Re: First look at Arduino-based throttle

  • Jeff Faust
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
      Just under 9 volts maximum (I checked), supplied by a 9V wall wart. The loco is 35 years old, and doesn't run too well at low speeds, so I ran it a little fast for the video. I need to do some further cleaning and lube on it. (The track will get some additional feeders in the finished layout, which ought to help, too.)

      I should note that this project replaces the '70s-vintage MRC Trainpack, 12V max, that came with the trains. Waaaaaay more likely to smoke the motor with that beast.

      Setting a maximum speed with the Arduino throttle is as easy as changing one constant in the software. I've got some further coding yet to do, and a momentum effect for sleep mode is also on my list.

      The minimum sleep delay will probably be stretched out to 30 seconds or more (it's at 10 seconds now for testing purposes). The idea with the motion sensor is that the layout stays running as long as there's somebody in the room, and shuts off automatically when they've stepped away.

      --Jeff

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, BAZ <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

      > Nice concept but looks like it puts out ~9+ volts as that is *fast* ! 100+ scale MPH. Motor won't last long at that rate.
      >
      > Can you either reduce the supply voltage or, add a 'scale' control to modify the PWM duty cycle (on Vs. off).
      >
      > Add a 'Momentum' function so it ramps up and down for the running speed.
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > On Feb 26, 2013, at 4:25 PM, "Jeff Faust" <jfaust42@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I got enough of the components soldered together to give my Arduino Z scale throttle a test:
      > >
      > > http://youtu.be/H_LSWmtni3k
      > >
      > > Still to come: a couple of structure lighting circuits added to the board, a custom-fabbed front panel (here you see a paper proof of it), and installation in the front fascia of the finished layout. I plan to post full details when the project is finished.
      > >
      > > --Jeff

    • Melissa Cull
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
        Hi Jeff,

        Very interesting use for the Arduino look forward to hearing more on it's
        uses in model railway control of locomotives and accessories.

        Linked to a Rasberry Pi it could have some fantastic potential for cost
        effective complex control of multiple Arduino control modules.

        Kind RegardZ

        Melissa
        UK

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
          Thx for summary. Clean and more likely re-lubrication with modern lines should help but brushes or more likely commutator gaps could be the issue. Just 2 sets of feeders should *more* than enough for this small layout.

          Sent 'from the road'