Re: Hello....

  • rvn20012000
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi Scott,

      Welcome to Z scale!! I had a really nice reply typed but it must have gotten lost in the Yahoo ether.
      Here are links to 4 different module standards if you're interested.

      http://zbendtrack.com/

      http://www.zmod.no/

      http://www.t-trak.org/

      The top 2 are free-standing modules and the bottom 2 are table-top modules. If you don't mind me asking, in what area do you live? Ztrack Magazine has a list of active module groups.

      Feel free to ask any questions you might have...there are plenty of people here to help.

      Thom Welsch
      MidweZt HaulerZ

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "scottandrews68" <scott@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm a new member/enthusiast. I look forward to expanding my z knowledge. My son and I are planning on building some modular sections, and I'm sure well have may questions. I'm not new to layouts in general, however modular is very new.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Scott

    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
        Scott,

        I too welcome you to Z scale. While Thom is correct in contacting Z Track
        to find local Z groups, I must confess that both Thom and I hope you are in
        our respective neck of the woods as we'd love to have you hook up with our
        own local groups. I'm in Medford Oregon and Thom is somewhere out East
        where the weather isn't as nice, the gas is higher, the freeways more
        clogged and a host of other negatives in Thom's favor. Just kidding, but
        all of us involved in Z scale welcome you to the tiny, fascinating,
        challenging and very rewarding world of Z scale. Knowing the luck that
        Thom and I have, you probably live in Hawaii or some other troubled area...
        :o)

        It is certainly true, many folks will be glad to assist you in your Z
        adventure. The best part of your post?.......you and your son are planning
        a layout. That is music to our ears. Out of snoopy curiosity, is your wife
        on board for this adventure? Having a wife/mom approve is the best possible
        situation a man can have.

        All the best,

        Loren Snyder
        Southern Oregon Z SOZ

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
          Hey Thom,

          thanks for the welcome. I'm located up in Northern California about 30mins south of San Francisco. I'm sure as i delve into this i'll have many a question. I visited with club in this area that uses the sbendtrack standard. I look at it last evening and it was an eyeopener. I've alway take the approach to modeling as grabbing a 4x8 sheet of wood and laying out some loops and whatnot. The modular approach looks a lot more fun an flexible.
          Thanks
          Scott

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rvn20012000" <rvn20012000@...> wrote:

          > Hi Scott,
          >
          > Welcome to Z scale!! I had a really nice reply typed but it must have gotten lost in the Yahoo ether.
          > Here are links to 4 different module standards if you're interested.
          >
          > http://zbendtrack.com/
          >
          > http://www.zmod.no/
          >
          > http://www.t-trak.org/

          > The top 2 are free-standing modules and the bottom 2 are table-top modules. If you don't mind me asking, in what area do you live? Ztrack Magazine has a list of active module groups.
          >
          > Feel free to ask any questions you might have...there are plenty of people here to help.
          >
          > Thom Welsch
          > MidweZt HaulerZ
        • scottandrews68
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
            Hi Loren,

            Thank you for the welcome as well. I'm up in Belmont California, just south of San Francisco. The weather is very nice here, however, $4.35 a gallon for gas should probably get first place for highest price. Not sure to :) or :( on that one. lol.

            Again thanks for the welcome. I'm sure to be posting some questions shortly.

            Scott

            > Scott,
            >
            > I too welcome you to Z scale. While Thom is correct in contacting Z Track
            > to find local Z groups, I must confess that both Thom and I hope you are in
            > our respective neck of the woods as we'd love to have you hook up with our
            > own local groups. I'm in Medford Oregon and Thom is somewhere out East
            > where the weather isn't as nice, the gas is higher, the freeways more
            > clogged and a host of other negatives in Thom's favor. Just kidding, but
            > all of us involved in Z scale welcome you to the tiny, fascinating,
            > challenging and very rewarding world of Z scale. Knowing the luck that
            > Thom and I have, you probably live in Hawaii or some other troubled area...
            > :o)
            >
            > It is certainly true, many folks will be glad to assist you in your Z
            > adventure. The best part of your post?.......you and your son are planning
            > a layout. That is music to our ears. Out of snoopy curiosity, is your wife
            > on board for this adventure? Having a wife/mom approve is the best possible
            > situation a man can have.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Loren Snyder
            > Southern Oregon Z SOZ
          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
              Well Scott,

              Both Thom and I lose out on your joining our groups, but you are very
              fortunate to be in the neighborhood of the BAZ boys. Looks like you are
              just a few miles from Fremont, home Robert Ray, one of the best Z scalers
              and modelers on the West coast.

              You are in true Z country and I highly urge you to introduce yourself to
              Jeff Merrill, Robert Ray, Matthew Petach, and others from BAZ.

              You will thoroughly enjoy their company. Not to bad mouth Thom from
              Midwest Z Haulers as those guys also put on fine shows, but I'm a bit biased
              when I say the West coast boasts of 5 Z groups from Seattle down to the LA
              area.

              I used to attend the BAZ shows, but distance and lack of millions has kind
              of curtailed my Z adventures of late.

              Only $4.35 a gallon......and you are complaining why? Come up to Medford
              and spend about $3.80 for basic unleaded. See, that is why I don't venture
              far from home any more.

              Do join the different groups and share with us all. We're all family.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
                Get off the gas prices and stay on topic.
                Scott, sure hope that was you that stopped by the World's Greatest Hobby show at the San Mateo Event Center last weekend ! We get together pretty much just get together to run trains at these types of shows or some local event (hence the Z-Bend Track module standard). However, each of us periodically work on our modules or help with newcomers. Home layouts or what we cal BYOZ (bring your own Z for shows, office or education) are both discussed amongst us SF Bay Area Z BoyZ.

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                Sent 'from the road'

                On Mar 4, 2013, at 3:34 PM, "scottandrews68" <scott@...> wrote:

                > Hey Thom,
                >
                > thanks for the welcome. I'm located up in Northern California about 30mins south of San Francisco. I'm sure as i delve into this i'll have many a question. I visited with club in this area that uses the sbendtrack standard. I look at it last evening and it was an eyeopener. I've alway take the approach to modeling as grabbing a 4x8 sheet of wood and laying out some loops and whatnot. The modular approach looks a lot more fun an flexible.
                > Thanks
                > Scott
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rvn20012000" wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Scott,
                > >
                > > Welcome to Z scale!! I had a really nice reply typed but it must have gotten lost in the Yahoo ether.
                > > Here are links to 4 different module standards if you're interested.
                > >
                > > http://zbendtrack.com/
                > >
                > > http://www.zmod.no/
                > >
                > > http://www.t-trak.org/

                > > The top 2 are free-standing modules and the bottom 2 are table-top modules. If you don't mind me asking, in what area do you live? Ztrack Magazine has a list of active module groups.
                > >
                > > Feel free to ask any questions you might have...there are plenty of people here to help.
                > >
                > > Thom Welsch
                > > MidweZt HaulerZ

              • Greg Elmassian
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
                  Gentlemen, Let's get off the gas price topic right now please.

                  I'm sitting on 2 messages that will not be approved because now the discussion is turning political one country vs. another, or comments on our government.

                  More "gas" comments may be removed... let's enjoy trains!!

                  Greg

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "scottandrews68" <scott@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I'm a new member/enthusiast. I look forward to expanding my z knowledge. My son and I are planning on building some modular sections, and I'm sure well have may questions. I'm not new to layouts in general, however modular is very new.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Scott

                • dr strangelove
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2013
                    I think the BAZ guys are the best Z scalers in the US.Amazing stuff.I traveled 5000 miles to check them out.