MTL and Marklin track

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
      I have searched the forum databases for hints and tricks of joining MTL and Marklin track, but must have been asking the wrong questions.

      Does anybody have some ideas in that regard? I want to use Marklin track on the layout, but I need to use two MTL through girder bridges and they have MTL track built in.

      Thanks for your help.

      Michael
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi Michael,all,
        From what I found out M�rklin is code 60 and MTL is
        code 55,so there is a difference in size.
        Depending on your skill ,one can bend a rail joiner or solder the rails so
        that there is smooth and even transition.Shims can help also.

        Best,Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2013
          Kev, Michael,
          There is also a difference in tread width between Märklin and MTL (27 mils vs. 18 mils) which might be more significant. Also it seemed to me that the rail profile for the bridge section was different than the straight section, so you may want to check it.
          Garth had am excellent table of track measurements on his Nn3 web site that I downloaded a while back and have been maintaining for my own use. With his permission, I'd be willing to upload it.

          Mark