed the building back on the layout in a
        > different position than how it faced originally and walked off. Bill came
        > close to going to prison that day for what he wanted to do to that lady. He
        > told me he was speechless.
        >
        > I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. It is amazing
        > some kids grow up to be decent citizens after the way they are not raised.
        >
        > The subject of rope barriers, signs, Plexiglass protective guards, even
        > cattle prods, to control the masses has been discussed several times before.
        > I guess the problem of touching and jarring will always be with display
        > folks.
        >
        > It's the nature of the business, again...(sigh.)
        >
        > Loren

      • FT. Dewey
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 7, 2013
          "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "

          I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal consequences.
          DEWEY

          o _____ || |
          .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
          _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

          ________________________________

          "I say slap the parent and train the child."

          And the parent would probably sue you for assault and battery !! (sigh.)

          DEWEY

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
            I have a piece of sign plastic in black and white it could be any colour and it says "KEEP YOUR COTTON PICKING HANDS OFF".

            The other sign I have seen was done like a traffic prohibitive sign a red circle with a diagonal slash across it in inside the circle was a hand with a rail care held between thumb and fingers and it was hung on the skyboard and even the kids got that one and it created conversation between owner of display and the viewers.

            regards Garth

            I produces some interesting comments along the way but it does work.

            > Dewey,
            >
            > Years ago when Bill Kronenberger was still alive he told me of one lady who
            > picked up a structure off his layout surface and said to her child....."see,
            > it isn't glued down" Then she placed the building back on the layout in a
            > different position than how it faced originally and walked off. Bill came
            > close to going to prison that day for what he wanted to do to that lady. He
            > told me he was speechless.
            >
            > I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. It is amazing
            > some kids grow up to be decent citizens after the way they are not raised.
            >
            > The subject of rope barriers, signs, Plexiglass protective guards, even
            > cattle prods, to control the masses has been discussed several times before.
            > I guess the problem of touching and jarring will always be with display
            > folks.
            >
            > It's the nature of the business, again...(sigh.)
            >
            > Loren

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
              I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.

              Ken Armstrong
              Irmo, SC

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

              > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
              >
              > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal consequences.
              > DEWEY

            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                That does NOT work in LA. Ask Garth or Mr Dave or Mrs Dave. We had an
                ADULT screw up a kids toy and her argument was since it is out for the
                public to see it is O.K. for the public to touch. I thought Mrs Dave George,
                who is a licensed gun totter, was going to try it out.

                ...d

                On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ken <kenarm322@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not
                > to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for
                > example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some
                > such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the
                > experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.
                >
                > Ken Armstrong
                > Irmo, SC
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
                > >
                > > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal
                > consequences.
                > > DEWEY

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Here's one for you Garth.

                  I am so tempted to do like James Garner did in the movie, "Support your
                  local Sheriff". The jail cell was not quite completed due to the fact the
                  jail door had not been installed yet.

                  The sheriff took red paint and dribbled it on the floor outside the cell
                  before arresting Bruce Dern, the bad guy.

                  The sheriff told Bruce to get in the cell and Bruce asked "How do you plan
                  to keep me in this cell?" Then he noticed the red paint and asked what the
                  red color was, James said casually......"Oh that was where the last guy
                  tried to escape" Bruce jumped inside the cell enclosure quickly. One funny
                  moment in movie history.

                  I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
                  last guy was standing when he touched the module."

                  I have a piece of sign plastic in black and white it could be any colour and
                  it says "KEEP YOUR COTTON PICKING HANDS OFF".

                  The other sign I have seen was done like a traffic prohibitive sign a red
                  circle with a diagonal slash across it in inside the circle was a hand with
                  a rail care held between thumb and fingers and it was hung on the skyboard
                  and even the kids got that one and it created conversation between owner of
                  display and the viewers.

                  regards Garth

                  It produces some interesting comments along the way but it does work.

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Don,

                    It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
                    headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.

                    Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
                    can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
                    is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
                    directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
                    parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
                    to touch.

                    There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
                    Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
                    tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
                    hopefully.

                    I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
                    times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
                    moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.

                    Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
                    wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
                    threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
                    it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?

                    On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
                    touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
                    Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
                    they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
                    attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
                    especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
                    child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
                    a positive manner.

                    I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
                    hold and examine.

                    There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
                    moments we remember for a life time.

                    Loren

                    PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
                    went for Judy's gun"

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                      My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
                      want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.

                      I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
                      symbol.  One of my friends has a sign.It reads

                      If you would like to handle my trains.
                      Please not the Handleing Fee.
                      Engine $125.00
                      Freight cars $45.00
                      Caboose $35.00
                      I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
                      Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
                      I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
                      problem. I know I have several stories.

                      Perry

                    • Thomas Scheuzger
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                        I like the sign at my veterinarian's office:

                        Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Puppy.

                        Made me look twice...

                        Tom

                        On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Perry A Pollino wrote:

                        > My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
                        > want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.
                        >
                        > I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
                        > symbol. One of my friends has a sign.It reads
                        >
                        > If you would like to handle my trains.
                        > Please not the Handleing Fee.
                        > Engine $125.00
                        > Freight cars $45.00
                        > Caboose $35.00
                        > I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
                        > Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
                        > I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
                        > problem. I know I have several stories.
                        >
                        > Perry

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                          Now that is worth spending money on and making a nice big vinyl sign that
                          goes right beneath your group sign.

                          Two extra 'atta boys' for you Tom.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                            Considering this is a railroading forum why not just tie the parent to the tracks and ..... Those 1 foot gauge trains with the faces on them look like they could teach a parent a lesson too.

                            Mark

                            > Don,
                            >
                            > It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
                            > headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.
                            >
                            > Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
                            > can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
                            > is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
                            > directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
                            > parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
                            > to touch.
                            >

                            > There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
                            > Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
                            > tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
                            > hopefully.
                            >
                            > I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
                            > times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
                            > moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.
                            >
                            > Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
                            > wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
                            > threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
                            > it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?
                            >
                            > On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
                            > touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
                            > Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
                            > they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
                            > attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
                            > especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
                            > child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
                            > a positive manner.
                            >
                            > I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
                            > hold and examine.
                            >
                            > There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
                            > moments we remember for a life time.
                            >
                            > Loren
                            >
                            > PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
                            > went for Judy's gun"

                          • Nathan Leon
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                              Everyone has a lot of hours invested in their projects and some like to show them to the public.   Some do it out of pride, some as a service to encourage new members to the hobby, and some for fun.   Can anyone really do enough damage to your module that you couldn't fix it?   It's not worth the bad PR to appear grumpy when we are ambassadors to the hobby.

                              Damage is part of railroading anyways.  So let the anger go.  My grandkids destroy stuff, I fix it.  They will always remember the fun and their happy grandpa.  Behind the scenes I'm busy keeping the railroad running.  The same is true with the public.

                              My 2 cents.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                Nathan

                                I'm not sure if you have had a layout at a show -- BUT
                                Please don't touch
                                Do NOT touch
                                Keep your hands off
                                Don't you understand English
                                Dang it, do we have to call the cops
                                ....and these comments are addressed to the adults -- this is what we are
                                talking about. Little kids point, and sometimes they overshoot -- and you
                                get a few cars dumped over. It is a pain to set them back up in a working
                                show, but that is not our main complaint. It is the adult who thinks they
                                are a hot ticket and can do anything they want that cause 95% of the
                                problems. Adults who have a large liquid soppy drink while holding the cup
                                at arms length and over the layout. Wet liquid dumped on the layout is not
                                just causing a little problem. They cause serious damage -- and as soon as
                                it happens they take off. I have never seen one ask if they can pay for
                                their EXPENSIVE damage. Believe me that is not what the exhibitioner is
                                expecting.

                                ...don

                                --
                                *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                              • Loren Snyder
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                  Nathan,

                                  I see your point, but that doesn't make the pain of suffering damage to our
                                  layouts any less palatable. Any damage is a step backward for the modeler.
                                  Will accidents happen?......you bet.

                                  We as module exhibitors need to be vigilant, diplomatic, kind, firm,
                                  informative, and friendly as you allude to. The only grumpy folks I have
                                  ever observed are the old guys in larger scales who like to set their trains
                                  a running and then sit back in the inner circle and yak while ignoring the
                                  obvious opportunity to share and grow the hobby.

                                  You are so right when you call us ambassadors. Some are good, some are
                                  great, and some are, well, maybe they shouldn't have shown up if it hurts
                                  that much to smile and talk to strangers.

                                  I think it safe to say we are all on the same page about being concerned
                                  about damage to our trains, good PR, and enjoying the hobby with all
                                  concerned.

                                  With that said, I do have to smile a bit when I consider Mark's solution of
                                  tying the adult to the tracks......
                                  There is a certain poetic justice to the idea. Of course, the clean up
                                  would be a bummer.

                                  One more thing regarding your comment, 'can anyone really do enough damage
                                  to your module that you couldn't fix it?'

                                  Probably not, but have you ever tried to repair a piece of track with
                                  soldered rail joiner that is an inch or two from a tunnel portal? I'd
                                  rather get a notice in the mail that I'd been drafted. At least I'd get a
                                  chuckle when I told the draft board I was 65 with failing eye sight and
                                  tremors :o)

                                  Happy modeling to all us big boys and our toys.

                                  Loren

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                    "I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
                                    last guy was standing when he touched the module."..."

                                    Perhaps a burnt dummy with a "High Voltage" sign near by......
                                    DEWEY

                                    _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`