Marklin F7 Spares Issue - wheel set (treibradsatz) part number?

  • zscalehobo
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      A customer asked me to revive 5 of his Marklin F7's diesel locomotives that were running very poorly after sitting for 10+ years.

      He has one that is in dire need of a new set of drive wheels ... the metal plating is peeling off the wheel, leaving exposed brass below. This wheelset has a gear mechanism in the middle of it.
      See the wheelset here: http://zscalehobo.com/photos/marklin/bn_f7_truck_set.jpg

      I have pulled the various part number sheets and found that the same item (19 or 14) on the charts is not a valid part number any longer. Anyone know the part number to order or if there is a part number for the entire F7 truck assembly?

      I have looked here:
      http://www.maerklin.com/en/service/search/spare_parts/spare_parts/gauge_z.html?page=1&perpage=299

      Under the various F7's, I find the wheelset "treibradsatz" can have many numbers ... here are the numbers I find:
      216476 (via 81830's part sheet, item 14 on F7)
      E185235 HAMO WHEEL F4171 (via 8809's part sheet, item 19)
      (via 8809's part sheet, item 19)
      26561 E185235 HAMO WHEEL F4171 (via 8819's part sheet, item 19)
      26561 E185235 HAMO WHEEL F4171 (via 8860's part sheet, item 19)
      265610 (via 88601's part sheet, item 14)
      265610 (via 88602's part sheet, item 14)
      26561 (via 8861's part sheet, item 19)
      216476 (via 88321 spare sheet, item 22)

      More intereseting is that on the 88190, I see the TRUCK as an entire assembly:
      http://www.maerklin.de/service/productservice/listengenerator.php?brand=1&artikelnummer=88190
      Item 7 Drehgestell vorne 167858 (front truck assy)
      Item 8 Drehgestell hinten 167859 (rear truck assy)

      Does anyone know the presently available F7 wheelset part number?

      Is Marklin no longer offering the wheel and only selling the entire truck assembly?

      Any insight is appreciated as I am trying to advance my locomotive service capabilities. It will be difficult without spares.

      Regards,
      Frank Daniels
      z.scale.hobo
      Irvine, CA, USA
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        Hi Frank,all,

        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, zscalehobo <zscalehobo@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > >He has one that is in dire need of a new set of drive wheels ... the
        > metal plating is peeling off the wheel, leaving exposed brass below. This
        > wheelset has a gear mechanism in the middle of it.
        > See the wheelset here:
        > http://zscalehobo.com/photos/marklin/bn_f7_truck_set.jpg <

        Brass?Maybe an alloy but not brass.Have you cleaned the units and
        re-tested? I just redid a 30+ M unit and saw no signs of 'peeling' on the
        wheels.

        > >I have pulled the various part number sheets and found that the same item
        > (19 or 14) on the charts is not a valid part number any longer. Anyone know
        > the part number to order or if there is a part number for the entire F7
        > truck assembly?<

        M�rklin changed spare part numbers and added a letter in front of them.So
        hard to search without knowing.They also -now- to purchase 10 spare parts
        at a time but this might be helpful if you doing a lot of repairs.

        > >Any insight is appreciated as I am trying to advance my locomotive
        > service capabilities. It will be difficult without spares.<

        I do not know if any US M dealers keep an inventory of spare parts,you
        might want to seek out German dealers who do:

        http://www.lokshop.de/

        http://stores.ebay.com/lok-doctor

        Dr D

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • zscalehobo
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

          > Hi Frank,all,
          >
          > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, zscalehobo <zscalehobo@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > >He has one that is in dire need of a new set of drive wheels ... the
          > > metal plating is peeling off the wheel, leaving exposed brass below. This
          > > wheelset has a gear mechanism in the middle of it.
          > > See the wheelset here:
          > > http://zscalehobo.com/photos/marklin/bn_f7_truck_set.jpg <
          > >
          > Brass?Maybe an alloy but not brass.Have you cleaned the units and
          > re-tested? I just redid a 30+ M unit and saw no signs of 'peeling' on the
          > wheels.

          *************
          Frank zhobo said:
          From looking at this unit, the wheel is plated with a silver-colored alloy ... I'd guess at 100-150 microns thick ... below is a copper-gold-brass-colored metal that is the base material. Short of throwing it into an EDAX chamber, I was simply guessing. No, this is not material caked onto it. This is the flash/coating/plating that is backed away exposing the base material. This is the only unit i've ever seen showing this.

          Yes, what I am doing for this customer is removing all the gunk, dust, debris, chunks of "stuff" that are keeping the loks from moving. They are running great, except for this ugly visual on the wheelset on his shiny silver "Burlington" F7. Nice looking lok.
          *************

          > > >I have pulled the various part number sheets and found that the same item
          > > (19 or 14) on the charts is not a valid part number any longer. Anyone know
          > > the part number to order or if there is a part number for the entire F7
          > > truck assembly?<
          > >
          > Märklin changed spare part numbers and added a letter in front of them.So
          > hard to search without knowing.They also -now- to purchase 10 spare parts
          > at a time but this might be helpful if you doing a lot of repairs.

          *************
          Frank zhobo said
          Yeah, the number/letter combinations are not working and Lokshop has been unable to help me as of yet.
          *************

          > > >Any insight is appreciated as I am trying to advance my locomotive
          > > service capabilities. It will be difficult without spares.<
          > >
          > I do not know if any US M dealers keep an inventory of spare parts,you
          > might want to seek out German dealers who do:
          >
          > http://www.lokshop.de/
          >
          > http://stores.ebay.com/lok-doctor

          *************
          Frank zhobo said
          Thanks! Still trying to find the parts at Lokshop. Lokdoctor had radsatz (wheelsets), but not triebradsatz (wheelsets with gears).
          *************

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
            Hi Frank,all,

            On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM, zscalehobo <zscalehobo@...> wrote:

            **

            > Yes, what I am doing for this customer is removing all the gunk, dust,
            > debris, chunks of "stuff" that are keeping the loks from moving. They are
            > running great, except for this ugly visual on the wheelset on his shiny
            > silver "Burlington" F7. Nice looking lok.<
            >
            > Sounds about right! :-)

            > *************
            > Frank zhobo said
            > Yeah, the number/letter combinations are not working and Lokshop has been
            > unable to help me as of yet.
            > *************

            Mother changed the numbers so even a dealesr has to update the data bank!

            > Frank zhobo said
            > Thanks! Still trying to find the parts at Lokshop. Lokdoctor had radsatz
            > (wheelsets), but not triebradsatz (wheelsets with gears).

            Anytime !I do not know if this will be an an interest to the group but feel
            free to email me if you want talk it over.Doing that old BR 103(
            DB,electric lok) taught me a lot!

            Best,Kev