Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin F7 Spares Issue - wheel set (treibradsatz) part number?

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      Hi Frank,all,

      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, zscalehobo <zscalehobo@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > >He has one that is in dire need of a new set of drive wheels ... the
      > metal plating is peeling off the wheel, leaving exposed brass below. This
      > wheelset has a gear mechanism in the middle of it.
      > See the wheelset here:
      > http://zscalehobo.com/photos/marklin/bn_f7_truck_set.jpg <

      Brass?Maybe an alloy but not brass.Have you cleaned the units and
      re-tested? I just redid a 30+ M unit and saw no signs of 'peeling' on the
      wheels.

      > >I have pulled the various part number sheets and found that the same item
      > (19 or 14) on the charts is not a valid part number any longer. Anyone know
      > the part number to order or if there is a part number for the entire F7
      > truck assembly?<

      M�rklin changed spare part numbers and added a letter in front of them.So
      hard to search without knowing.They also -now- to purchase 10 spare parts
      at a time but this might be helpful if you doing a lot of repairs.

      > >Any insight is appreciated as I am trying to advance my locomotive
      > service capabilities. It will be difficult without spares.<

      I do not know if any US M dealers keep an inventory of spare parts,you
      might want to seek out German dealers who do:

      http://www.lokshop.de/

      http://stores.ebay.com/lok-doctor

      Dr D

      --
      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • zscalehobo
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

        > Hi Frank,all,
        >
        > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, zscalehobo <zscalehobo@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > >He has one that is in dire need of a new set of drive wheels ... the
        > > metal plating is peeling off the wheel, leaving exposed brass below. This
        > > wheelset has a gear mechanism in the middle of it.
        > > See the wheelset here:
        > > http://zscalehobo.com/photos/marklin/bn_f7_truck_set.jpg <
        > >
        > Brass?Maybe an alloy but not brass.Have you cleaned the units and
        > re-tested? I just redid a 30+ M unit and saw no signs of 'peeling' on the
        > wheels.

        *************
        Frank zhobo said:
        From looking at this unit, the wheel is plated with a silver-colored alloy ... I'd guess at 100-150 microns thick ... below is a copper-gold-brass-colored metal that is the base material. Short of throwing it into an EDAX chamber, I was simply guessing. No, this is not material caked onto it. This is the flash/coating/plating that is backed away exposing the base material. This is the only unit i've ever seen showing this.

        Yes, what I am doing for this customer is removing all the gunk, dust, debris, chunks of "stuff" that are keeping the loks from moving. They are running great, except for this ugly visual on the wheelset on his shiny silver "Burlington" F7. Nice looking lok.
        *************

        > > >I have pulled the various part number sheets and found that the same item
        > > (19 or 14) on the charts is not a valid part number any longer. Anyone know
        > > the part number to order or if there is a part number for the entire F7
        > > truck assembly?<
        > >
        > Märklin changed spare part numbers and added a letter in front of them.So
        > hard to search without knowing.They also -now- to purchase 10 spare parts
        > at a time but this might be helpful if you doing a lot of repairs.

        *************
        Frank zhobo said
        Yeah, the number/letter combinations are not working and Lokshop has been unable to help me as of yet.
        *************

        > > >Any insight is appreciated as I am trying to advance my locomotive
        > > service capabilities. It will be difficult without spares.<
        > >
        > I do not know if any US M dealers keep an inventory of spare parts,you
        > might want to seek out German dealers who do:
        >
        > http://www.lokshop.de/
        >
        > http://stores.ebay.com/lok-doctor

        *************
        Frank zhobo said
        Thanks! Still trying to find the parts at Lokshop. Lokdoctor had radsatz (wheelsets), but not triebradsatz (wheelsets with gears).
        *************

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi Frank,all,

          On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM, zscalehobo <zscalehobo@...> wrote:

          **

          > Yes, what I am doing for this customer is removing all the gunk, dust,
          > debris, chunks of "stuff" that are keeping the loks from moving. They are
          > running great, except for this ugly visual on the wheelset on his shiny
          > silver "Burlington" F7. Nice looking lok.<
          >
          > Sounds about right! :-)

          > *************
          > Frank zhobo said
          > Yeah, the number/letter combinations are not working and Lokshop has been
          > unable to help me as of yet.
          > *************

          Mother changed the numbers so even a dealesr has to update the data bank!

          > Frank zhobo said
          > Thanks! Still trying to find the parts at Lokshop. Lokdoctor had radsatz
          > (wheelsets), but not triebradsatz (wheelsets with gears).

          Anytime !I do not know if this will be an an interest to the group but feel
          free to email me if you want talk it over.Doing that old BR 103(
          DB,electric lok) taught me a lot!

          Best,Kev