Table top modules...

  • fr_germany2000
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
      "Gert Velthuizen" <gertvelthuizen@...> schrieb:

      Friendz,

      Just to protect your lay-out at what ever height I have seen clubs and
      people that install clear styrene sheets at the facia of their
      exhibition material.

      Gert,

      I highly recomment this kind of protection at shows where many families
      with small children come such as Modellbahntreff Goeppingen. Otherwise
      you must always watch at children's fingers and remove them from the
      goodies.

      At expert model shows (such as Altenbeken, Zell or recently Neumuenster)
      this is not needed. I was running a very valuable pre-production
      loco sample the entire day at the module layout of Freundeskreis Spur Z
      Hamburg. No protection, no warning, no damage and no lost.

      See here:

      http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_01.wmv
      17 MB

      http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_02.wmv
      12 MB

      http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_03.wmv
      10,5 MB

      http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_04.wmv
      18 MB

      http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_05.wmv
      13,5 MB

      Harald

      --
      FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK
      Harald Thom-Freudenreich

    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
        I have been with Mr Dave's layout since about 2005. His layout is closer
        to the floor than any other layout I have seen. Most of it is
        "unprotected" except for one short area that is only about 12" off the
        floor and that does have an acrylic screen. I do not think anything has
        ever been taken. A couple of times we thought something was gone, but
        looking at some photos shows the item wasn't on the layout to begin with.
        I'd say the biggest problem are the little munchkin pointers -- kids just
        love to point and sometimes they get a little excited and can push a few
        cars onto their sides, but usually no big problem. A couple of years ago
        at a Houston show a couple of teenage girls showed up at the end of the
        show. It was painfully obvious they wanted a souvenir and were going to "grab
        & run". They didn't care what it was, just 'something'. Just VERY
        carefully keeping our eyes on them made them think this wasn't such a good
        idea. Other than that I don't think we have ever had any problems. We do
        have a bright yellow rope about 12" away from the table's perimeter, but
        other than that nothing.

        ..don

        On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM, <FR.model@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > "Gert Velthuizen" gertvelthuizen@...> schrieb:
        >
        > Friendz,
        >
        > Just to protect your lay-out at what ever height I have seen clubs and
        > people that install clear styrene sheets at the facia of their
        > exhibition material.
        >
        > Gert,
        >
        > I highly recomment this kind of protection at shows where many families
        > with small children come such as Modellbahntreff Goeppingen. Otherwise
        > you must always watch at children's fingers and remove them from the
        > goodies.
        >
        > At expert model shows (such as Altenbeken, Zell or recently Neumuenster)
        > this is not needed. I was running a very valuable pre-production
        > loco sample the entire day at the module layout of Freundeskreis Spur Z
        > Hamburg. No protection, no warning, no damage and no lost.
        >
        > See here:
        >
        > http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_01.wmv
        > 17 MB
        >
        > http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_02.wmv
        > 12 MB
        >
        > http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_03.wmv
        > 10,5 MB
        >
        > http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_04.wmv
        > 18 MB
        >
        > http://www.rainer-tielke-modellbau.com/Neumuenster_2013_SJ_Ra_05.wmv
        > 13,5 MB
        >
        > Harald
        >
        > --
        > FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK
        > Harald Thom-Freudenreich
        > Schwarzer Weg 1B
        > D-18190 Sanitz / Mecklenburg
        > Phone: +49 38209 49160 Fax: +49 38209 49161
        > e-mail: FR.model@... web: www.FR-model.de

        *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

      • FT. Dewey
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
          "I say slap the parent and train the child."

          And the parent would probably sue you for assault and battery !! (sigh.)

          DEWEY

          o _____ || |
          .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
          _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

          ________________________________
          From: David George
          Date: 3/5/2013 3:43:39 PM
          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [Z_Scale] .Table top modules...

          All Z scale modular standards, I believe, can be adapted to table top level.
          I have a large Z bendtrack layout that I moved to table top level in 2002 so
          "Munchkins" and also oldsters in wheel chairs can enjoy the fun with out
          being elevated by others.
          All facets of the Zbendtrack standard are adhered to in my show layout
          except the height.
          Cordially,
          Mister Dave

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
            Dewey,

            Years ago when Bill Kronenberger was still alive he told me of one lady who
            picked up a structure off his layout surface and said to her child....."see,
            it isn't glued down" Then she placed the building back on the layout in a
            different position than how it faced originally and walked off. Bill came
            close to going to prison that day for what he wanted to do to that lady. He
            told me he was speechless.

            I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. It is amazing
            some kids grow up to be decent citizens after the way they are not raised.

            The subject of rope barriers, signs, Plexiglass protective guards, even
            cattle prods, to control the masses has been discussed several times before.
            I guess the problem of touching and jarring will always be with display
            folks.

            It's the nature of the business, again...(sigh.)

            Loren

            "I say slap the parent and train the child."

            And the parent would probably sue you for assault and battery !! (sigh.)

            DEWEY

          • Ell
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 6, 2013
              A number of years back I was exhibiting with an HO scale modular group. One kid about 6 years old kept grabbing things. He even reached over a plexiglass barrier that was about 16 inches high. His grandfather (I assumed) stood behind him all the time and just let the kid do what he wanted. That venue was the only time I have had something stolen from a module. I refused to exhibit there anymore.

              I exhibit a 2 ft x 4 ft z-scale layout with a 16 in high hinged plexiglass sheet that goes around 3 sides. I set it up on a 30 in high table and have had very few problems. Most parents seem to do a pretty good job watching their little ones, but indeed the little ones can be quick.

              Ell

              > Dewey,
              >
              > Years ago when Bill Kronenberger was still alive he told me of one lady who
              > picked up a structure off his layout surface and said to her child....."see,
              > it isn't glued down" Then she placed the building back on the layout in a
              > different position than how it faced originally and walked off. Bill came
              > close to going to prison that day for what he wanted to do to that lady. He
              > told me he was speechless.
              >
              > I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. It is amazing
              > some kids grow up to be decent citizens after the way they are not raised.
              >
              > The subject of rope barriers, signs, Plexiglass protective guards, even
              > cattle prods, to control the masses has been discussed several times before.
              > I guess the problem of touching and jarring will always be with display
              > folks.
              >
              > It's the nature of the business, again...(sigh.)
              >
              > Loren

            • FT. Dewey
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 7, 2013
                "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "

                I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal consequences.
                DEWEY

                o _____ || |
                .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                ________________________________

                "I say slap the parent and train the child."

                And the parent would probably sue you for assault and battery !! (sigh.)

                DEWEY

              • Garth
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                  I have a piece of sign plastic in black and white it could be any colour and it says "KEEP YOUR COTTON PICKING HANDS OFF".

                  The other sign I have seen was done like a traffic prohibitive sign a red circle with a diagonal slash across it in inside the circle was a hand with a rail care held between thumb and fingers and it was hung on the skyboard and even the kids got that one and it created conversation between owner of display and the viewers.

                  regards Garth

                  I produces some interesting comments along the way but it does work.

                  > Dewey,
                  >
                  > Years ago when Bill Kronenberger was still alive he told me of one lady who
                  > picked up a structure off his layout surface and said to her child....."see,
                  > it isn't glued down" Then she placed the building back on the layout in a
                  > different position than how it faced originally and walked off. Bill came
                  > close to going to prison that day for what he wanted to do to that lady. He
                  > told me he was speechless.
                  >
                  > I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. It is amazing
                  > some kids grow up to be decent citizens after the way they are not raised.
                  >
                  > The subject of rope barriers, signs, Plexiglass protective guards, even
                  > cattle prods, to control the masses has been discussed several times before.
                  > I guess the problem of touching and jarring will always be with display
                  > folks.
                  >
                  > It's the nature of the business, again...(sigh.)
                  >
                  > Loren

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                    I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.

                    Ken Armstrong
                    Irmo, SC

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

                    > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
                    >
                    > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal consequences.
                    > DEWEY

                  • Don Avila
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                      That does NOT work in LA. Ask Garth or Mr Dave or Mrs Dave. We had an
                      ADULT screw up a kids toy and her argument was since it is out for the
                      public to see it is O.K. for the public to touch. I thought Mrs Dave George,
                      who is a licensed gun totter, was going to try it out.

                      ...d

                      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ken <kenarm322@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I have occasionally had the same urge. It is probably more effective, not
                      > to say legal, to make a scene and embarrass or humiliate parent - for
                      > example say loudly "Why haven't you taught him/her how to behave?" or some
                      > such. Lousy PR but they will not forget (and maybe never forgive) the
                      > experience. Sometimes the tongue can wound deeper than a sword.
                      >
                      > Ken Armstrong
                      > Irmo, SC
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > "I still say the parent should be whooped up side the head. "
                      > >
                      > > I agree. With a baseball bat.I was just pointing out the possible legal
                      > consequences.
                      > > DEWEY

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Here's one for you Garth.

                        I am so tempted to do like James Garner did in the movie, "Support your
                        local Sheriff". The jail cell was not quite completed due to the fact the
                        jail door had not been installed yet.

                        The sheriff took red paint and dribbled it on the floor outside the cell
                        before arresting Bruce Dern, the bad guy.

                        The sheriff told Bruce to get in the cell and Bruce asked "How do you plan
                        to keep me in this cell?" Then he noticed the red paint and asked what the
                        red color was, James said casually......"Oh that was where the last guy
                        tried to escape" Bruce jumped inside the cell enclosure quickly. One funny
                        moment in movie history.

                        I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
                        last guy was standing when he touched the module."

                        I have a piece of sign plastic in black and white it could be any colour and
                        it says "KEEP YOUR COTTON PICKING HANDS OFF".

                        The other sign I have seen was done like a traffic prohibitive sign a red
                        circle with a diagonal slash across it in inside the circle was a hand with
                        a rail care held between thumb and fingers and it was hung on the skyboard
                        and even the kids got that one and it created conversation between owner of
                        display and the viewers.

                        regards Garth

                        It produces some interesting comments along the way but it does work.

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                          Don,

                          It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
                          headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.

                          Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
                          can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
                          is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
                          directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
                          parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
                          to touch.

                          There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
                          Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
                          tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
                          hopefully.

                          I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
                          times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
                          moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.

                          Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
                          wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
                          threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
                          it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?

                          On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
                          touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
                          Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
                          they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
                          attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
                          especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
                          child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
                          a positive manner.

                          I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
                          hold and examine.

                          There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
                          moments we remember for a life time.

                          Loren

                          PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
                          went for Judy's gun"

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                            My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
                            want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.

                            I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
                            symbol.  One of my friends has a sign.It reads

                            If you would like to handle my trains.
                            Please not the Handleing Fee.
                            Engine $125.00
                            Freight cars $45.00
                            Caboose $35.00
                            I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
                            Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
                            I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
                            problem. I know I have several stories.

                            Perry

                          • Thomas Scheuzger
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                              I like the sign at my veterinarian's office:

                              Unattended Children Will Be Given a Cup of Espresso and a Puppy.

                              Made me look twice...

                              Tom

                              On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Perry A Pollino wrote:

                              > My favorite sign, and I have seen in on a couple displays. DO NOT TOUCH. If you
                              > want to touch soemthing take your kids to a petting zoo.
                              >
                              > I like the red circle with slash throught it sign idea. It is a universal
                              > symbol. One of my friends has a sign.It reads
                              >
                              > If you would like to handle my trains.
                              > Please not the Handleing Fee.
                              > Engine $125.00
                              > Freight cars $45.00
                              > Caboose $35.00
                              > I take cash check creditcard and Pay pal.
                              > Any un-authorised handling adds additional $25.00 fee.
                              > I think any of us that has dislplayed to the public has experineced this
                              > problem. I know I have several stories.
                              >
                              > Perry

                            • Loren Snyder
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                Now that is worth spending money on and making a nice big vinyl sign that
                                goes right beneath your group sign.

                                Two extra 'atta boys' for you Tom.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                  Considering this is a railroading forum why not just tie the parent to the tracks and ..... Those 1 foot gauge trains with the faces on them look like they could teach a parent a lesson too.

                                  Mark

                                  > Don,
                                  >
                                  > It is folks like that lady who make you appreciate a trip to the dentist, a
                                  > headache, gas, road blocks, tax increases, flat tires, and more.
                                  >
                                  > Seriously......I have found that raising my voice slightly so others around
                                  > can hear, and with a rather stern look on my face say, "Please don't touch"
                                  > is usually effective. Folks standing nearby look to see who the comment is
                                  > directed at and often times, the parent holding the child, (yes, in the
                                  > parent's arms even) then pull the child's hand back and tell the child not
                                  > to touch.
                                  >

                                  > There's nothing quite like having folks see that you haven't taught little
                                  > Johnny not to touch without asking. Parents get the point and when they
                                  > tell their child not to touch, the teaching and learning moment occurs......
                                  > hopefully.
                                  >
                                  > I know that little Johnny is going to need that lesson repeated a number of
                                  > times to become a part of his/her makeup, but at least it is a positive
                                  > moment in the life of the child and parent..........I hope.
                                  >
                                  > Of course, there are some parents who are dumber than a sack of potatoes who
                                  > wouldn't understand even if you took them by the nap of the neck and
                                  > threatened to pull their eye teeth without anesthesia. Now that I think of
                                  > it, that isn't a bad idea.....know what I mean Verne?
                                  >
                                  > On the flip side, when I see a parent pull Johnny's hand back and say "Don't
                                  > touch", I make it a point to cheerfully say with a big smile on my face,
                                  > Thank you, I appreciate that" That makes mom or dad feel good and they know
                                  > they are being watched and it is a positive moment of interaction between
                                  > attendee and modeler. It often gives opportunity for more interaction
                                  > especially if you then engage the child in conversation about trains. The
                                  > child feels special and the parent likes to have his/her child addressed in
                                  > a positive manner.
                                  >
                                  > I believe it is Garth who will often have a car or two to let little folks
                                  > hold and examine.
                                  >
                                  > There are some very positive moments at train shows, but it is the few bad
                                  > moments we remember for a life time.
                                  >
                                  > Loren
                                  >
                                  > PS. If Judy did try out her side arm, I'd testify, "Honest judge, the man
                                  > went for Judy's gun"

                                • Nathan Leon
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                    Everyone has a lot of hours invested in their projects and some like to show them to the public.   Some do it out of pride, some as a service to encourage new members to the hobby, and some for fun.   Can anyone really do enough damage to your module that you couldn't fix it?   It's not worth the bad PR to appear grumpy when we are ambassadors to the hobby.

                                    Damage is part of railroading anyways.  So let the anger go.  My grandkids destroy stuff, I fix it.  They will always remember the fun and their happy grandpa.  Behind the scenes I'm busy keeping the railroad running.  The same is true with the public.

                                    My 2 cents.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                      Nathan

                                      I'm not sure if you have had a layout at a show -- BUT
                                      Please don't touch
                                      Do NOT touch
                                      Keep your hands off
                                      Don't you understand English
                                      Dang it, do we have to call the cops
                                      ....and these comments are addressed to the adults -- this is what we are
                                      talking about. Little kids point, and sometimes they overshoot -- and you
                                      get a few cars dumped over. It is a pain to set them back up in a working
                                      show, but that is not our main complaint. It is the adult who thinks they
                                      are a hot ticket and can do anything they want that cause 95% of the
                                      problems. Adults who have a large liquid soppy drink while holding the cup
                                      at arms length and over the layout. Wet liquid dumped on the layout is not
                                      just causing a little problem. They cause serious damage -- and as soon as
                                      it happens they take off. I have never seen one ask if they can pay for
                                      their EXPENSIVE damage. Believe me that is not what the exhibitioner is
                                      expecting.

                                      ...don

                                      --
                                      *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                                    • Loren Snyder
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 8, 2013
                                        Nathan,

                                        I see your point, but that doesn't make the pain of suffering damage to our
                                        layouts any less palatable. Any damage is a step backward for the modeler.
                                        Will accidents happen?......you bet.

                                        We as module exhibitors need to be vigilant, diplomatic, kind, firm,
                                        informative, and friendly as you allude to. The only grumpy folks I have
                                        ever observed are the old guys in larger scales who like to set their trains
                                        a running and then sit back in the inner circle and yak while ignoring the
                                        obvious opportunity to share and grow the hobby.

                                        You are so right when you call us ambassadors. Some are good, some are
                                        great, and some are, well, maybe they shouldn't have shown up if it hurts
                                        that much to smile and talk to strangers.

                                        I think it safe to say we are all on the same page about being concerned
                                        about damage to our trains, good PR, and enjoying the hobby with all
                                        concerned.

                                        With that said, I do have to smile a bit when I consider Mark's solution of
                                        tying the adult to the tracks......
                                        There is a certain poetic justice to the idea. Of course, the clean up
                                        would be a bummer.

                                        One more thing regarding your comment, 'can anyone really do enough damage
                                        to your module that you couldn't fix it?'

                                        Probably not, but have you ever tried to repair a piece of track with
                                        soldered rail joiner that is an inch or two from a tunnel portal? I'd
                                        rather get a notice in the mail that I'd been drafted. At least I'd get a
                                        chuckle when I told the draft board I was 65 with failing eye sight and
                                        tremors :o)

                                        Happy modeling to all us big boys and our toys.

                                        Loren

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 9, 2013
                                          "I wonder if that would work at train shows?........"Oh that is where the
                                          last guy was standing when he touched the module."..."

                                          Perhaps a burnt dummy with a "High Voltage" sign near by......
                                          DEWEY

                                          _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`