Re: Hello....

  • scottandrews68
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hey Thom,

      thanks for the welcome. I'm located up in Northern California about 30mins south of San Francisco. I'm sure as i delve into this i'll have many a question. I visited with club in this area that uses the sbendtrack standard. I look at it last evening and it was an eyeopener. I've alway take the approach to modeling as grabbing a 4x8 sheet of wood and laying out some loops and whatnot. The modular approach looks a lot more fun an flexible.
      Thanks
      Scott

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rvn20012000" <rvn20012000@...> wrote:

      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > Welcome to Z scale!! I had a really nice reply typed but it must have gotten lost in the Yahoo ether.
      > Here are links to 4 different module standards if you're interested.
      >
      > http://zbendtrack.com/
      >
      > http://www.zmod.no/
      >
      > http://www.t-trak.org/

      > The top 2 are free-standing modules and the bottom 2 are table-top modules. If you don't mind me asking, in what area do you live? Ztrack Magazine has a list of active module groups.
      >
      > Feel free to ask any questions you might have...there are plenty of people here to help.
      >
      > Thom Welsch
      > MidweZt HaulerZ
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
        Well Scott,

        Both Thom and I lose out on your joining our groups, but you are very
        fortunate to be in the neighborhood of the BAZ boys. Looks like you are
        just a few miles from Fremont, home Robert Ray, one of the best Z scalers
        and modelers on the West coast.

        You are in true Z country and I highly urge you to introduce yourself to
        Jeff Merrill, Robert Ray, Matthew Petach, and others from BAZ.

        You will thoroughly enjoy their company. Not to bad mouth Thom from
        Midwest Z Haulers as those guys also put on fine shows, but I'm a bit biased
        when I say the West coast boasts of 5 Z groups from Seattle down to the LA
        area.

        I used to attend the BAZ shows, but distance and lack of millions has kind
        of curtailed my Z adventures of late.

        Only $4.35 a gallon......and you are complaining why? Come up to Medford
        and spend about $3.80 for basic unleaded. See, that is why I don't venture
        far from home any more.

        Do join the different groups and share with us all. We're all family.

        Best,
        Loren

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
          Get off the gas prices and stay on topic.
          Scott, sure hope that was you that stopped by the World's Greatest Hobby show at the San Mateo Event Center last weekend ! We get together pretty much just get together to run trains at these types of shows or some local event (hence the Z-Bend Track module standard). However, each of us periodically work on our modules or help with newcomers. Home layouts or what we cal BYOZ (bring your own Z for shows, office or education) are both discussed amongst us SF Bay Area Z BoyZ.

          Jeff
          SF Bay Area Z

          Sent 'from the road'

          On Mar 4, 2013, at 3:34 PM, "scottandrews68" <scott@...> wrote:

          > Hey Thom,
          >
          > thanks for the welcome. I'm located up in Northern California about 30mins south of San Francisco. I'm sure as i delve into this i'll have many a question. I visited with club in this area that uses the sbendtrack standard. I look at it last evening and it was an eyeopener. I've alway take the approach to modeling as grabbing a 4x8 sheet of wood and laying out some loops and whatnot. The modular approach looks a lot more fun an flexible.
          > Thanks
          > Scott
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rvn20012000" wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Scott,
          > >
          > > Welcome to Z scale!! I had a really nice reply typed but it must have gotten lost in the Yahoo ether.
          > > Here are links to 4 different module standards if you're interested.
          > >
          > > http://zbendtrack.com/
          > >
          > > http://www.zmod.no/
          > >
          > > http://www.t-trak.org/

          > > The top 2 are free-standing modules and the bottom 2 are table-top modules. If you don't mind me asking, in what area do you live? Ztrack Magazine has a list of active module groups.
          > >
          > > Feel free to ask any questions you might have...there are plenty of people here to help.
          > >
          > > Thom Welsch
          > > MidweZt HaulerZ

        • Greg Elmassian
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
            Gentlemen, Let's get off the gas price topic right now please.

            I'm sitting on 2 messages that will not be approved because now the discussion is turning political one country vs. another, or comments on our government.

            More "gas" comments may be removed... let's enjoy trains!!

            Greg

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "scottandrews68" <scott@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm a new member/enthusiast. I look forward to expanding my z knowledge. My son and I are planning on building some modular sections, and I'm sure well have may questions. I'm not new to layouts in general, however modular is very new.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Scott

          • dr strangelove
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2013
              I think the BAZ guys are the best Z scalers in the US.Amazing stuff.I traveled 5000 miles to check them out.